I have seen a while back on these forums that it is necessary to remove the micro SD card before performing an OS update and also disconnection from the internet.

Is this actually required and if so, why?

Thanks guys in advance.

Alan.
    01-26-11 05:21 PM
    No, it's not necessary. You may have to delete the 'vender.xml' file from C:/Program Files/Common Files/RIM/AppLoader, though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dangerousfen likes this.
    01-26-11 05:38 PM
    Nope, as mentioned above you don't need to remove your SD card or disconnect from the internet.

In fact if you are installing a leaked OS you don't even need to delete the vendor file (it's blank). If leaked loaders contained a proper vendor file then RIM and everyone else would know which carrier leaked it
    01-26-11 05:45 PM
    No, it's not necessary. You may have to delete the 'vender.xml' file from C:/Program Files/Common Files/RIM/AppLoader, though.

Thanks for your reply.

If you use BB Boss, it automatically removes the vendor file. It then will launch Apploader after you have shrunk the OS.
    01-26-11 05:48 PM
    Nope, as mentioned above you don't need to remove your SD card or disconnect from the internet.

In fact if you are installing a leaked OS you don't even need to delete the vendor file (it's blank). If leaked loaders contained a proper vendor file then RIM and everyone else would know which carrier leaked it
    That's a very good point IXA. +1 for that.
    01-26-11 05:57 PM
    I have never removed my SD card during an upgrade.

dangerousfen likes this.
    01-27-11 03:08 AM
    I updated my bold 9650 via desktop manager for MAC. Update was successful, but when it was complete, message popped up saying that media card is not formatted asking me to format.... all of my photos, music and videos are now gone.

I would recommend removing the SD card first before updating.

Does anyone know if my data is recoverable??
    03-01-11 02:39 PM
    That sounds like a DM for Mac glitch or user error. It's not necessary to remove the SD card to install or update an OS using DM for the PC, which is a much more mature product. Try reading the SD card in another device.
    03-01-11 04:22 PM
    That sounds like a DM for Mac glitch or user error. It's not necessary to remove the SD card to install or update an OS using DM for the PC, which is a much more mature product. Try reading the SD card in another device.
    tried reading card with my pc and reading it through the Bold as a card reader and still not recognizing.... asking to format... all data is lost right?
    03-03-11 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD