I am leaving for college on the day after tomorrow, and the entire campus is wifi. I would love to somehow take advantage of this fact. Is there any way that I could get around paying the $30 a month and pay less for something like a limited data plan? The only times I would need data and not be on wifi would be when I come home for vacations or leave campus rarely. Any ideas?
    08-19-09 01:33 PM
    No. Data is an all or nothing proposition. You can add texting
    but you won't have internet access without a data plan or
    a WiFi signal.
    08-19-09 03:35 PM
    Sad but true its all or none.

Does anyone know if you can still use the bbm if you have no data plan and are using the wifi?
    No. A data plan is what activates a PIN.
    08-19-09 03:50 PM
    if I cancel my data plan, i can't bbm on wifi?
    08-19-09 04:22 PM
    YOu cannot BBM over WiFi. Your PIN goes through a BlackBerry Network, either BIS, or BES. If none are available, you cannot use BBM. Thats why its effectively free

If all else, BeeJive, and IM+ can work on WiFi
    08-19-09 04:54 PM
    I know Rogers offers a reduced data plan with unlimited email, instant messenger and such. You don't have access to browsing, but you can BBM and email as much as you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 03:49 AM
    I remember having my service plan suspended, but still had wifi on my BB, and yet still had emails and bbm working, despite my sim being blocked by my carrier.

08-20-09 04:07 AM
    It depends on what you look forward to do with your BlackBerry. what you are going to use it for. Several (almost all) applications like yahoo messenger, facebook, google maps, etc etc, DO NOT work in the presence of a wi-fi connection. They require a data plan. Of course, if you only want to browse through the internet randomly, when you feel like it, it's no use subscribing for a data plan. However,if you always want to have your email inbox close to you or have a difficult schedule you might want to consider the data plan. BlabkBerries love it!
    08-20-09 04:54 AM
    Several (almost all) applications like yahoo messenger, facebook, google maps, etc etc, DO NOT work in the presence of a wi-fi connection.
    No? Well, perhaps its just me, but when I turn off the radio (i.e., turn off Mobile Network in Manage Connections) and am connected to wifi, all of these things work, including email. The only thing that doesn't work is, naturally, the phone and SMS.
    08-20-09 06:32 AM
    No? Well, perhaps its just me, but when I turn off the radio (i.e., turn off Mobile Network in Manage Connections) and am connected to wifi, all of these things work, including email. The only thing that doesn't work is, naturally, the phone and SMS.
    and they Do Not work when Mobile Network is turned on?
    08-20-09 12:17 PM
    YOu cannot BBM over WiFi. Your PIN goes through a BlackBerry Network, either BIS, or BES. If none are available, you cannot use BBM. Thats why its effectively free

If all else, BeeJive, and IM+ can work on WiFi
    False. I canceled my data plan over the summer as I am in Brazil and using WiFi I can still BBM without a problem. As JasW said, everything works other than of course phone and SMS.

From experience Facebook, BeejiveIM, TIME Mobile, WeatherEye, BlackBerry App World, YouMail, Bloomberg Mobile, Pandora, Poynt, Google Maps, Vision for YouTube, Slacker Radio, Viigo, CBS News, AP News, Opera Mini and Bolt all work on WiFi without a date plan. However I would assume there are some programs that don't.

I am unsure if any of these programs would work if I had not signed up for a data plan when I first purchased the phone, but worst case pay the 30 bucks your first month, then if you will have constant access to WiFi, cancel it the next.
    Last edited by msteadman; 08-20-09 at 02:31 PM.
    08-20-09 02:28 PM
    False. I canceled my data plan over the summer as I am in Brazil and using WiFi I can still BBM without a problem. As JasW said, everything works other than of course phone and SMS.

From experience Facebook, BeejiveIM, TIME Mobile, WeatherEye, BlackBerry App World, YouMail, Bloomberg Mobile, Pandora, Poynt, Google Maps, Vision for YouTube, Slacker Radio, Viigo, CBS News, AP News, Opera Mini and Bolt all work on WiFi. However I would assume there are some programs that don't.
    Bad information here.

No Blackberry data plan = no PIN and no PIN means no BBM

I'm sorry but you are grossly mistaken or intentionally giving bad information.
    08-20-09 02:31 PM
    Do you think maybe the pin just needs to be activated once through BB network and can then work indefinitely?

08-20-09 02:32 PM
    if I cancel my data plan, i can't bbm on wifi?
    You can't BBM because you no longer have access to RIM servers which provide you with all blackberry services like push email, PIN messages, BBM, Blackberry browser ect...
    08-20-09 02:33 PM
    Do you think maybe the pin just needs to be activated once through BB network and can then work indefinitely?

That's a big fat NO. Your PIN is only active while you maintain a data plan, there's no other way around it. A data plan is what keeps you on the Blackberry network.
    08-20-09 02:35 PM
    Bad information here.

No Blackberry data plan = no PIN and no PIN means no BBM

I'm sorry but you are grossly mistaken or intentionally giving bad information.
    Hence why I used the keyword "canceled" and added that last bit to clarify.
    08-20-09 02:37 PM
    That's a big fat NO. Your PIN is only active while you maintain a data plan, there's no other way around it. A data plan is what keeps you on the Blackberry network.
    Well in that case perhaps I am just lucky, but my data plan has been canceled since May yet using WiFi I am able to BBM, receive/send email, use the browser, etc. without an issue.
    08-20-09 02:39 PM
    Well in that case perhaps I am just lucky, but my data plan has been canceled since May yet using WiFi I am able to BBM, receive/send email, use the browser, etc. without an issue.
    yeah sure and i have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
    08-20-09 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD