no the back light does not shine through, it is completeley dark
    05-30-09 07:16 PM
    I just blacked out my Bold and replaced the trackball with a red one. Although I love how my Bold looks, the red trackball feels much more slippery than the OEM one. It kinda takes away from the joy of using my blackberry. I have to press it much harder for it to roll. Questions is...is G1's trackball really better than the OEM one? Also, I had 8900 before I switched to Bold and the trackball on 8900 was a joy to use. Is 8900's trackball compatible with the Bold's?
    06-14-09 06:06 AM
    8900 trackball is what ppl are referring to as the oem black trackball. as in it is made by blackberry. I've been using the G1 black tractball for a little while and it is a joy to use. I tried using a blue coloured trackball and it was horrible. Great for a couple of day but then it started sticking and becoming non-responsive. G1 all the way for me
    06-14-09 08:35 AM
    Love my G1 ball. A big improvement over what was previously installed. The original trackball had all kinds of nasty gunk in it and on it when I took it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 09:41 AM
    Ohh and leave the silver retaining clip! It is there for a reason!

06-14-09 09:45 AM
    I agree, I love the G1 trackball, I left the chrome ring on and I love it.
    06-14-09 10:09 AM
    Thanks a lot guys! The red trackball is really starting to irritate me. Almost no texture to it and very slippery.
    06-14-09 03:27 PM
    I have both the OEM Black trackball and the G1 trackball. What i noticed with the OEM Black is that when the backlight comes on, it appears purple. With the G1, it doesnt let any light through it.
    06-14-09 04:06 PM
    what did you guys use to take the clips off of the trackball cover.... the two clips that clip the trackball housing in place? i am having a very hard time taking apart these clips.

let me know.

thanks.
    06-14-09 08:55 PM
    the peice is still on the phone in that picture, the silver plate that is supposed to be there to hold the track ball in place is what i took out...

see in the image below how there is no ring around the track ball? that is what i removed...

dude that is so gorgeous....i just fainted
    06-15-09 12:50 AM
    I have been using a G1 trackball for months now. I think it is much better than the stock unit. One thing though...I thought it was a tad bit smaller than the 8900 version.
    06-15-09 07:31 AM
    could someone please let me know what they used to open up the trackball housing to get the trackball out? i am having a lot of trouble doing so.
    06-15-09 07:36 PM
    could someone please let me know what they used to open up the trackball housing to get the trackball out? i am having a lot of trouble doing so.
    Watch the CNN.cn videos on the Bold
    06-15-09 07:49 PM
    I used tweezers to get the trackball clips opened. The g1 ball I ordered though doesn't seem to like registering rolling action to the left.

06-15-09 07:49 PM
    Its just a little clip near the board, I used a little pin and pried it outwards
    06-15-09 10:48 PM
    What's the difference between 8900 (atomic trackball) and G1? I bought the 8900 trackball but I noticed it has a slicker surface which cause the trackball not as responsive as the OEM one. What about G1? i'm consider the G1 if it's similiar to the OEM one.
    06-16-09 08:36 AM
    I now have the white ball which i turning a little ugly (yellowish) and the texture is allmost gone. Would the purchase be worth it, or should i just clean the white one?

06-16-09 08:48 AM
    I now have the white ball which i turning a little ugly (yellowish) and the texture is allmost gone. Would the purchase be worth it, or should i just clean the white one?

Purchase new ones, much easier than taking apart your current one and cleaning it.
    06-16-09 08:51 AM
    What's the difference between 8900 (atomic trackball) and G1? I bought the 8900 trackball but I noticed it has a slicker surface which cause the trackball not as responsive as the OEM one. What about G1? i'm consider the G1 if it's similiar to the OEM one.
    Never got to compare textures, but the G1 is a little bit smaller, It took me a few hrs to get used to it, but now I love it.
    06-16-09 12:53 PM
    So you're telling me the ball does not move if you remove the silver crown that holds it in place? Your phone looks sick, did you try Rogers keyboard with the red letters?
    06-16-09 06:24 PM
    i tried to left the silver ring off.. but the trackball keep moving around.. so i spray paint the silver ring.. and it looked really nice..
    06-17-09 01:08 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD