One thing has been really irk'ing me about the bold release. RIM is a United States based company. So why the heck did Europe get the bold before the US? Carriers here should move their butts in order for a release before other countries release. I mean, Apple, and american company, released it in the states first. So why is RIM not following suit?
    09-01-08 06:28 AM
    RIM is Canadian. There are MANY products that don't get first release in the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 06:32 AM
    RIM is truly not the only company that does this. Many of the phones the U.S. carriers get have been released a year before in other countries anyway.
    09-01-08 06:42 AM
    When it comes to the mobile market the states is behind, every manufacturer besides apple and motorola(which no on cares about) releases their devices outside North America first. People say the bold has not been released there yet because at&t wants to get the last bugs out first. Which is probably true, but either way RIM really needed to get this device out to the rest of the world so their sales can pick up. In the rest of the world, where 3G is not a new technology, a lot of people were not ready to come over to Blackberry because they were not prepared to give up 3G and take a step backwards just so they can have a BB. The attitude back home in Canada and the states is different with 3G being new, a lot of consumers arent in a rush to upgrade. You can see here, people convincing themselves that the ''Bold is not much of an upgrade to the curve'', when it really is a huge step.
    09-01-08 07:10 AM
    And seriously, the amount of things the US has got that Europe hasn't (can you say DRM free music download stores?) is rather large. The Bold is the only thing that I've been interested in that WASN'T released in the US before UK.

Gogo RIM.
    09-01-08 09:21 AM
    One thing has been really irk'ing me about the bold release. RIM is a United States based company. So why the heck did Europe get the bold before the US? Carriers here should move their butts in order for a release before other countries release. I mean, Apple, and american company, released it in the states first. So why is RIM not following suit?
    RIM is NOT based in the US. Headquarters is in Canada. Now as far as it taking a while to release in the US. Have you seen the problems associated with this device? Is that the type of device you want? I know not all are totally buggy, but most are. I know I and probably most others would prefer the device to be the best it can be rather than rushing it to market(buggy nonetheless) because some people are impatient. AT&T is doing the RIGHT thing.
    09-01-08 09:39 AM
    RIM is NOT based in the US. Headquarters is in Canada. Now as far as it taking a while to release in the US. Have you seen the problems associated with this device? Is that the type of device you want? I know not all are totally buggy, but most are. I know I and probably most others would prefer the device to be the best it can be rather than rushing it to market(buggy nonetheless) because some people are impatient. AT&T is doing the RIGHT thing.
    I knew I'd find crucial in this thread and I knew he'd be right on the money.

If you really want to look at things try and see if some Japanese phones ever make it to the states. You're just lucky you're a blackberry fanatic and not some land of the rising cell junkie. You might never see a phone you like. **** those guys probably have playstation 2 on their phones.
    09-01-08 10:16 AM
    ok so i didn't know it was a Canadian company. That makes a little more sense.
    09-01-08 11:41 AM
    haha...

I find it funny that someone brings all of this attention to how poor RIM is... but they do not have their facts in line. RIM is not US-based... they are Canadian. And why should anyone pay attentions to the validity of your argument when your opening statement is incorrect

Sorry, but your post and complaint really makes no sense. And the carriers have their choice of when to release the devices... as long as it is not exclusive. ATT could have released the Bold long ago... but, in all honesty, the Bold that is out on the market now sucks! So ATT knows what they are doing... better to be patient than to rush and then have to deal with supporting buggy devices!
    09-01-08 11:57 AM
    +1 for bmcclure's post. OP looks silly now....

09-01-08 12:01 PM
    Again, people need to stop blaming RIM for the delay. Sure they're programming whatever but AT&T is more at fault. Like the OP stated, it's already been released to other countries and working fairly well (arguable that handsets out now suck, many users are enjoying them and even when AT&T finally releases it, it still will have bugs). If AT&T didn't have such a poor 3G network for whatever you want to name, stability, volume/customers, etc. The Bold would've been released in the states already.
    09-01-08 12:07 PM
    haha...

I find it funny that someone brings all of this attention to how poor RIM is... but they do not have their facts in line. RIM is not US-based... they are Canadian. And why should anyone pay attentions to the validity of your argument when your opening statement is incorrect

Sorry, but your post and complaint really makes no sense. And the carriers have their choice of when to release the devices... as long as it is not exclusive. ATT could have released the Bold long ago... but, in all honesty, the Bold that is out on the market now sucks! So ATT knows what they are doing... better to be patient than to rush and then have to deal with supporting buggy devices!
    I was waiting for someone to slip up...

So ATT knows what they are doing... better to be patient than to rush and then have to deal with supporting buggy devices!
    All I should have to say is AT&T + 3G iPhone= No 3G & No battery life... Hmmm... Nice general argument, but AT&T just recently DID release a buggy phone...

09-01-08 12:17 PM
    did someone say rim was AMERICAN... hahahahah RIM is and always has been CANADIAN. and yeah stop blaming rim for the delay. rim and every other phone company in the world(except elitist apple) doesn't tell carriers how much to sell phones for or when to release em. rim just releases the phone to carriers and works with them to test it and get it certified and then its up to the carrier to release it when it sees fit and at whatever price they want....

an american cell phone maker.... i think only motorola is american.... and unfortunately that aint a compliment.

Research In Motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

almost every cell phone or any other product in the world gets released in asia/europe way before it gets to america, unless the product was specifically intended for an american market onyl. people tend to forget, america is at the forefront of nothing when it comes to technology. they are way behind asia/europe.
    Last edited by avmsam; 09-01-08 at 12:20 PM.
    09-01-08 12:17 PM
    Well.....I like your avitar though!
    09-01-08 12:33 PM

<cut>

All I should have to say is AT&T + 3G iPhone= No 3G & No battery life... Hmmm... Nice general argument, but AT&T just recently DID release a buggy phone...

Yeah, I understand that the iPhone has some general bugs... but the main reason ATT pushed the iPhone was because of pressure from Apple. There is no way they would release a product with known issues.

I agree with you, they did put out a product that needs to have kinks worked out... but it is not a hardware flaw or anything serious like that. All of the issues can be worked out with firmware upgrades (hopefully)

At any rate... RIM is not pressuring carriers to release the device. The Bold seems to be solid in terms of hardware, but there are still some software kinks that need to be ironed out as well. As you can see from the numerous tests that have been done, the Bold is Buggggggy! ATT is most likely waiting until some more bugs are worked out But I know what you mean.
    09-01-08 12:45 PM
    +1 for bmcclure's post. OP looks silly now....

OP looked silly from the thread title... you cant blame RIM they are a business. Look at the reason why they announced the Bold when they did. May 12 was the same day as their Q1 earnings report (or close to it) if my memory serves correct. It was announced in conjunction with the earnings report to show progress and growth in the company and to secure more investors. There was no intention on releasing the device anytime soon at that point reports still said it suffered from overheating and battery issues.

Now thank goodness they fixed those two buggers. (I will personally embarrass anyone who says the battery life is terrible, theres no reason to run a 3G radio, wifi, and bluetooth all day. It may not be on par with the curve but its using a whole crapload more juice to run all its radios)
    09-01-08 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD