Hi, this is my first post, so I might do something wrong...

Anyways, I had a Bold for 7 months and loved it, but the mute/standby button on top was not working so I decided to call Rogers and arrange for a replacement.

The replacement came today and the device was perfectly clean and scratch free, however I noticed some differences between the two units, some of which bugged me.

1) The trackball in the refurbished model is white. My original Bold had a black trackball. What is this about?

2) The keyboard backlight on my original Bold was very, very, bright and white. The refurbished backlight is much dimmer and is more off-white. Why is this? Did RIM make these changes or is Rogers giving me a bad device?

EDIT

So, there have been some misunderstandings with what I wrote. The trackball was originally black when not lit up, and the refurbished model has a white trackball when not lit up.

The keyboard on my old phone (when backlit) is very bright, and perfectly white in color. The refurbished model (when backlit at 100 percent brightness) is not even close to white. The color is off-white and looks really ugly or dirty. I think this has to do with the LED light inside.

So to make it clear, the two things I would like to know are:

1) When you received you NEW 9000's, what colour was the trackball?

2) When your keyboards are lit up at max brightness, are they bright white, or an off white weird color?

Thanks for your help everyone! You have been great so far!

3) The other thing I noticed which is good is that inside behind the battery cover there is now a diagram displaying how to properly remove the SIM card, which is helpful because there is only one way to remove it without force.

I hope you guys can help me with my concerns!
    Last edited by tyguyone; 06-24-09 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added information
    06-23-09 11:30 PM
    My refurb Bold sounds like your refurb...off-white trackball and backlight. Have you adjusted the length of time the backlight stays on? May help it stay bright longer. I also have the SIM diagram.
    06-23-09 11:43 PM
    I swear you could change the brightness in the options menu...
    06-23-09 11:45 PM
    Setup < Options < Screen/Keyboard (In the second "block" of options.)

(This, obviously is for your Backlight brightness, I'm unaware of an options to change your trackball/keyboard brightness, I believe this is automatically controlled via the light sensor somewhere on the front of the device, somewhere near the screen.)
    Last edited by xDAKx; 06-23-09 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added detail
    06-23-09 11:51 PM
    My original Bold had a black trackball.
    all the Bolds came with a white trackball. how did your's come black? are you sure you didn't change it yourself?
    06-24-09 01:31 AM
    i am thinking now.... black trackball
    06-24-09 05:09 AM
    So, there have been some misunderstandings with what I wrote. The trackball was originally black when not lit up, and the refurbished model has a white trackball when not lit up.

The keyboard on my old phone (when backlit) is very bright, and perfectly white in color. The refurbished model (when backlit at 100 percent brightness) is not even close to white. The color is off-white and looks really ugly or dirty. I think this has to do with the LED light inside.

So to make it clear, the two things I would like to know are:

1) When you received you NEW 9000's, what colour was the trackball?

2) When your keyboards are lit up at max brightness, are they bright white, or an off white weird color?

Thanks for your help everyone! You have been great so far!
    06-24-09 11:48 AM
    all the Bolds came with a white trackball. how did your's come black? are you sure you didn't change it yourself?
    It came with a black trackball!
    That was a new model so how could it be wrong?
    06-24-09 12:04 PM
    Unless they're doing things differently in Canada, NO Bold's came with black trackballs. NONE. It's one of the first things we change. Regarding the keyboard, my original one with the white numeral keys was very bright, the one I installed with the red numeral keys is not as bright so that tells me it is the keypad itself and not the phone. One allows more light through than the other.
    06-24-09 12:24 PM
    Your old track ball was filthy. I noticed it with my refurb too. The new, clean track ball was bright white when the backlight was off, and the old one was dark when turned off, and not nearly as bright when the backlight was on.

As for the backlight, my keyboard is brighter now on the refurb due to the fact that it's cleaner.

I did notice my LCD color temp is much cooler and more blue on the refurb than my original which was much more warm. That would be due to a different screen manufacturer though as there are 3 different ones they use.
    06-24-09 08:57 PM
    It came with a black trackball!
    That was a new model so how could it be wrong?
    Unless they're doing things differently in Canada, NO Bold's came with black trackballs. NONE. It's one of the first things we change. Regarding the keyboard, my original one with the white numeral keys was very bright, the one I installed with the red numeral keys is not as bright so that tells me it is the keypad itself and not the phone. One allows more light through than the other.
    What LordRasta said. NO bolds ever came with a black trackball. ALL bolds came with white trackballs
    06-24-09 11:20 PM
    the same thing happened to me. I noticed that this one is made in Mexico and the one I had before was made in Canada. Is there anyway to request one that's made in Canada?
    07-01-09 06:46 PM
    What LordRasta said. NO bolds ever came with a black trackball. ALL bolds came with white trackballs
    I believe the first GSM BB to come with a Black trackball, was the 8900 Curve.
    07-01-09 06:58 PM
    Canadian Bold here - white trackball, of course.

The differences in backlight brightness and tone (blueish vs yellowish) has been noted for a long time. Different Bolds have different qualities of backlight. I have one of the bright, blueish ones. Both work fine, but they do look different.
    07-01-09 08:58 PM
    My trackball was originally white but now its turning blackish in colour...its prob cuz of dirt...maybe urs is the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 10:02 PM
    RIM never sold a Bold with a black trackball

07-01-09 10:12 PM
    RIM never sold a Bold with a black trackball

I believe the first GSM BB to come with a Black trackball, was the 8900 Curve.
    Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

My Bold came with a black trackball. I did a HUP on the first possible day with Rogers (over the phone), and my bold has a black trackball. So I'm pretty sure the first shipment in the Rogers warehouse had black trackballs.

Gimme a sec and I'll take a picture to prove it..
    Okay, uploaded! Here:
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Last edited by Xcist; 07-01-09 at 10:56 PM.
    07-01-09 10:19 PM
    I think it's ok, i remember that trackball of blackberry is white not black. maybe it become black when you used it for a long time. Don't worry i think it's best for you
    07-29-09 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD