Hi All,

You will have to excuse me and all my newbie questions.

I will be purchasing a BlackBerry Bold 9700 this week and want to figure out if i can do what i want to do on it.

My current plan isn't due to expire until the end of the year, regardless, I will buy the 9700 now. Once my contract is up I have all intention of signing my 9700 up to a BIS plan on my local provider. But, until then i want to use the phone and familiarize myself with its features etc. So i plan on chucking a cheap prepay sim card in it and having a bit of a play (will most likely have a small data add-on, like 200mb). The question is:

Can I use native BB apps over wifi? e.g. Browser, Facebook, Twitter?

Can I use a 3rd party email client over wifi such as Gmail?

Also, is it possible to use 3rd party messaging apps over wifi or 3G data such as WhatsApp, Viber etc??

Thanks
    06-28-11 08:15 PM
    Hello,
    Welcome to the bb community. This is a great website. I hope you don't mind me saying this but if your plan does not expire until the end of the year, the next generation of blackberries is coming out in 6 weeks or less (hopefully) and I love my current blackberry but as soon as they are available I will snap one up. Here are the differences: the processor will be 1.2Ghz (2x faster than my Torch), the camera will be able to run 720HD video, the screen resolution is 50% better, it has more RAM and 8gb of onboard storage (expandable vs. 4 Torch). It will also be able to do NFC (near field communications stuff), the keyboard is 6% bigger and the screen is also bigger.
    However, to answer your question,
    1. all data (transfer on OS6 at least) will automatically go over wi-fi you approve. No data charge.
    2. you will never have to worry about any e-mail with bb. They push it through their servers. Secure, they never read your mail with an algorithm, and super fast. The fastest!
    3. As for messaging, if you are not using BBM, (always free and with awesome configuration options) you may have to pay your carrier.
    I'm no expert but I hope this helps you a bit.
    Regards,
    Guerllamo7
    06-28-11 08:51 PM
    Hmm, I didn't know Viber was available for the Berry. :/

Anywhoo, I can consider myself a new Berry user as well. Slapped 180 bucks for a new Javelin 8900 and it's been a gem despite some on and off hiccups. Yes, you'll need a plan to activate those RIM's native apps. Once done, you'll be able to run them over wi-fi, no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD