Everybody seems to think that the BB Bold and 3g iphone cant be released on the same day or close together because one would effect the others sales. I dont think it would be a big problem for ATT. As far as they are concerned, they would give the 2 devices away, they make their money via the plans anyway. They charge the high prices for hardware because they can. More importantly, i feel that people who want to buy the iphone are going to buy the iphone and people who are going to buy the blackberry will buy the blackberry. I see very few who are on the fence between these two particular devices. We have dueling fanboys but lets face it, the iphone has its market and the bb has its market, and although they are overlapping more than ever, the majority of the population have their minds made up.

Thoughts?
    06-17-08 11:44 PM
    I'll bet you can install more apps on the iPhone then you can on the 128MB of memory the Bold will have. Any takers?
    06-17-08 11:49 PM
    I agree, I think that the Bold should release sooner though, for RIM sake, because those that are on the fence may go with the phone packed with things that the iphone 3g does not. But as ATT is concerned, they get money either way and releasing them both at the same time, I think, causes more excitement with the competition, and influence some people to get one of the phones even if they weren't going to upgrade, just since there is so much buzz created. I was on the fence at the beginning, but I did some research and saw the iphone wasn't for me. Doing research on the two phones led me to finding out even more phones that were good, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Bold. Releasing them at the same time, I feel would bring more buzz than just releasing one, and if they were to hold off with the Bold...they would just be pissing people off.
    06-17-08 11:56 PM
    The bold has 1gb of on board storage and is expandable to 16gb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-08 11:58 PM
    I am no business person but I would think that RIM would decide when they want their product in the stores? I would think that RIM would tell AT&T or whoever that if you want to sell our devices then they will be on the shelf by such and such date.

I suppose that AT&T could say hey, we ponied up a lot of money to you so we could sell your phone. We have a ton of people coming in to specifically buy the iPhone on July 11. Therefore, we are going to sell those phones at that time.

However, I personally think it would be good for AT&T to have both phones at their stores by July 11. This would give their customers a choice and be less of a headache for them down the road. Unless......people signed a two year agreement for the iPhone and one to two months later (after the 30 days) they introduce the Bold. People might come in and discover they like the Bold better than the iPhone 2. Therefore, they would have to pony up $300 to $400 dollars or more to buy the Bold. This way AT&T would make their money on both sides of the deal. Selling the phone at retail and making their money on the data and calling plans.

Oh well, this is what is running through my head. Many of you are business folks and have a lot better of an idea how this stuff works than I do.
    06-18-08 12:02 AM
    You have 8 or 16GB of space on an iPhone and thats it. You start bloating it up with games, others apps, lots of movies and music and you can't delete anything without your iTunes connected. I can delete an app on the fly, and d/l another app on the fly and go from there.
    06-18-08 12:23 PM
    Everybody seems to think that the BB Bold and 3g iphone cant be released on the same day or close together because one would effect the others sales. I dont think it would be a big problem for ATT. As far as they are concerned, they would give the 2 devices away, they make their money via the plans anyway. They charge the high prices for hardware because they can. More importantly, i feel that people who want to buy the iphone are going to buy the iphone and people who are going to buy the blackberry will buy the blackberry. I see very few who are on the fence between these two particular devices. We have dueling fanboys but lets face it, the iphone has its market and the bb has its market, and although they are overlapping more than ever, the majority of the population have their minds made up.

Thoughts?
    I respectfully disagree. It's just bad business to make you're(AT&T) clients (Apple and RIM) compete it out like that. It will produce a lot of bad feelings. Apple especially is very sensitive to this sort of thing. To the people who think that these two devices are not competing? Again i disagree. The Bold's upgraded multimedia, user interface and possible improved web browsing as well as the iphone's new enterprise features tell me that is exactly what they are doing. Apple has openly compared itself to blackberry in their very public keynote presentations. The fanboys here are pretty set but enthusiasts only comprise a small portion of the possible consumer base. Most people are gonna make up their mind when the products are released. Still if it did happen it would be high drama.
    06-18-08 12:37 PM

Thoughts?
    I have to disagree also. Have you seen the number of articles already out comparing the two devices? Also, Apple is outright trying to gain more of RIM's smartphone market share. That right there shows they are in direct competition. There are many people who don't post here or on any boards who don't know which device to get, many of whom don't have smartphones at the moment.

Smartphones are a major business industry right now, don't think for a second Apple, RIM, and ATT don't know that. It's like having one store selling both Coke and Pepsi. You don't think that store gets pressure from both companies to sell their product more?

It's all about money.
    06-18-08 01:06 PM
    I'll bet you can install more apps on the iPhone then you can on the 128MB of memory the Bold will have. Any takers?
    http://images.crackberry.com/files/k...Phone3Gbig.png

one looks more appealing than the other..among other things
    06-18-08 01:09 PM
    I'll bet you can type on the keyboard faster, record video, and send MMS text on the Bold better than the iPhone. Any takers?
    06-18-08 02:27 PM
    Ill admit that the two devices are comparable but i dont think the consumers are on the fence, i think people are just exhibiting brand loyalty. People are not trying to choose, they are just trying to prove their device is better.w
    06-18-08 02:40 PM
    You have 8 or 16GB of space on an iPhone and thats it. You start bloating it up with games, others apps, lots of movies and music and you can't delete anything without your iTunes connected. I can delete an app on the fly, and d/l another app on the fly and go from there.
    You can delete on the fly.

For example:

Bobby wants to get rid of that horrid music video by N.E.R.D. that accidently Downloaded when he synced up his iPhone to his MacBookPro.

He's not near his mac so he finds the Music Video in question, slides his finger horizontally across the selection, and magically a red delete button appears. He hits the button and its gone from his iPhone.

This can work for practically anything as of now.

Cookies, Cache, uploaded Photos, Music Videos etc..

Yes, the Bold can have up to 16gb of Memory things swiped in an out, and the iPhone is limited to strictly 16gb regardless.

But remember-

16gb is still a ton of crap to have on your phone, it's nothing to scoff at.

I don't doubt that Apple doesn't have a 32gb iPhone down the horizon.

(Having 32gb sounds like a ridiculous amount of space btw)

::Thinks back to when they randomly released a 16gb upgrade::

Remember- they want an iPhone to eventually completely replace the iPod.

Making it moot to have an iPod **and** and iPhone.

Will it happen one day?

More than Likely.
    06-18-08 03:00 PM
    The iPhone looks like a bar of fancy soap from the back.
    06-18-08 03:05 PM
    A bar of smelly fancy pants french soap? A la eau d' toilete?

LOL
    06-18-08 03:18 PM
    The iPhone looks like a bar of fancy soap from the back.
    I Love BB without a doubt, but personally, I think the Bold looks like crap, and cheap. I cant understand why RIM didn't design a better looking device than that.
    06-18-08 03:26 PM
    I Love BB without a doubt, but personally, I think the Bold looks like crap, and cheap. I cant understand why RIM didn't design a better looking device than that.
    lol, Yea I don't particularly like the form factor of the Bold, I like the color scheme though. I prefer the form factor of the 8330. That thing is pretty.
    06-18-08 03:29 PM
    Well, I think Apple knows that BB Bold will be released along with the iphone 3g. Since it's such large competition, that is a good reason to cut the price(upfront) to be more competition with the Bold. If the Bold wasn't coming out, I think Apple would have more leeway to make the price higher because some people would be willing to pay it. If they are released at the same time, it doesn't matter which phone they buy from ATT, all ATT probably cares about is that they are selling these phones with their high *** plans.
    06-18-08 03:39 PM
    lol, Yea I don't particularly like the form factor of the Bold, I like the color scheme though. I prefer the form factor of the 8330. That thing is pretty.
    I'm kind of with you on that...but it is kind of sexy too..LOL..It's growing on me i should say
    06-18-08 03:43 PM
    An Inventory rep for ATT just tld me that they don't expect the BOLD until November!
    06-18-08 06:57 PM
    An Inventory rep for ATT just tld me that they don't expect the BOLD until November!
    8320 here I come!
    06-18-08 06:58 PM
    Right!!! I'm tired of waiting myself....
    06-18-08 07:02 PM
    I have to disagree also. Have you seen the number of articles already out comparing the two devices? Also, Apple is outright trying to gain more of RIM's smartphone market share. That right there shows they are in direct competition. There are many people who don't post here or on any boards who don't know which device to get, many of whom don't have smartphones at the moment.

Smartphones are a major business industry right now, don't think for a second Apple, RIM, and ATT don't know that. It's like having one store selling both Coke and Pepsi. You don't think that store gets pressure from both companies to sell their product more?

It's all about money.
    Lots of stores sell both Coke and Pepsi, they just leave it up to the consumer to decide which product to purchase. AT&T should do the same. At least I hope because that would mean a Bold realease on July 11th. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    06-20-08 01:05 PM
    Try 1 Gig of memory! Still not as much as the iPhone but it's expandable!
    He was correct, there is only 128MB of memory available for installing APPS. The rest is for media and such.
    06-20-08 01:06 PM
    He was correct, there is only 128MB of memory available for installing APPS. The rest is for media and such.
    OMG your kidding me! I didn't know! Sorry about the confusion!
    06-20-08 01:08 PM
    Try 1 Gig of memory! Still not as much as the iPhone but it's expandable!

CAREFUL bro CAREFUL..know what you're saying before you say it... He's correct....
    06-20-08 01:09 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD