Hey all,

Been a while, been sunning myself around the balearic island for a few months now, anyway I'm back.

Anyway 9900s are all over the UK in engineering form, and the retail samples are starting to land also.

So ask away if you need any indepth tech knowledge satisfied on either variant
    b5m likes this.
    07-15-11 05:14 PM
    What do you want me to tell you. Several members here have had the 9900 for a while.

There a few questions like does the retail model have hotspot?
    07-15-11 05:25 PM
    Hey bro - no I'm not asking for information - I'm just asking if anyone wants any information on UK retail models for carriers - I've noticed a few people here have got 9900s which is awesome !

I don't know if you remember or not, but I work for one of the UK carriers so I'm just offering to help out with telling people what they might not have already gotten from people who have the engineering units. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to publically post pictures of the engineering samples or retail units I have publically, but I'm sure I can arrange something if it's needed.

To answer your question;

Not with the current firmware that will be launched with one UK carrier I can speak of, whether other carriers launch with later firmware with the feature enabled is another matter entirely.
    07-15-11 05:32 PM
    Hey Dangermouse, do you know when vodafone UK will be releasing this and will they be first? Also expected price for sim free unit.

Thanks a ton
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    07-15-11 06:01 PM
    Oh good to see you back....remember you from 9700 release anticipation days!
    07-15-11 06:06 PM
    Hi bro, as stated elsewhere, Phones4U have got August the 15th as a ship date and thats probably close to the mark

blackberry bold 9900 - pre order contract mobile phone from phones 4u

There's a link to the Pre-Order with a good idea on handset pricing on what tariffs - these will be pretty identical to what Vodafone will be offering direct.

The handsets for Phones4U are supplied by 20:20 distribution - these are the first people to be supplying retail units to the UK market and are also used by Vodafone.
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 07-15-11 at 07:10 PM.
    07-15-11 07:08 PM
    Hey bro - no I'm not asking for information - I'm just asking if anyone wants any information on UK retail models for carriers - I've noticed a few people here have got 9900s which is awesome !

I don't know if you remember or not, but I work for one of the UK carriers so I'm just offering to help out with telling people what they might not have already gotten from people who have the engineering units. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to publically post pictures of the engineering samples or retail units I have publically, but I'm sure I can arrange something if it's needed.

To answer your question;

Not with the current firmware that will be launched with one UK carrier I can speak of, whether other carriers launch with later firmware with the feature enabled is another matter entirely.
    OK Bro
    07-16-11 07:01 AM
    Hey,
    offer very much appreciated!! Do you know anything about the Full retail pricing..ie how much will it cost without contract? Im from Germany but Happen to Be in uk in August, so thought ill buy it there instead of waiting yet another couple of months..

Thanks and apologies for my autocorrect..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-11 08:18 AM
    The retail GSM price is just under �500

A Vodafone branded unit without a contract will be a bit less, around the �470-480 mark - and if you get one from the first batch, the box will be the only thing that is branded physically.
    07-16-11 08:22 AM
    So, around $750AUD. Not bad. The UK variants always play well here in Oz.

Will they be selling them without a contract? I seem to remember when I was in London for the Storm release I couldn't buy one for love nor money sans contract.
    07-16-11 08:25 AM
    You can ask any official Vodafone store for a PAYG handset which is basically just the handset, you'd then need to go away and get it unlocked online or wherever - simplest way of doing it !
    07-16-11 08:30 AM
    Sorry to hijack a 9900 thread, but is there any news on when the other new devices are coming to the UK?
    07-16-11 08:45 AM
    I got one question. When?
    07-16-11 09:46 AM
    Hey there DangerMouse, I don't suppose you have any insight with your knowledge of suppliers on when the 9900 is likely to be hitting Orange UK?

07-17-11 12:16 AM
    Hey there DangerMouse, I don't suppose you have any insight with your knowledge of suppliers on when the 9900 is likely to be hitting Orange UK?

I was gonna ask the same question as with vodafone at the moment, but considering jumping back to orange ?

Thanks
    07-17-11 05:55 AM
    The phone will be out in under 4 weeks on Vodafone UK - probably via the channel first publically (although if you have a good relationship with your business manager you could get one before Vodafone officially start shipping them), the handset is currently in carrier testing with Orange UK so not too long after Vodafone. O2 users expect a bit of a wait however . . .
    07-17-11 11:46 AM
    The phone will be out in under 4 weeks on Vodafone UK - probably via the channel first publically (although if you have a good relationship with your business manager you could get one before Vodafone officially start shipping them), the handset is currently in carrier testing with Orange UK so not too long after Vodafone. O2 users expect a bit of a wait however . . .
    yup, id say your about right, totally agrees with what iv been seeing (vodafone now have a google ad campagin, so do p4u and blackbery uk)
    also its now for pre-order on p4u as discussed on my thread here and thats saying 15/08.
    07-17-11 11:49 AM
    Gracias hombre

07-17-11 02:38 PM
    I'm due a works phone with y new job and I've been delaying as much as possible to try and get the 9900. Our works contract is with Vodafone. Do you think if I can delay until the end of the month I will be able to order one then even if I have to wait a short while for it?
    07-17-11 03:41 PM
    I've ordered a sim-free phone. Will I get it sooner?
    07-17-11 03:49 PM
    Contact your business manager towards the end of the month it will be in their ordering system by then and take it from there.

Unfortunately no, the sim free units will be about a month behind Vodafone branded units - so expect September.
    07-17-11 04:46 PM
    Don't forget as I mentioned in one of the earlier posts, when Vodafone bought Singlepoint from The Caudwell Group we got quite cosy with their distribution arm 20:20 - the same arm that supplies Phones4U so as I said, the release time for both Vodafone UK and Phones4U will be near identical barring a slightly different barcode on the side of the retail box.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-17-11 04:50 PM
    cheers, thanks for the info.
    07-18-11 03:25 AM
    OK, here are a few questions I asked in another thread...

I am wondering if this phone address a few of the BB OS annoyances:
    1. Is there column view in the Browser?
    2.can emails show graphics by default (without requiring several key presses to show them)?
    3. can you press U to get rid of the status bar when in the browser? (OS 5 does this and it just grants more screen real estate, but OS 6 seems not to! :-()
    Thanks for any info on these issues...

07-21-11 01:13 AM
    Hey bro

1) not that I can see on the firmware I'm running
    2) no
    3) as per 1)

ETA 15 days
    07-29-11 10:06 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD