As much as I would like to upgrade now that the os7 devices are starting to roll out, it looks like I will be using this 9650 for a while longer. (I'm eyeballing the new curves that haven't been anounced yet)

So I'm thinking of replacing my worn keyboard, My searching has found me both new and used oem replacement keyboards, but I'm wondering if a new oem replacement will fix the paint chipping/rubbing off issue or if there is a non-oem keyboard that is better and will wear longer.

Is paint wearing off the keys and replacing the keyboard every few months considered normal maintence for the Bolds? I know there are a lot of threads on this subject already but I haven't found one that specifically answers my question about what to buy. It's possible (probable) that I missed it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 09:46 AM
    dairy,
    If it was me i would go with OEM parts just for the fact that they will fit a lot better than the aftermarket parts will. As for the wearing of the keys I have had my 9650 since november of last year and the only wear i have is on the E key and the I key. Not enough for me to care but you can see it. The coating on my trackpad came of before the keys started to show wear.

If there is wear on your keys that means you are using your 'berry the way you are supposed to
    08-16-11 02:11 PM
    I must agree also. I've changed out my track pad and keyboard several times and have used both oem and non oem parts and for me the oem parts fit better. I think the paint and trackpad flaking issue is always going to be a factor at least for these phones. For me to replace the keypad or trackpad due to wear and tear is not a big deal and worth the time and energy! Go with oem parts!

08-17-11 03:21 AM
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will think I will let the wear get a little worse and then pop in a new oem keyboard.

The wear has seemed to slow down a little. Not getting noticibly worse week by week. Maybe it was the holster that was causing most of the trouble.

08-17-11 06:05 AM
    I really think the only way to get away from the wear issue on a keyboard would be to make the damn thing out of metal with etched lettering. Not really cost effective.
    08-18-11 02:00 PM
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will think I will let the wear get a little worse and then pop in a new oem keyboard.

The wear has seemed to slow down a little. Not getting noticibly worse week by week. Maybe it was the holster that was causing most of the trouble.

How bad is your keyboard? I've had my 9650 for 14 months and just have a tiny bit of wear on my I A and D keys.
    08-18-11 02:05 PM
    How bad is your keyboard? I've had my 9650 for 14 months and just have a tiny bit of wear on my I A and D keys.
    D F G J L del V B N $ return left&right shift sym and 0 are the only keys that have no wear on them.

The rest show wear ranging from just a white spot showing to larger spots worn away so light shows through.

Nothing bad enough that I can't tell what letter is on the key but it is rather annoying at night when the keyboard backlight is on.

08-18-11 06:11 PM
    All my keys have wear on them, but they had it within 3 weeks of my getting the phone, and they're all still readable, so I have to wonder if replacing the keyboard won't just keep it clean for 3 weeks again...
    08-18-11 11:20 PM
    The question is, where do you buy REAL OEM parts? All these websites claim to sell oem parts but they are all lying... They are just cheap keyboards imported from China. Beware.
    08-19-11 12:10 AM
    I replaced the keyboard on my 9650 and it was easy. Just have to make sure you have the right tools and take your time. There are youtube vids that will walk you through it step by step. Tool kit similar to this is what I got...

Amazon.com: HeavyDuty cellphone 11 pc tool kit (includes T5, T6, iPhone 4 screw driver) for Opening BlackBerry Phones PDA MP3 Palm Treo Pocket PC Laptop iphone 4: Electronics
    08-19-11 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD