For the people who have use a touch screen. Do you stop what your doing and hold the phone with both hands when you type? Part of the time? Is using the phone a one handed deal?

Is the extra screen size worth not having a physical keyboard?
    07-08-11 01:42 AM
    no in my view, in fact it can be irritating to have a virtual keyboard getting in the way of reading details, the only part that is scrollable is the non keyboard area which is likely to be equal to the 9900, it's also easy to add a letter or number to a detail without knowing (by inaccurate scrolling), am waiting patiently for my new torch which will have a larger useable active touch screen area than some other "popular" phones.
    07-08-11 02:57 AM
    Please stop doing this.

Knowing how not-smart this activity is, makes me question your credibility. And you make very valid points and bring up a great perspective of the pros and cons of each platform. But then I think of the above, and disregard everything you've said.

As far as the IP5 and BB9930, just like everything in the tech world, there will be a top placeholder, and several successful contendors below. To believe that one phone will be the killer of all phones is closed-minded. Like Watcher said, there are good and bad of each. It's just like comparing carriers. There can only be one "biggest" carrier, but people don't always want the biggest; some want something different, that better suits their needs.

Just because something isn't #1, doesn't mean people won't want it.

Blackberry won't die, it'll just change.
    Its not illegal in my country to text and drive;-) and i got a mental keyboard of my bb so i really dont need to look at that much, unlike my iphone which i dont even bother using while driving..

Another good thing about the iphone is internet tethering is built into iOS4.x so when i need to be online on my laptop i can just share the 3g connection from it, it doesnt require a special app like bb or a cable and bbdm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-08-11 03:06 AM
    Its not illegal in my country to text and drive;-) and i got a mental keyboard of my bb so i really dont need to look at that much, unlike my iphone which i dont even bother using while driving..

Another good thing about the iphone is internet tethering is built into iOS4.x so when i need to be online on my laptop i can just share the 3g connection from it, it doesnt require a special app like bb or a cable and bbdm

I work in the therapuetic world, sometimes with folk who have been in car accidents many of whom have been victims of texters, phone users. It doesn't matter if it's legal or not you are just as dead all be it not illegally dead. Hands are for steering not texting. Be safe.
    austriker and vrs626 like this.
    07-08-11 04:56 AM
    I was just curious since I have not had a touch screen phone. I don't give a rats *** about the bb vs ip contest. I will probably end up with the 9900 or Storm 3 and my wife will get the new iPhone.

I just wanted to know if the larger screen on the storm/touch would be nice since I surf a lot. I also blog so typing is a priority as well.

Like someone else mentioned I like BB because the interface can be customized a gillion different ways.

As for texting and driving, if it floats your boat then rock on. I rather have a right to do something I don't like than having pod people from he11 deciding when I can fart.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 07-08-11 at 05:05 AM.
    07-08-11 04:58 AM
    And when Apple gets a BES security type for the iphone, the US Goverment will jump on that in a heartbeat.
    They cant even keep their phones and servers from being hacked - do you honestly think the government will be on it in a heartbeart? They have light years to go before they secure their systems.

Just like AOL in the mid-90's was THE internet, and like Myspace was the social web site in early to mid 2000's and Yahoo WAS the premier default web browser...technology changes in a heartbeat.
    The reason your examples work is because they in fact werent competing with anyone (and I never remember a yahoo web browser, there's been netscape - IE - firefox -Opera as long as I can remember). RIM is still doing fine internationally and despite not releasing a phone in the past year is still holding on to a quarter of the market. I think people will eventually realise droid is buggy and ios is for specific demographic - which leaves all kinds of room for BBOS.
    07-08-11 06:35 AM

Not in my view, which is the main reason I have stayed away from the iPhone.
    07-08-11 06:46 AM
    To me, the most disturbing thing in all this back and forth of, "my iP (or Droid whatever) is better than your BB", is the glee, the absolute delight that some of these non-BB users have at the prospect of RIM going down in flames...! Good grief! What then would I do for a phone? If I wanted an iP or Droid I would've bought one. Simple as that.
    07-08-11 09:23 AM
    They cant even keep their phones and servers from being hacked - do you honestly think the government will be on it in a heartbeart? They have light years to go before they secure their systems.

The reason your examples work is because they in fact werent competing with anyone (and I never remember a yahoo web browser, there's been netscape - IE - firefox -Opera as long as I can remember). RIM is still doing fine internationally and despite not releasing a phone in the past year is still holding on to a quarter of the market. I think people will eventually realise droid is buggy and ios is for specific demographic - which leaves all kinds of room for BBOS.
    The reality of RIM doing well in other countries such has India, Phillipines, Indonisa, etc, is that you can get a BlackBerry for around $250.00-$300.00 USD against an iphone going for $600.00-$700.00 90% of thier carrier service is prepaid, If the rumor that iphone may produce a cheaper version of the iphone for these countries WILL cut majorly into RIM's overseas sales. I'm still amazed that people on here still "Rah-Rah" RIM after losing almost 20% of the USA market within the last three years. The Bold 9900/9930 will be a very thin bandaid until RIM can release a US competitive QNX device in 2012 to go against Android & iphone...if they can't you may see RIM receed back into just being a corporate business smartphone only.
    07-08-11 09:54 AM

Legal or not, it's stupid and unsafe. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do that thing.
    07-08-11 10:04 AM
    tl;dnr - pfft um when was the last iphone released? gee talking about complaining for new releases there has been more blackberrys released since the last iphone release than iphones ever created.

o wait i didnt realize white iphones was so different it need to be treated as a new release.
    07-08-11 11:55 AM
    To me, the most disturbing thing in all this back and forth of, "my iP (or Droid whatever) is better than your BB", is the glee, the absolute delight that some of these non-BB users have........
    That's because the iP (or Droid whatever) is the only good thing in their life
    eBud likes this.
    07-08-11 12:33 PM
    Let me be clear -- I much, much prefer a keyboard. I could care less about the extra screen size. I am not even that excited about 99% of Iphone apps. But when I'm not typing out emails on my phone I like to surf the web, read the papers, etc. And it is a massively different experience on the Iphone, like nothing I have ever experienced on a mobile device after 10 years of smart phones (Palm/Treo/BB). I'm not sure I'd drop the BB's keyboard just to get that web surfing capability -- but coupled with the wait for the Bold Touch and the fortuitous timing of them coming out the same time (so I am ready to jump for either), plus the fact that my company (and the majority of companies, even with significant security needs) now support the Iphone, and that Iphone is the future (let's face it -- okay maybe Droid but not BB) -- I'm very much on the fence and it will likely come down to timing (who's out first). Which is amazing for me because I figured I'd never, ever, ever get a keyboard-less phone.
    07-08-11 01:57 PM
    I'll admit I've had limited experience with BB phones let alone to really type on the keyboard but have any of you bashing the iPhone virtual keyboard really taken the time to use it? The text input along with autocorrect is nearly flawless. No other software keyboard comes even close. You can even touch type pretty effortlessly on the iPad if it's angled correctly.
    07-08-11 04:17 PM
    have fun with the iphone.. i've posted many times why i hate using it..

it;s for simple minded people that don't have the brains to use menus, options etc etc etc.. that's why it does well.. it's simple! User friendly!

As someone who uses (and enjoys) both an iPhone and a BlackBerry, I find that offensive. I'm educated on the strengths and weaknesses of both, and appreciate both, I hardly see how that makes me "simple minded".

Why can't you simply enjoy the device that suits you best, and let others do the same? And that's not just directed at you, but everyone that insists there is a line in the sand.

I'm so tired of hearing that only stiff business users who are behind the times use BlackBerrys, or only "children" use the iPhone for a "play device".
    mustangv8, vrs626 and wtmk81 like this.
    07-08-11 05:45 PM
    Is going to be the 9900/9930 release date timed poorly (late) vis-a-vis the Iphone 5. Here's a fight for the next generation and by letting the timing slip (I realize it is the carriers and not just RIM doing that) it will be tremendously costly. I have been a BB user for several years now, never in love with the form factor but very excited for the 9900/9930 -- FINALLY. So I've let my contract expire, waiting, waiting, waiting for this device, which is what I've waited 5 years for -- touchscreen + a fixed keyboard. My current device is half-broken now but I can't really replace it since I want the new Bold and don't want to deal with a temporary device. So the other day I happen to try out my wife's Iphone 4. I mean... WOW. Okay, no keyboard which I always felt was (and maybe still is) a dealbreaker for me but internet on that thing is absolute night and day vs. my Blackberry (OS 5). It's like AOL dialup in 1998 vs. T1 on a 2011 Lenovo Thinkpad. Seamless beautiful webpages and integration with major websites. Pages load in a split second on any connection. Even with Opera browser my BB is clunky, slow, and 50% of the web looks terrible.

Which normally would just a fact of life because hey, I need a keyboard and my company doesn't support Iphone. Except now they do -- because I feel like 50% of BB-only companies now support Iphone (with the other 50% to follow soon) and maybe, just maybe, the other features of the Iphone are great enough for me to ditch the keyboard. I am pretty tempted and I can assure you if the Iphone 5 comes out first, I'll be jumping on that. If the BB comes out first... well we'll see. But as of now I see no reason to think we'll see the 9930 (Verizon) in August, and the Iphone seems set for September per latest (confirmed/WSJ) rumors.

If all (or half?) the people waiting for the Bold Touch end up with an Iphone... RIM's days are numbered.

Right now, RIM has two things only going for it: (1) legacy corporate users/security focus and (2) keyboard. Number 1 is dying. Number 2 might be able to keep them alive for a little longer but this delay may hasten that death. And oh, if Iphone ever comes out with a keyboard/form factor to match BB, then it's game, set and match.

Just my 2 cents.
    I've been using a busted device for quite some time as well. i am still waiting for this phone(as well as the monaco). The iphone isn't necessarily an option for me, but the upcoming droids have me thinking about leaving. I want to stay with BB and have been holding out from switching. even though everyone asks me why I continue to live with so many problems with my BB.
    07-08-11 06:06 PM
    As someone who uses (and enjoys) both an iPhone and a BlackBerry, I find that offensive. I'm educated on the strengths and weaknesses of both, and appreciate both, I hardly see how that makes me "simple minded".

Why can't you simply enjoy the device that suits you best, and let others do the same? And that's not just directed at you, but everyone that insists there is a line in the sand.

I'm so tired of hearing that only stiff business users who are behind the times use BlackBerrys, or only "children" use the iPhone for a "play device".
    i had the iphone4 and the blackberry as well.. simple minded as most people iphones just don't want to have that learning curve of using a more complex phone with encryption, settings, different sounds for each profile etc etc.

sorry if u took it offensively, but it's true.. i'm not a business user, yes i have a blackberry for my work, but i also have one for my personal device and it does both well..

the reason why iphones are labelled for "children" is because a lot of children have iphones and grandmas and gramdpas... and it's mostly for games..

but u are right.. iphones are suited for the ones who need it for it is!
    07-08-11 11:18 PM
    The ***** who said iPhones is for people who don't have brains to use menus is clearly the biggest ***** I've ever encountered on any forum...

There are plenty of people who don't have the time to deal with learning complex menus when they actually have better things to do. My friend who is an emergency room doctor uses an iPhone and you don't think she has brains? She probably has more brains than the person who made that post. #godihate-dumb-idiots
    07-08-11 11:31 PM
    The timing of this release is just insane. I remember telling my friends my next phone might be a BB again and everyone thought I was insane. I was willing to give RIM the benefit of the doubt, I was confident it would be out way before the iPhone 5/new Androids hit the market. RIM screwed themselves hard, now I'll be dumping my BB and going with something else, as many many more people will do.
    07-08-11 11:35 PM
    The timing of this release is just insane. I remember telling my friends my next phone might be a BB again and everyone thought I was insane. I was willing to give RIM the benefit of the doubt, I was confident it would be out way before the iPhone 5/new Androids hit the market. RIM screwed themselves hard, now I'll be dumping my BB and going with something else, as many many more people will do.
    Totally agreed. The big 3 phones coming from Apple and Android are iPhone 4S/5, Galaxy S2, and Bionic. RIM is crazy to not release the 9900 series before they come out.

If anything, those other phones have more mass-appeal. Why not beat them to the bunch and get in some sales before they get out-sold massively while pleasing your fan base...!?!?

I just don't get it.
    07-08-11 11:41 PM
    I agree with some. The 99XX may be a band-aid. Honestly. RIMM needs QNX to be on par with iOS and android. Easier saidf than done right? Its not like going to Starbucks and buying a coffee. They/RIMM must know this by now. Its all a matter of time and logistics.... I for one, may go iP5 till the really good devices come out

Only time wil tell

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 02:19 AM
    Yes the killer for RIM will be the timing.

BBs have always been a business phone and just recently they have been moving over to what i call the "fun market". Whats going on is that Apple has noticed that RIM is trying to go to the "fun market" while still being a business phone and intern are making their phones more business.

Will RIM make a business phone fun before Apple makes a fun phone business???
    07-09-11 11:00 AM

it;s for simple minded people that don't have the brains to use menus, options etc etc etc.. that's why it does well.. it's simple! User friendly!

I'm considering switching myself. Never understood this rationale, in fact, it's a cop-out, and beyond ridiculous.

Simple and user friendly, yet accomplishing the same things? Sign me up. If I had to make 2 points in a basketball game, I'd hope for a layup, not a shot at the top of the key.
    If that's simple minded, so be it. I'd argue a lot smarter.
    07-09-11 11:55 AM

did u read this thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-apple-628020/

good luck with any business using an iphone! their live bait just waiting to get hacked! there have been several articles about companies allowing android and iphones in their company and they got screwed due to the security weakness of their OS..

any phone that can be exposed via going to a website (jailbreakme.com) is a major SCREW up!

FTP access to anyone's jailbroken iphone via open wifi network..
    username: dottie
    password: alpine
    (might have changed, i haven't researched it in a while)

that's the username and password for ROOT!! ROOT for goodness sake! when a hacker can hash out the root password to anything it's bad, especially in 15 seconds! you can wipe out an iphone in less then 20 seconds! access anything on the iphone.. text messages, emails, passwords etc etc etc...

RIM said Summer! it's still summer! Summer doesn't end till Sept 23... so if it's not out by then, you can re-post your thread.

your first post .. enough said
    First - Blackberries can be hacked just as easily as any iOS device as demonstrated in the last hacking convention (or whatever it's called). Moreover, the default username and password information can be changed to ensure greater security should a user decide to Jailbreak a device.

There's nothing wrong with a the iPhone being superior to the Blackberry, which it very well is. What it boils down to is personal preference. If you want an unrivaled keyboard with mind-blowing battery life, Blackerry is your option. If you want a more media oriented device with a fantastic web browsing experience, you're better of with an iDevice.

/rant

07-09-11 12:16 PM
    I agree with some. The 99XX may be a band-aid. Honestly. RIMM needs QNX to be on par with iOS and android. Easier saidf than done right? Its not like going to Starbucks and buying a coffee. They/RIMM must know this by now. Its all a matter of time and logistics.... I for one, may go iP5 till the really good devices come out

Only time wil tell

I don't see QNX as the solution to all RIMs problems. They need to fix BIS and make it optional. They should make BES cheaper.

I am happy about BIS 4.1. It does fix some of BIS's more glaring flaws. QNX OTOH could do for RIM what WebOS did for Palm if the don't manage the transition correctly.
    07-09-11 01:02 PM
115 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD