I just bought a BB Bold and I'm a total noob in BB. I first didn't even know what BIS or BES was since my company is supporting BB to begin with.

But I wanted a 3GS and then deceived by the features, I bought a BB on ebay not too expensive and brand new. I'm very happy with the machine but one thing that perpetually troubles me is the red asterix which doesn't appear on my mailbox icon. I can battery reboot or send a new service book to fix the problem temporarily but few hours later and may be one sync done, the fonctionnality wouldn't work anymore.

I know I haven't paid much for the phone but I paid enough to call it "an expensive piece of device". And while I praise its ergonomy and its features, I believe these tiny bugs are really pulling down its comparable value compared to iPhone.

If you have a solution that will definitely fix this problem, I'm more than willing to listen and rectify my statement.
    06-22-09 05:25 PM
    You probably have your SMS/MMS and email inboxes separate. The red asterisk is showing up, just not on your "Messages" icon - it's showing up on your "SMS/MMS" icon.
    06-22-09 06:06 PM
    Hey there and welcome to the world of BB!
    Just so I understand the issue, is the problem the asterisk does not appear to indicate you have mail that's the problem? The only thing I can think of is you received the mail initially but may have already read it via a computer. Also I assume you are using a default theme that came with the phone.
    06-22-09 06:08 PM
    You probably have your SMS/MMS and email inboxes separate. The red asterisk is showing up, just not on your "Messages" icon - it's showing up on your "SMS/MMS" icon.

Or what he said!!! =P Never occurred to me that =)
    06-22-09 06:10 PM
    You can check your setting by going to messages>menu>options>general options>display new message indicator: YES is what it should say. I have seen instances where the theme that's being used can cause this issue as well. Let us know the update...
    06-22-09 09:25 PM
    Thank you very much for your replies. I have my inbox combined for email and SMS. Also, I did set up my mail options to see the notifications.

The problem is that it shows up when it wants to and now when I get new mails.

I actually discovered another thing. When the inbox is seen on the main screen (I don't know how you call it), the asterix isn't there. When you go into home screen, then you see it.

Weird, huh? And reading your reaction, do I have to assume that it is an exceptional problem that can be repaired?
    06-23-09 01:46 AM
    this isn't really a common problem. I would suggest for you to try upgrading your Operating System to the latest one (for the bold the latest official OS is 4.6.0.282. Just make sure you read the instructions to properly upgrade the OS
    06-23-09 06:06 AM
    Thank you very much for your replies. I have my inbox combined for email and SMS. Also, I did set up my mail options to see the notifications.

The problem is that it shows up when it wants to and now when I get new mails.

I actually discovered another thing. When the inbox is seen on the main screen (I don't know how you call it), the asterix isn't there. When you go into home screen, then you see it.

Weird, huh? And reading your reaction, do I have to assume that it is an exceptional problem that can be repaired?
    The icons on the desktop do not update like they do on the Home screen. Also, if you open the inbox, the asterisk will go away even if there are unread messages.
    06-23-09 06:14 AM
    Could this be a theme problem? Try using a diff theme on your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 12:21 PM
    Sorry for not being able to answer. To make things short, I gave a go for a hard reset... meaning more than an hour of hard work backing up everything, every photo, saving 3rd party softwares etc. (not the battery pull technique) And voila! The red asterix is back and flashing again when I get new messages.

Thank you all for your help and since last week when I was very troubled with this tiny issue (yes, I'm a maniac), I am a fulfilled Bold user from now on.

ps... actually, I'll be a truly fulfilled BB user when RIM bring out DM for Mac.
    06-23-09 04:51 PM
    Sorry for not being able to answer. To make things short, I gave a go for a hard reset... meaning more than an hour of hard work backing up everything, every photo, saving 3rd party softwares etc. (not the battery pull technique) And voila! The red asterix is back and flashing again when I get new messages.

Thank you all for your help and since last week when I was very troubled with this tiny issue (yes, I'm a maniac), I am a fulfilled Bold user from now on.

ps... actually, I'll be a truly fulfilled BB user when RIM bring out DM for Mac.
    You're not the only one who had a bold and mac
    06-23-09 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD