I am facing a decision, and was wondering if I could get some others' opinions. I am looking to go back to a BlackBerry from my G1, as the lack of push email and computer interface (Desktop Manager) are bothering me. My question is this: should I get an 8900 right now, or should I wait for the Driftwood to come out? BGR said the driftwood will be released in September, but I'm not sure whether to trust that or not. Anyone have an opinion?
    06-17-09 03:14 AM
    Get an 8900 for now. Sell it when the driftwood comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 09:13 AM
    Yeah definitely get the 8900 now.. Even though BGR says September, we all know it will be later..
    06-17-09 10:47 AM
    agreed...

PS i hate this min length to be able to post
    06-17-09 12:04 PM
    September? No way, not happening. Should see these by the end of the year but not in Sept.
    06-17-09 12:33 PM
    September? No way, not happening. Should see these by the end of the year but not in Sept.
    Thanks for the update Crucial. I'm curious as to why it could not be ready by September. I could see the delays with the Bold due to new 3G technology and getting that tweaked properly. Kevin mentioned that the production date was pushed back. Why would that be since it does not seem like there is anything drastically new here? When I first read Kevin's remark about the pushback I immediately thought about RIM making sure the trackpad works correctly but then he stated that there will be no trackpad, just the same trackball. Is the pushback due to simply wanting to stagger releases of phones or are there some surprises in store for us with this phone that still need to be worked out?! Granted, I am ignorant when it comes to decisions as to when phones are released so your input is appreciated. I can't wait to get this phone!!
    06-17-09 01:08 PM
    We all cant wait to get the Onyx . Its THE blackberry
    Last edited by Donatula; 06-17-09 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
    06-17-09 01:55 PM
    Thanks everybody!
    06-17-09 02:29 PM
    When I upgraded my phone, I was speaking to customer retentions from Rogers and I asked here about upcoming Blackberries etc... And she said that I shouldn't be waiting for a 2009 release anytime soon. She mentioned that they usually know about 5-6 months in advance if a new blackberry is going to be available for sale.

So I'm pegging the Onyx at a Q1-Q2 2010 release... We still haven't received any official word from RIM, the fact that the pre-release models have incorporated a trackball when it should be a trackpad etc... I'm guessing it will be out near feb. 2010 for Rogers at least.
    06-21-09 05:52 AM
    I'm holding off on my AT&T upgrade just for this. It will be a nice Christmas present to myself.
    06-21-09 07:18 AM
    Whose relatives work in RIM?
    perhaps they can tell us more details.
    06-21-09 08:59 AM
    The OP is talking Driftwood. While rumors state that it's a close relative to the Onyx, there could be some solid differences. First, it will be the first released TMO 3G Berry. I don't know if there were any issues getting the UNreleased TMO Bolds to work on the AWS network, but that could have played a part. Second, If the Onyx and Driftwood are the same phone for ATT and TMO, there might be an exclusivity period between the two releases. With TMO having first dibs on the 8900, expect the Onyx first (ATT). Since CX has said sept is out, look for a Black Friday release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 11:02 AM
    I'm holding off on my AT&T upgrade just for this. It will be a nice Christmas present to myself.
    **** yes.
    06-21-09 02:34 PM
    +1, this will be a great gift. as for now im happy with my BOLD (which is 1 week old today, btw brought it off some guy on craigslist nyc for 150 brand new & completely sealed.)
    06-21-09 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD