**update* after contacting my carrier who wanted $75 to unlock! I followed the instructions from there cost me $7.50. I presume as long as I did a security wipe I shouldn't have any mix up when they use this phone with my current blackberry account**

I have the new z10 but an old bold I would like to give to a friend who needs a phone desperately. I just have questions about ensuring this will function correctly without mixing up my information.

I have already performed a security wipe. But I went to check if the phone was unlocked (typing mepd in sim settings) in the advanced options and noticed that my phone number is still in there and the network says "active". They will be on a different network than me.

What do I need to do to unlock the phone? I own the phone outright, bought it out when I got the z10. Shouldn?t my carrier have unlocked it when I bought it out?

Thanks for any help.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rennardd; 08-26-13 at 06:28 PM.
    08-26-13 05:43 PM
    When the phone shows your phone number, is your SIM card in there?

Unlocking cannot be done OTA, it has to be done manually. So if you paid off the phone after purchase, unless someone entered the code in manually, this locked phone is still locked. So to unlock it, you will need the code. Ask your carrier for it, before looking at paying options.
    08-26-13 05:49 PM
    It is without a sim.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 05:50 PM
    I contacted my carrier. They are asking $75! That seems a bit crazy to me. I own the phone I should be able to take it where I want! Is this normal or are the other options and avenues?
    08-26-13 06:12 PM
    Try freethisberry.
    It is much cheaper.
    I think there are also some free services.
    Search on CB for info.
    08-26-13 06:25 PM
    I contacted my carrier. They are asking $75! That seems a bit crazy to me. I own the phone I should be able to take it where I want! Is this normal or are the other options and avenues?
    This is normal. The carrier is not normally under any obligation to unlock the device for free even if you "own" it.

But as noted in the thread, there are other options to get it unlocked to range from free to just a few dollars.
    08-26-13 06:28 PM
    08-26-13 06:30 PM
    Thanks. I used the instructions in the forums to unlock it. $7.50
    I just want to be sure however, that as long as I did a security wipe there shouldn't be any mix up with my current blackberry ID or anything if they were to use my old phone correct?
    08-26-13 06:30 PM
    Thanks. I used the instructions in the forums to unlock it. $7.50
    I just want to be sure however, that as long as I did a security wipe there shouldn't be any mix up with my current blackberry ID or anything if they were to use my old phone correct?
    Sorry to be so late to the thread but they are doing it free at the link above.
    Question: giving old bold 9900 to a friend-img_00000182.png

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 06:33 PM
    Just out of curiosity, OP--what carrier is this?
    08-26-13 06:58 PM
    Virgin. Canada

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 09:12 PM
    Correct. Just full wipe it and you should be good to go. Pull your microSD card out first, if you want to save what's on it.
    08-26-13 09:18 PM