I am about to get a Bold 9700 but I want to use it on WIND Mobile

so my plan is to get one from kijiji and unlock it then get a SIM from WIND

so now I am looking up the specs of the 9700 it shows that it has the frequencies that Wind has 1700 and 2100 so from my understanding this is going to work fine

so I called Wind and they are telling me that if its a rogers blackberry it wont work so i ask to speak with tech after waiting 45min got some kid who said the same thing

so now im just confused

if i have an unlocked 9700 will it work on WIND?

or does RIM/Blackberry just make different phones according to Providers?
    10-07-10 11:55 PM
    i'm not sure, but, as far as i know, if it's a 9700 and your company uses sim cards, you're good to go, unless rogers, specifically, doesn't have the same frequencies.
    10-08-10 12:04 AM
    There are different models of the 9700 for different carriers 3G bands. Example: an AT&T 9700 wont work correctly on T-Mobile. You'll need to do a little research on what bands WIND uses and find a 9700 that is branded from a carrier that has the same bands.
    10-08-10 12:14 AM
    The only device that will work on WIND is:

a) A WIND device.
    b) A T-Mobile device.

Nothing else is compatible.

Ftr, WIND uses 1700mhz for their 3G, which is the same as T-Mob thus, why a T-Mob 9700 will work on WIND.
    10-08-10 12:27 AM
    WIND mobile has TERRIBLE reception...

If you're in Vancouver, WIND mobile barely has any reception downtown!!!
    10-08-10 01:55 AM
    The only device that will work on WIND is:

a) A WIND device.
    b) A T-Mobile device.

Nothing else is compatible.

Ftr, WIND uses 1700mhz for their 3G, which is the same as T-Mob thus, why a T-Mob 9700 will work on WIND.
    The escreens can enable you to change your frequency to that of t-mob/wind. Just remember to change it back when you're done LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 02:54 AM
    WIND mobile has TERRIBLE reception...

If you're in Vancouver, WIND mobile barely has any reception downtown!!!
    Not the greatest in Toronto as well..
    10-08-10 07:54 AM
    For the headaches that you could have bite the bullet and buy it from them or find an actual WIND phone...will save you alot of aggrevation I'm sure. What are you really saving? You could lose the whole price that you're willing to pay if it doesn't work
    10-08-10 08:29 AM
    The escreens can enable you to change your frequency to that of t-mob/wind. Just remember to change it back when you're done LOL

Come on man.. Don't give the people false hope.. Although the option is there, it doesn't really do anything.

To change frequency bands, you would need to change the firmware. Its a process, which only RIM can do, and would require you to put the device into CAL mode, and then load the correct firmware files. You as an end user, or carriers for that matter, do not have that ability because they lack the required proprietary software that RIM uses.
    10-08-10 09:16 AM
    True dat! Were it so easy, I'd be on 3G with T-Mo right now. Takes an MFI that currently isn't available, or potentially could be flashed removing the chipset from the PCB, if you had the equipment to do such a thing.
    10-08-10 09:26 AM
    Just checking the Wind site and they've reduced the full purchase price of a 9700 to $400.
    Free shipping in Canada, but of course you've got about $50 of tax too�
    It's hard to find an unused one for less or much less, regardless of carrier, for sale in Canada.

I sold my refurb Tour for $400 last Nov once the 9700 was already out. I had a lineup of 6 people willing to pay full price if the first didn't pan out.

And remember, if you buy from the US, you've got a fair chance of paying duties & taxes on entry.
    Given the network limitation and the potential savings, I think you're safest buying new here. Or checking your local craigslist for someone selling a Wind 9700 might be a win too.

10-08-10 11:47 AM
    hi spiral out, I appreciate your comments. I looked high and low for confirmation that the frequencies for a Rogers version of the Bold 9700 and 9900 do not carry the frequencies of WIND's network. I am sad about this, but I am glad you have posted these comments. I just wish there was a clear specifications page for Roger's phones. It all seems so cloaked in mystery. weird
    06-11-13 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD