I was selling my blackberry to a dude on craigslist and he ran off with my phone and my roommates. We already filed a police report but if I call att and get my insurance claim from them what does att do with the old phone? is it still usable?

also, my sim card was out since i was selling it. if i get a new phone i want to keep my number, this is possible, right?
    08-04-09 05:55 PM
    I was selling my blackberry to a dude on craigslist and he ran off with my phone and my roommates. We already filed a police report but if I call att and get my insurance claim from them what does att do with the old phone? is it still usable?

also, my sim card was out since i was selling it. if i get a new phone i want to keep my number, this is possible, right?
    If your sim card was removed then that is fine and you won't have to cancel it. However, the phone is still perfectly useable...All that thief has to do is unlock it and put in his own sim and he can use it.

If you call up ATT and RIM you can get your PIN blocked so that the thief is not able to access BB-specific things such as BBM, Blackberry Internet Service etc... however he can still use it to make calls and whatnot.

Basically that phone will become useless for most owners because they cannot use any thing that makes it a blackberry anymore.

One question, how did the guy just run off with your phone?
    08-04-09 06:02 PM
    i was selling it to a guy on craigslist and he was checking the phone out. he said he forgot the cash in his car and when i said give me the phone back he ran with it.

im 5'1" and a little girl, i was not about to chase after some huge black guy. so instead i took a picture with my iphone of his license plate and called 911.
    08-04-09 06:07 PM
    i was selling it to a guy on craigslist and he was checking the phone out. he said he forgot the cash in his car and when i said give me the phone back he ran with it.

im 5'1" and a little girl, i was not about to chase after some huge black guy. so instead i took a picture with my iphone of his license plate and called 911.
    I meant no offense... I was just curious because I haven't dealt with craigslist yet and I always wondered about how transactions happen.

I'm sorry that happened. But please follow the advice in the first post. Most likely you won't get your original phone back and you should take all the necessary steps to prevent this thief from using it or reselling it. Have the pin blocked for sure.
    08-04-09 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD