06-17-09 02:08 PM
46 12
tools
    Can someone please tell me what is the advantage of having the G1 track ball on the BB Bold over the OEM trackball that came with the AT&T Bold.

I am thinking about changing my trackball to the black one but I am not sure
    which one I should go for (G1 or the Black OEM).

Thanks
    05-26-09 02:12 AM
    I just switched my bezel and trackball a little more than a week ago and the first thing I noticed is that the texture feels alot better. My trackball felt oily and dirty and sometimes wouldn't respond so well, but the g1 trackball hasn't failed me yet.
    05-26-09 02:17 AM
    It's black.
    05-26-09 02:20 AM
    Mainly just color but it does have a slightly different feel. I bought both the G1 black and the OEM black and noticed that the OEMblack fit a bit better, but i was murdering out my Curve so I wanted it all black, hence the G1 purchase. Both are good though!
    05-26-09 02:24 AM
    doesnt show the dirt and grime that the white one will, and if you remove you silver ring on your track ball like i have done on mine to get more of the ball to be accessable, it looks nicer than the white ring.
    05-26-09 02:59 AM
    if you look at the image below the silver "bracket" is what you can remove and allow for easier track ball usage, it makes the ball feel like it is sitting higher.

05-26-09 03:04 AM
    I think the black looks better.
    05-26-09 03:44 AM
    I don't get what is meant by G1 ? :S
    But I prefer a red trackball , I wouldn't want to have an ALL-BLACK BB .. Different colors give it life

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 04:22 AM
    if you look at the image below the silver "bracket" is what you can remove and allow for easier track ball usage, it makes the ball feel like it is sitting higher.

What exactly did you remove?
    05-26-09 04:28 AM
    I don't get what is meant by G1 ? :S
    But I prefer a red trackball , I wouldn't want to have an ALL-BLACK BB .. Different colors give it life

"G1" as in the Google Android G1. Cnn.cn sells an assortment of color trackballs now but before it was just black, and that one is fully black unlike the OEM one which has a white housing under the ball. Check out Cnn.cn if you haven't already.
    05-26-09 04:29 AM
    What exactly did you remove?
    the peice is still on the phone in that picture, the silver plate that is supposed to be there to hold the track ball in place is what i took out...

see in the image below how there is no ring around the track ball? that is what i removed...

05-29-09 04:43 PM
    that is amazing looking. getting ready to black mine out!!
    05-29-09 04:58 PM
    if you want to remove the silver ring remember to get the G1 track ball and not the 8900 track ball, the housing of the ball is different and the G1 is all black, so you wont have a random silverish ring in the middle of murdered out hottness...
    05-29-09 05:01 PM
    Hmmm...seems to me like the ball would be loose and rattling around in the socket without that silver retainer clip
    05-29-09 06:23 PM
    the peice is still on the phone in that picture, the silver plate that is supposed to be there to hold the track ball in place is what i took out...

see in the image below how there is no ring around the track ball? that is what i removed...

Its a great idea, do you get problems with junk getting in around the housing?
    05-29-09 06:40 PM
    Can this work for the 83XX

05-29-09 08:39 PM
    Not having the chrome ring in there looks TONS better on the blacked out Bolds. I never noticed before but WOW!
    05-29-09 10:48 PM
    yeah it started with me just trying to raise the trackball height cause my fat fingers were having problems with clicking and i had to use my fingernail to click....after taking it off i decided that it just looked hott!.... and the track ball has enough friction pressure to keep it in place just fine.

yes the track ball will work on the 8300, and they sell a black ring for it as well... buddy of mine did his red 8310 and it looks pretty sick, i will see if i can get some pics of it tomorrow and post em up for ya
    05-30-09 12:26 AM
    Awesome!!! Where would you recomend ordering from?

05-30-09 06:25 AM
    As long as you don't mind waiting a little bit Cnn.cn is where I got my first round of stuff.... I got the 2nd round from dealsIshop.com. They are US based so shipping is faster.... Product quality seems fine to me.... U can tell for your self in the picture

05-30-09 09:33 AM
    Cnn is cheaper though

05-30-09 09:34 AM
    if you want to remove the silver ring remember to get the G1 track ball and not the 8900 track ball, the housing of the ball is different and the G1 is all black, so you wont have a random silverish ring in the middle of murdered out hottness...
    That is hot Rev. I'll have to make that mod later today.
    05-30-09 09:54 AM
    Wow, that Bold posted there is absolutely awesome.
    Down the line I might 'black out' mine (Only a few days til I get it ) as I hate the look of dirty trackballs, and as far as I know this is a recurring problem with Blackberrys, right?
    05-30-09 10:56 AM
    Has anyone tried to paint or perm color the silver ring black so its still on but black?
    05-30-09 03:19 PM
    Question about the backlight, does anything come through?
    With a black ball that is, can I get a pic by any chance?

05-30-09 04:43 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD