Well, I got that JVM 517 error/white screen of death and Verizon is sending me a replacement phone (I don't have a PC to do a wipe) and I am wondering where to go from here.

I have a Mac, and did a backup very recently (thankfully!) and I was just wondering when I get my new BB do I just plug it in and restore from a back up, or use the device switch wizard to restore from backup?

Also, just a little rant, I must say that its pretty ridiculous that in 2011 a phone like this is having common problems of this JVM error that completely renders the phone useless making the user either wipe it completely clean or wait for a new device. Never heard of something like this happening to any Android device or iPhone (at least an error like this that isn't reversible... Blackberry doesn't even allow you to backup your 3rd party apps... come on... its like we are still using the operating system from 5 years ago... just a little quicker and 'prettier')

The only problem I think that may have caused the white screen was when I downloaded Shazam (obviously not a version specifically for the 9930, but it worked). That was the last app I installed, but its worked for others without causing a crash.
    10-28-11 12:34 AM
    Just curious as to why you would ask for a replacement device just because of a minor software issue? All you had to do is reload the software. A new device won't change that. Just curious.

Anyway, you can just restore it from the backup that you have on the computer. The Device Switch Wizard won't work at this point. But the Restore should work without issues.
    10-28-11 06:05 AM
    ^Guess you didn't read my post. It isn't a minor software issue... its the 'nuked blackberry' issue. and I have a Mac, which doesn't recognize the device and can't load software. Tried my friends PC and that computer doesn't recognize it either. How can I reload? (And honestly, it would be easier for me to get a new device than go through the steps of doing that backdoor/loophole reload which may or may not even work for me...)
    10-28-11 09:10 AM
    The white screen is such a pain. I don't own a computer so I had to go find one to use to reload. Such a hassle.

In the end, with my tour, the white screen happened twice and I just got a replacement. I don't have the resources nor time to be messing with a phone that should just work.

Never had that issue on my Android. I'm hoping one I do get the 9930 all the bugs will be resolved.

Glad for BB protect too!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-28-11 at 09:20 AM.
    10-28-11 09:17 AM
    ^Yes, BB protect will save my life if the restore doesn't put everything back the way it was.

Im waiting to see what the iPhone5 looks like... might switch if QNX BBs don't work out
    10-28-11 09:19 AM
    Just curious as to why you would ask for a replacement device just because of a minor software issue? All you had to do is reload the software. A new device won't change that. Just curious.

Anyway, you can just restore it from the backup that you have on the computer. The Device Switch Wizard won't work at this point. But the Restore should work without issues.
    As the OP said, it's not a minor software issue. Many 9900/30's are having JVM issues that render the device useless. In many cases the device cannot be recognized by any program and must be sent in for a replacement.
    SaMaster14 and Chrisy like this.
    10-28-11 12:03 PM

CX is correct, a hardware related JVM 517 error where the flash memory is corrupted is terminal.

KB19442-Hardware related JVM error codes

Replacement is the only option here, you can't reload the OS with these errors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    SaMaster14 and Chrisy like this.
    10-28-11 12:41 PM
    Any ideas on how this could have happened? Could an app have done it? Or is it just an error with the OS?

I had done reboots after my OS update to the newest official VZW release... but I did download Shazam, as I stated which was not an official release app, and don't remember if this was the first battery pull I did after installing that app or not.
    10-28-11 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD