I remember on my last Blackberry I had downloaded an app that would allow me to quickly compose an SMS from the main screen. I have a Bold now and want to know the best and quickest way to compose an SMS. It's such a pain having to go to a contact, then Menu button, then scroll to Compose SMS. What is the best solution for this? Thanks.
    06-21-09 09:30 PM
    Here you go:
    berrycoder.com

It will bind "q" to compose sms
    06-21-09 09:33 PM
    QuickLaunch also allows you to set up speed text.
    06-21-09 09:38 PM
    QuickLaunch also allows you to set up speed text.
    Thou that takes 2 clicks + cost money.
    Of course it got the advantage that you can predefine the recipient, but i don't like that.
    06-21-09 09:42 PM
    Maybe QuickLaunch is cool, but I'd really prefer a free app. I'm pretty opposed to paying for apps on my BB unless they're an absolute necessity. Just seems excessive to me with all of the open source options out there these days.
    06-21-09 09:43 PM
    QSMS makes the "Q" a sms shortcut and is free. Also Quicktext is great. They have a free trial but I think the app is $6.99. It does the same thing as qsms but it allows you to set shortcuts for each contact. So if I set the "a" button as your shortcut all I do is hit "q" then "a" and I get the compose screen with your #

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 11:29 PM
    Thou that takes 2 clicks + cost money.
    Of course it got the advantage that you can predefine the recipient, but i don't like that.
    Yeah but quicklaunch gives you the ability to do this and a whole lot more other things on the phone. If there are 5 must have apps on the phone whether paid or free this would be included in them. But if youre looking for free sorry can't help there.
    06-21-09 11:52 PM
    I have qsms but it doesn't bind "q" to compose sms from the home screen. Instead it makes the # sign. And if I hold "q" then it will change to my previous profile I've selected. Help anyone on how to set this up?

06-21-09 11:55 PM
    I have read that on the Bold you have to disable dialing from the home screen in order to set "Q" as the shortcut to compose an SMS. Is this correct? How do I even do that? Thanks.
    06-22-09 10:21 AM
    Loll how do u do that?

06-22-09 10:24 AM
    Maybe QuickLaunch is cool, but I'd really prefer a free app. I'm pretty opposed to paying for apps on my BB unless they're an absolute necessity. Just seems excessive to me with all of the open source options out there these days.
    Its funny because since I've had the Bold, I've been trying to put in to words WHY I can't justify paying for apps/themes/etc....and you did it for me. Thank you lol.
    06-22-09 10:31 AM
    I have read that on the Bold you have to disable dialing from the home screen in order to set "Q" as the shortcut to compose an SMS. Is this correct? How do I even do that? Thanks.
    * Press "Send"
    * Press MENU > OPTIONS > GENERAL OPTIONS
    * "Dial from homescreen?" = No

Voila.
    06-22-09 10:32 AM
    * Press "Send"
    * Press MENU > OPTIONS > GENERAL OPTIONS
    * "Dial from homescreen?" = No

Voila.
    I was looking everywhere! Thank you so much!

06-22-09 10:46 AM
    I was looking everywhere! Thank you so much!

I bet you didn't try the help or the manual....
    06-22-09 11:11 AM
    I would definitely recommend QuickLaunch. I really only text 1-2 people, and I have them set up on QuickLaunch to make it easier to text them. I absolutely love it . That or Qsms, which I used before getting QuickLaunch.
    06-22-09 11:20 AM
    I bet you didn't try the help or the manual....
    Who needs either when you've got CB?
    06-22-09 11:38 AM
    Seriously guys, you need to make an exception and purchase Quick Launch. If there is one app you buy make it this one, worth every penny!

06-22-09 11:59 AM
    I think RIM needs to figure out people like free and open source applications way more than paying for them. I guess it doesn't take a lot of market research to figure that one out.

Also, it doesn't take much market research to figure out that this same idea has been very successful for PCs and for the iPhone. On my PC, I pretty much only use free and open source software to do anything I need to do (manage finances at mint.com, e-mail with Gmail, browse with Firefox or Chrome, documents with Google Docs or OpenOffice, the list goes on and on). So why can't this same idea transfer to the Blackberry? The iPhone isn't much different than the route BB's are going now - yes you still have to pay for a lot of apps through iTunes - but there are a ton more free apps there than you can find with Blackberry. A few of the notable ones are weather.com which is awesome on my iPod touch, but costs money on BB, and Shazam, which is free on iPhone but only gives a short free trial on BB. I'm sure there are many other examples out there.

So why are we still paying for these features that should be either 1) native or 2) open source? I guess this thread just went a whole new direction with this conversation, but hey it's been on my mind. Just some thoughts.
    06-22-09 12:36 PM
    Here you go:
    berrycoder.com

It will bind "q" to compose sms
    Got any secrets for the storm in this situation? I just wanna be able to hit something once and type... not go into SMS and MMS, Compose, SMS, Contact, THENN start typing. Just a simple "click", Type, Contact, Send would be amazing!
    06-22-09 12:37 PM
    The Blackberry as a mainstream consumer device is a relatively new thing compared to the iPhone which has been around for a while now. I think in the next year we should start to see much more develpment going on and hopefully that will mean more great free apps.

06-22-09 02:16 PM
    I think RIM needs to figure out people like free and open source applications way more than paying for them. I guess it doesn't take a lot of market research to figure that one out.
    On the other hand, people will gladly pay for apps if they meet these two conditions:
    -They need to be very good
    -They need to be priced appropriately

For example, Lonelycatgames apps on symbian are about twice the quality of most other apps. Would I pay $20 for most email apps? No..

Would I pay $20 when it runs faster, has a far better interface that is more intuitive and works better than all the other apps, and has better notification alerts? **** yeah...

If it's a quick, out-the-door app people are going to gripe about even having to pay a few dollars.
    06-22-09 02:26 PM
    On the other hand, people will gladly pay for apps if they meet these two conditions:
    -They need to be very good
    -They need to be priced appropriately

For example, Lonelycatgames apps on symbian are about twice the quality of most other apps. Would I pay $20 for most email apps? No..

Would I pay $20 when it runs faster, has a far better interface that is more intuitive and works better than all the other apps, and has better notification alerts? **** yeah...

If it's a quick, out-the-door app people are going to gripe about even having to pay a few dollars.
    When RIM is charging you $XXX.xx for a phone...you would like to think that somewhere in their extensive think-tank they would have some good programmers who would make the NATIVE apps that good.

Then again, there's always a feature that can be improved right?
    06-22-09 02:36 PM
    When RIM is charging you $XXX.xx for a phone...you would like to think that somewhere in their extensive think-tank they would have some good programmers who would make the NATIVE apps that good.

Then again, there's always a feature that can be improved right?
    It's getting there though. Look at the new BBM previews. Massive improvement...

Expect it to be slow though. Everything isn't going to change soon.
    06-22-09 02:45 PM
    Agreed...I for one, don't mind the slow progression..gives me time to appreciate the little things
    06-22-09 04:50 PM
    Yeah but quicklaunch gives you the ability to do this and a whole lot more other things on the phone. If there are 5 must have apps on the phone whether paid or free this would be included in them. But if youre looking for free sorry can't help there.
    I agree - QuickLaunch is awesome!
    06-22-09 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD