I recently had a problem with my screen. On the top right corner of my screen theres like a triangular area where the screen is a brighter and the area has been getting bigger. I called rogers and they said they're going to be sending me a refurbished bold. I just wanted to ask everyone here what there experiences were with refurbished devices? Is there no way they can send me a new one? Thanks.
    05-27-09 01:49 PM
    Here's a thread from wirelessgal who hasn't had good experience with refurbished devices from Rogers.

I have gotten refurbished devices in the past but from AT&T. I think it might be a carrier thing.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...i-keep-208769/
    05-27-09 01:53 PM
    Most on here that have received refurbs are just as happy with them.
    05-27-09 01:56 PM
    Here's a thread from wirelessgal who hasn't had good experience with refurbished devices from Rogers.

I have gotten refurbished devices in the past but from AT&T. I think it might be a carrier thing.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...i-keep-208769/
    I'm pretty sure all refurbs come directly from RIM. I have a hard time believing that ATT or Rogers or any other phone company is paying electronics technicians that have the experience or the capabilty to fix a phone to refurb status.

As for the refurbs... You have a better chance at getting a solid phone via refub than you do brand new. Brand new phones are lot tested, one phone out of every so many are tested. If it passes they all pass. Refurbs are all tested to make sure that the phone is in complete working order. Refurb electronics tend to be better than the new product. I say that as an electronics tech that refurbs avionic gear.
    05-27-09 02:00 PM
    Refurb are the SAME as new. Once you open the "new" box your phone is now used. Same as when you buy a car. The second the car is titled it's used.
    05-27-09 02:03 PM
    It's one of those things you just have to take a risk on. Personally I've had terrible luck with refurbs. While others have no complaints.
    05-27-09 02:36 PM
    It's one of those things you just have to take a risk on. Personally I've had terrible luck with refurbs. While others have no complaints.

I guess we both have bad luck when it comes to refurbs eh?
    05-27-09 02:51 PM
    my wife has a refurb and it works great better than my new Bold.
    05-27-09 02:51 PM
    i'm on a refurb and it seems to run better than the original
    05-27-09 02:52 PM
    I have a refurb Rogers Bold and the damn thing is about 50x better then my original Bold
    05-27-09 02:57 PM
    its cause they get extra TLC

05-27-09 03:00 PM
    I guess we both have bad luck when it comes to refurbs eh?
    Yup I blame evol Off topic- we miss you over there
    05-27-09 03:03 PM
    I have a Refurb and no issues here. None at all.
    05-27-09 03:11 PM
    Yup I blame evol Off topic- we miss you over there

Yes Evol is to blame. Aww, really? I'll stop by one night and stir up some trouble.
    05-27-09 04:09 PM
    I'm pretty sure all refurbs come directly from RIM. I have a hard time believing that ATT or Rogers or any other phone company is paying electronics technicians that have the experience or the capabilty to fix a phone to refurb status.

As for the refurbs... You have a better chance at getting a solid phone via refub than you do brand new. Brand new phones are lot tested, one phone out of every so many are tested. If it passes they all pass. Refurbs are all tested to make sure that the phone is in complete working order. Refurb electronics tend to be better than the new product. I say that as an electronics tech that refurbs avionic gear.

coastietech - I hope you are right as I'll be receiving Bold number 3 today and it's a refurb (AT&T). I can't say if it's directly from RIM or not but it shipped to me here in AZ from Ft. Worth, TX. One day overnight shipping which is a plus and I can say that AT&T was very helpful in getting me taken care of. I mean why get mad at AT&T, they don't make the phones.

Bold number 1 was buggy, rebooted constantly, and the wi-fi never worked right. It finally bit the dust while I was trying to update the OS. As I was under 30 days it went back to AT&T for exchange.

Bold number 2 was a super stable and reliable unit with no problems and screamed on wi-fi. Then one day I noticed the speaker volume was starting to sound lower ........... and lower......... and lower......... a quick trip here and a search showed me the speaker problems users were having with their Bold's. I tried all the suggestions here on the forum to coax the speakers back to life short of taking the thing apart to fix the speaker contacts, and I'm not sure if that would do it. Plus, I feel I shouldn't have to do that on a BB that RIM touts as one of theor premier phones. All this week the speaker has been dead and gone and I'm missing calls which is totally unacceptable even for a 30 dollar phone let alone a top of the line BB. This phone is at about 50 days now so I have to do a warranty exchange for a refurb.

I'm hoping for the best on the refurb. As they say "third ones a charm". If not I can say one thing for sure. There won't be a Bold number 4. Three strikes and you're out!

I'll go back to my beat up old Pearl which never had this many problems till I decide which if any BB I get next.
    05-27-09 04:23 PM
    I don't know about Rogers, but ATT will swap your refurb within a certian time frame if you don't like it or would rather buy a new one.
    05-27-09 05:08 PM
    i had a curve with verizon, swiched to at&t, i got a refurbed bold, it works fine
    05-27-09 06:50 PM
    i had problems with my new Bold so I got a refurb from ATT and personally it seems better than the new one, less creaks and what not.

Theyre honeslty fine, couldnt tell the difference when I got it, it was basically brand new looking.
    05-27-09 07:05 PM
    You'd never have known if they didn't tell you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 09:04 PM
    The Bold I bought was a refurb. Came with everything but the memory stick. Looks brand new, feels brand new, acts brand new. Going on 3-4 months now without any problems.
    05-27-09 09:10 PM
    I'm hoping for the best on the refurb. As they say "third ones a charm". If not I can say one thing for sure. There won't be a Bold number 4. Three strikes and you're out!

I'll go back to my beat up old Pearl which never had this many problems till I decide which if any BB I get next.
    Heh Heh quoting myself LOL

Just got the refurb this afternoon, and as others have stated, I can't tell it from a new one. Not a scratch or mark anywhere.

Did a backup on my bad unit, pulled the sim, memory, battery, and tossed it in the new phone. It booted up and was registered on the network already and has the latest At&T software version on it. Hooked it up to DM and ignored the update about the language support extras and loaded my back up. Went to BIS and up dated my PIN. Did a battery pull and everything seemed OK.

This one seems stable so far and hooks up to my network here at home and to the local SB AT&T via wi-fi with no problems. Speaker is nice and loud. Hooray, I can hear my ringer again.

I hope this one hangs in there as I love the Bold when it works.
    05-28-09 12:25 AM
    oh!!!
    I think next time we have to check more carefully. but it is maybe lucky or not
    07-29-09 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD