I'd like to begin by saying that I'm not encouraging anyone to get in over their head. If you don't have some soldering experience, a steady hand, and the proper equipment, please do not try this at home.

A few weeks back the end of my earphone jack snapped off rendering the jack inoperative. Searching through this forum it seemed like the general consensus was that this could not be repaired due to the high degree of miniaturization and the use of surface mount devices. I was about to give up when I found an on-line source for the earphone jacks and noticed in the photo that the jack used though-hole mounting not surface mount. I ordered up a new jack for $4.95 and figured it was worth a go. After all, what could go wrong.....

After taking the phone apart (following procedures found in this forum) I clamped the circuit board in a circuit board vice to make it easier to work with.

Here is a photo of the old jack. Notice the round silver collar on the end is broken off.

Because it is almost impossible to unsolder 6 pins at the same time, I took a small pair of side cutters and clipped each of the 6 pins as close to the old jack as possible.

Then I used a very small soldering iron and some solder wick to remove the solder and the pins from the board. Here are photos of both sides of the board after all of the solder has been removed. The board is now ready for insertion of the new jack.

I then inserted the new jack, soldered the each of the pins in place, put the phone back together, said a prayer.

And Wahoo! It works. I now have a working earphone jack. $4.95, 30 minutes, a pint of sweat, and I'm back in business.

PS: I uploaded the photos to Flickr and tried inserting them into this post and it didn't work. If anyone has need of them let me know and I'll gladly email them to you. Or, if you can tell me how the heck to get images to appear here I'll do a separate post of the photos.
    Last edited by dcscott; 08-02-09 at 12:56 PM.
    08-02-09 12:53 PM
    where are the pictures?????
    08-02-09 01:06 PM
    08-02-09 01:34 PM
    Same thing happened to my Bold, but I'm no good with a soldering iron... I found that certain aux cables with a round metal base still work. Maybe I'll have my Bold replaced, but right now it's tolerable as long as I use the right cable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 03:49 PM
    Tekdragon - thanks for getting the photo links up.
    08-02-09 04:38 PM
    This happened to me as well. As I posted elsewhere, AT&T refused to warranty it and RIM wanted $200. I sent it to PDARepairworld.com and they are working on it now. If the plastic itself can be repaired, $5; if it needs soldering $80. Still reasonable as I don't have the tools or expertise to do the repair myself.
    08-02-09 07:14 PM
    Even if you had the tools and skills, $80 would be a bargain. I probably would have gone that route had I known about it.
    08-02-09 11:05 PM
    I find mine is a bit wobbly in the device, doesn't seem solid, but works great.
    08-02-09 11:22 PM
    You've got balls man! I would never!
    08-03-09 12:10 AM
    Did you desolder it from the bottom?

How is it holding up now?

I am having the exact same issue right now
    08-17-09 03:32 PM
    First I clipped all the pins and removed the old jack. Then I heated the pads from the bottom while I pulled the pins out the top with a small pair of hemostats. Then I took solder wick to both sides to clean up the pads. Holding up just fine so far.
    08-17-09 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD