We're all in our late 30's, early 40's... not kids. Between us, there are some working for major corporations, some small business owners, some a little of both.
    You won't find any childish A Holes in their 30's or 40's working for big corporations or owning small business's.

OMG WTF,,...??????? LMFAO
    07-20-11 05:06 PM
    The real blackberrykiller is father time
    07-20-11 06:16 PM
    You won't find any childish A Holes in their 30's or 40's working for big corporations or owning small business's.

OMG WTF,,...??????? LMFAO
    Nonsense. There are plenty.
    07-20-11 07:02 PM
    The real blackberrykiller is father time
    I agree...had RIM made the Bold 9900/9930 available end of May to still have a little of the BBW buzz around it, and good positive reviews from cnet, engaget, etc, Then we'd already be happy with our new Bolds', but this delay after delay is further hurting RIM. With the new Evo 3D already out, Galaxy S2 out shortly, and possible iphone 5 on ALL US major carriers...yeah RIM ignorance and father time's penelty may hurt the Bold 9900 series more than we can say.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 01:49 PM
    The real blackberry killer was time...and Apple. As I have said before the timing of this phone shouldn't be a few weeks ahead of iPhone 5, this should have been released a year or more ago. This should have been the device that took sales pre-iPhone4. However, now that Apple is going to integrate cloud storage natively with iWork and bring iOS5, they are stepping even further away from RIM.

RIM gave me many moments back with my family and friends for which I am very grateful (emailing clients from a beach), but they failed over the last couple of years to respond to the changing times.

After reading every single one of the posts on these 7 pages, and many other posts through this forum, it looks as though RIM will likely lose even more diehard fans, including me, to the next iPhone.

As one person said, the iPhone 4 made their 9780 feel like they were carrying around an old Nokia phone.

I actually had the iPhone 4 and returned it for various reasons (biggest was the messaging notification option and lack of iWork). With iOS5 the various reasons will be gone. I have been with Apple since the 80's, so I will likely just go with a new iPhone device. In any case, I don't fault people for staying with RIM, as I have been there too. RIM does make a good product and at the end of the day, the more competition the better. Apple is forcing RIM to innovate. Without Apple, we would all be sitting here talking on a 7230 with a colorless screen. Someday RIM might be the best thing in town, but one thing is for sure, Apple is not likely to be the one dominating in a few years, just judging how fast technology changes.
    07-22-11 12:40 AM
    After reading every single one of the posts on these 7 pages, and many other posts through this forum, it looks as though RIM will likely lose even more diehard fans, including me, to the next iPhone.
    You are going to switch to a phone you have no knowledge of? No one even knows what it will look like. They speculate what it's going to have. I'm amazed people are going to flock to it. I'm also amazed when people get mad for calling people blind followers of Apple. Have fun with your iPhone 4S

07-22-11 02:16 AM
    You are going to switch to a phone you have no knowledge of? No one even knows what it will look like. They speculate what it's going to have. I'm amazed people are going to flock to it. I'm also amazed when people get mad for calling people blind followers of Apple. Have fun with your iPhone 4S

Yes I will likely switch to ip5. Do you think apple is going to release a really thick phone with worse battery life that is slower with a poor camera? If apple really does botch it and releases a huge flop then ip4 will be cheaper and something i am considering. So many people are looking forward to it because the ip4 is awesome as it is, they just want the newest technology if they are going to upgrade and I can easily wait. Even if it is iPhone "4gs" I am considering it. Ios5 looks nice and I will finally be able to have one device for everything.

I really wish the 9900 had some other features like hdmi out and ability to hook up Bluetooth keyboard (full size). Maybe qnx phones will be great and I will return but now Apple looks like the winner for my needs.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 07-22-11 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Typo
    Exiled Bulldawg likes this.
    07-22-11 06:28 AM
    ^ amen

07-22-11 07:54 AM
    That is what's great about the traditional BB (no idea why someone would buy a storm). As for the rest of the stuff the iPhone offers, I have an iPad for that.
    In effect, you are like most of us: we have a Blackberry we love for messaging and another device for everything else. I carried a Palm for years. Then an iTouch. My company issued an Android phone, so the iTouch is gone, but I only use my Blackberry for personal mail and texts now. Just what it was designed to do well. I use the Droid for everything else.

And I am finding I reach for my handy 'Berry less and less. Luckily, the company is going to allow us to trade BES accounts. I hope to convert my BIS 9650 (no sense in buying another Berry, so far there is nothing really new in OS "7") to BES and get an iPhone for personal. RIM won't be my personal phone and I won't have to suffer with the crappy browser and apps.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 07-22-11 at 09:08 AM.
    07-22-11 08:34 AM
    In effect, you are like most of us: we have a Blackberry we love for messaging and another device for everything else. I carried a Palm for years. Then an iTouch. My company issued an Android phone, so the iTouch is gone, but I only use my Blackberry for personal mail and texts now. Just what it was designed to do well. I use the Droid for everything else.

And I am finding I reach for my handy 'Berry less and less. Luckily, the company is going to allow us to trade BES accounts. I hope to convert my BIS 9650 (no sense in buying another Berry, so far there is nothing really new in OS "7") to BES and get an iPhone for personal. RIM won't be my personal phone and I won't have to suffer with the crappy browser and apps.
    I actually carry two Blackberries in addition to the iPad, a personal BIS 9700 (running 5.0) and a corporate BES 9780.
    07-22-11 11:16 AM
    I actually carry two Blackberries in addition to the iPad, a personal BIS 9700 (running 5.0) and a corporate BES 9780.
    I bet you are using the iPad in a similar manner as I use my Android phone (and previous devies) to make up for the browser on the berry.

I guess I am just as bad, cause I haul around a netbook I tether from time to time....
    07-22-11 10:52 PM
    Yes I will likely switch to ip5. Do you think apple is going to release a really thick phone with worse battery life that is slower with a poor camera? If apple really does botch it and releases a huge flop then ip4 will be cheaper and something i am considering. So many people are looking forward to it because the ip4 is awesome as it is, they just want the newest technology if they are going to upgrade and I can easily wait. Even if it is iPhone "4gs" I am considering it. Ios5 looks nice and I will finally be able to have one device for everything.

I really wish the 9900 had some other features like hdmi out and ability to hook up Bluetooth keyboard (full size). Maybe qnx phones will be great and I will return but now Apple looks like the winner for my needs.
    They won't botch it. It will be an upgraded phone just like the rest of their products. Not an extreme change. It will be slightly faster. Maybe look different and maybe a bit lighter. I'm thinking the only change on the camera will that its 8mp, which doesn't mean much but since people don't pay attention they'll take the bait.

I'm all for people choosing whatever they want. But I would never make a decision on something I have never seen, even though I know what to expect.

07-23-11 02:19 AM
    The new Blackberries will do well among the loyalists, but they probably won't get many folks to switch platforms....
    I agree with this part of your post. I think the 99xx is going to rock, and it's going to make anyone who's ever loved BB wet their pants with glee. I'm keeping a careful eye on it and what US Cellular is going to do with it.

That said, I agree that OS7 probably won't cause mass departures. QNX might, next year.

Here's the thing: there will never be an iphone killer; there will never be an android killer. There are just too many loyalists in all camps. Not every phone is perfect for everyone; that's why we have consumer choice.

The part of the OP that I agree with, is that the only BB killer is RIM itself. If they royally screw this up, it's going to hurt them. I have a feeling there are lots of former BB users like myself currently using other devices, just hoping and praying for RIM to knock one out of the park and give us something we can come back to. I don't necessarily know that the 99xx is going to be that home run for all BB users, but for me it just might be. Then who knows what kind of goodness we'll see with QNX.

So this post was really disjointed, hope it makes sense.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-23-11 09:31 AM
    I'm rifling through the threads on Android phones as I seek something flashy and new. Good gosh, they are talking about lagginess (on NEW phones), spontaneous reboots, and going through incredible contortions to get a full day of battery life. One guys says he turns off his 3G connection unless he needs it!

Then there are all of the other, less important problems specific to common apps.

Movies and Angry Birds just don't make it worth it to me for those hassles. I mean, I'd have to give up BB's keyboard, but I'm tired of loving that keyboard and am willing to throw it away if everything else is kosher... but it ain't.

I'm truly wanting to jump into the android world.
    It's not like I'm seeking goofy apps, but I do notice the quickness with which banks, brokerages, and other USEFUL businesses create android or iphone apps. That is a major benefit.

In some cases, the business may create a blackberry app, but it lacks some very important features available to their version of the iPhone or Android. For example, the ability to deposit a check just by taking a photo.

Watching people work with their iPhones and Androids is usually painful... it all seems so slow and fiddly. I've got to have SOME kind of physical keyboard even if it is clunky and cheapish, so the iPhone isn't on the the list of possibilities.

The droid Pro looked like a major enticement, but no cigar.
    07-23-11 10:57 AM
    folks i don't think that you can compare 9900 to iphone4/5 or any touchscreen androids. you can compare it to droid pro or nokia e6, maybe. same form factor, 2.46" screen, qwerty keyboard. of which there are no real competition. 9900 wins hands down.

but the market leader, as technology is concerned, right now nothing else beats samsung galaxy s2. it sells well, somehow, buggy or not, slow and fiddly or not. rim got to compete with this product, or the likes of it, with similar specs as the market leader.
    no way a bold blackberry will be a superphones. maybe few years ago, but world go round, perception changes.

as for the form factor, physical keyboard is good - but small screen is not good. you can have 2GHZ processor but what you can read off 2.5" screen? unless you do it for messaging only - bbm, facebook, whatever. good for teens because they still got good eyes. older person need bigger screen because its eyesight is not good as it was. its a fact of life. some may not notice the need of bigger screen and keep up with it.
    torch 9800 try to be the best of both world - qwerty and bigger screen - but apparently its not that popular. i have one too.
    Last edited by sportline; 07-23-11 at 05:33 PM.
    07-23-11 05:28 PM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD