I've been watching video's lately on how to take apart & replace parts like track ball & bezel and definitely would like to try.
    Especially because I would die for a black track ball so I wouldn't have to look @ the yellowish brown one I have now..
    And to conclude the experience I'd like to black out my 9000 -

This question is primarily someone who's actually taken apart the entire device,
    What's the realistic risk factor, I mean, I have insurance but I still don't want anything to happen it means more to me cause I literally spent 560$ for my Bold.
    (& if your wondering why I had to spend that much - I have an ANR employee plan & I only get no commitment cost)
    Thanks for your input..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 08:50 PM
    If you have insurance through your wireless carrier, opening the phone up will void your insurance through your wireless carrier and warranty through RIM.

06-04-09 08:56 PM
    My insurance is not thru at&t lockline, no restrictions to what can happen to it thankfully.
    But I still don't want to mess this one up lol..

06-04-09 09:02 PM
    Though people have successfully modded their phones others have had screws snap/break on them and such. I too would like to mod my phone but feel that I might need the warranty if anything were to happen.

06-04-09 09:05 PM
    Oh wow, screws have snapped off? Haven't heard that yet.
    You have to think if one would snap off would it be the person to aggressive & not taking there time w/ being precise,
    Or maybe one isolated screw was defective/weak & just crumbled - that's to much to take in

06-04-09 09:10 PM
    I paid for the 3 year Costco warranty on my phone and I entend to keep it that long. I've looked into blacking out my Bold but is it worth it at the end of the day when your motherboard is fried?

I'm sticking to interchangeable battery covers anf cases for now.

06-04-09 09:30 PM
    I have had my bold apart a few times, without any issues. Was extremely leary at first having spent 583.00 on my bold. But, I'm glad I took the risk. Just be careful and take your time

06-04-09 09:32 PM
    Oh wow, screws have snapped off? Haven't heard that yet.
    You have to think if one would snap off would it be the person to aggressive & not taking there time w/ being precise,
    Or maybe one isolated screw was defective/weak & just crumbled - that's to much to take in

Not really. Some say the screws have Locktite type adhesive holding them in, which normally is not an issue. Sometimes it does cause a screw to overtork.
    06-04-09 09:36 PM
    It will void your warranty, not void your insurance.
    06-04-09 10:14 PM
    Yes... be careful with the screws.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/broke-screw-239455

But all in all, i do not regret one bit taking my bold apart.
    06-04-09 10:23 PM
    I definitely don't regret it. I have insurance so if something happens, I keep a backup once a week and I'll smash it up real good and use my insurance to send me another one, lol.

Chris
    06-04-09 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD