Rain poured through my car window onto my blackberry keyboard for about 30 seconds. Screen is covered. The raindrops were of the large variety and maintained a raindrop structure on top of the keys ala lotus effect. The keyboard was completely covered but it was wiped straight away, and as the rain drops didn't break up, I'm hoping there was no seepage through the keyboard. Do you think it will be ok?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 10:56 AM
    I would take out the battery and put the unit in a bag of rice.
    06-15-09 10:58 AM
    I would also subscribe to the rice procedure... just to be safe.
    06-15-09 11:03 AM
    It was about three days ago and I've had it in the sun since so I think it will be ok.

06-15-09 11:34 AM
    Have you noticed any problems then? I would think water would still have gotten down in there. I would have tried the rice thing myself.
    06-15-09 11:41 AM
    No I haven't notice any problems. I wan't too bothered initially but now I'm wondering if it would've damaged anything. I would've thought that phones are water resistant to a certain limit?

06-15-09 11:47 AM
    If nothing has been weird since, then there's nothing to worry about. I've
    gotten some raindrops on my Bold too. No big deal.
    06-15-09 11:48 AM
    Heating it (sitting in the sun) will not draw the moisture out, that's why you use the rice. There may not be anything wrong at all. The bad part is the only way to find out is to turn it on, and if you are wrong, goodbye phone.
    06-15-09 11:49 AM
    Would putting it in rice have any effect now, after three days?

06-15-09 11:55 AM
    No I haven't notice any problems. I wan't too bothered initially but now I'm wondering if it would've damaged anything. I would've thought that phones are water resistant to a certain limit?

Oh good, I'm glad you haven't noticed anything, or nothing appears wrong. I would think you would know by now, I could be wrong though. I messed my very first curve up with just a tad bit of water... But I knew something was wrong right away.
    06-15-09 11:56 AM
    Would putting it in rice have any effect now, after three days?

It's unclear whether you have been using it or not. If you have, then I would say no harm done.
    06-15-09 12:01 PM
    I had the same problem a while back, and while it caused no damage, I tried to take it in this weekend for some issues with the charging port and the bit of rain caused the water detection stripe to turn colors.....no more warranty for me......
    06-15-09 12:03 PM
    I have been using it and I've noticed no problems. What is this water detection stripe?

06-15-09 01:37 PM
    A sticker inside the case of the phone...usually under your battery...it will change color if it gets wet. There's usually more sensors deeper in the phone's innards so the manufacturer has adequate protection from people trying to scam them. Learned this the hard way with a work supplied Moto flip that I gave a swimming lesson to.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-15-09 at 02:10 PM.
    06-15-09 02:05 PM
    My sticker under the battery is still white. I'm hoping the ones inside or too. I just checked my girlfriends 8900 and her sticker underneath the battery has a red stripe!

06-16-09 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD