I hate my Samsung Galaxy, so I'm thinking of switching back to my old Blackberry Bold 9000.

Although I like the phone itself better, I miss the Android OS. Is there a "somewhat" easy way to install Android onto an old Blackberry?

Or, the thing I miss the most about the Android OS is the ability to put shortcuts on my main screen. I have shortcuts to turn off my WiFi, Data, and Bluetooth so I can save on battery life without going through the settings menu every time. Is there a way to do that on the Blackberry? Even if I just have a shortcut to the relevant settings menu, that would make me happy (so, 1 click might take me to the WiFi options).
    09-04-13 08:53 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

No, there is no way to install Android OS on older BlackBerry phones.

AOSLED is an app that will give you this option as well as MANY other great features..

BlackBerry World - Advance OS and LED
    09-04-13 11:02 AM
    Hi, and welcome to CrackBerry! Actually, you've been here a while, but congrats on finally making that first post!
    Please update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. Makes it easier for others to help you.

Yes, this is easier on the BB10 devices to quickly adjust the settings like those. Several are built into the home screen.
    No, you cannot install Android anything on a legacy BBOS device like the Bold 9000.

I'd recommend buying an app called QuickLaunch:
    BlackBerry World - QuickLaunch

You can map it to your Convenience Key and add in 1-3 letter shortcuts to launch various apps or to execute certain functions like Wi-Fi On/Off, BT On/Off, All Connections On/Off, etc. GPS is probably there too, just don't remember specifically.

So for example, you could set up that clicking your Convenience Key then W will turn your Wi-Fi on or off.
    And it does open a little menu on-screen too in case you forgot the shortcut or prefer just scrolling & clicking. Also, you can use it from anywhere, not just from home screen.

While I was on legacy BBOS devices, this was probably my favourite app. It has a tiny footprint and offers tons of customization & functionality.
    Last edited by elite1; 09-04-13 at 11:15 AM.
    09-04-13 11:05 AM
    how does quicklaunch compare with advance OS? i have quicklaunch, but with the newer 7.1 os'es i seem to have an issue with the gps toggle. i am wondering if there are any other alternatives to quicklaunch that perform this same type of functionality
    09-07-13 08:11 PM
    how does quicklaunch compare with advance OS? i have quicklaunch, but with the newer 7.1 os'es i seem to have an issue with the gps toggle. i am wondering if there are any other alternatives to quicklaunch that perform this same type of functionality
    Ask the developer of Toggle Pro (I just searched in App World for 'toggle'). The description doesn't explicitly say GPS.

@OP: Search for 'shortcut' in app world.
    09-07-13 08:21 PM
    Manage WiFi automatically (On / Off) with no clicking. The app is called Wi-Fi Manager in BlackBerry App World as I recon. I used it when I had legacy BlackBerry phones.
    11-19-13 10:19 PM
    I hate my Samsung Galaxy, so I'm thinking of switching back to my old Blackberry Bold 9000.

Although I like the phone itself better, I miss the Android OS. Is there a "somewhat" easy way to install Android onto an old Blackberry?

Or, the thing I miss the most about the Android OS is the ability to put shortcuts on my main screen. I have shortcuts to turn off my WiFi, Data, and Bluetooth so I can save on battery life without going through the settings menu every time. Is there a way to do that on the Blackberry? Even if I just have a shortcut to the relevant settings menu, that would make me happy (so, 1 click might take me to the WiFi options).
    To me it sounds like you like the physical keyboard but want a modern OS with modern features. I'm not trying to sell you a new BlackBerry but it really does sound like you could benefit greatly from a Q10 or Q5. You can swipe down from the top, and click bluetooth, and wifi off then click settings the network connections to turn off data. Or your could simply program an NFC tag to do it all by physically hovering your phone over the NFC tag, boom done.

Plus with the next update you will be able to install android apps directly.

****... it does sound like I'm trying to sell you one.. sorry.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:57 PM