Sorry if this has been somewhere but since the PTT will be available for the 9630 on verizon 3/30 doesn't that mean that the new OS should be available that day or very soon? And if that's the case shouldn't the new
    tour2/essex/bold/mythicberry be not too far behind??
    03-20-10 09:40 PM
    I think the new OS will probably come same day. I don't know much about their process but that's what I think is going to happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 09:56 PM
    How exciting! not

03-20-10 10:31 PM
    The OS WILL be released on the same day. The Verizon announcement says so itself.... it says "Beginning March 30, 2010 the PTT application will be available for the Blackberry Tour with a software upgrade." Notice it says "WITH A SOFTWARE UPGRADE." Just a little hint that 5.0 will drop the same day.
    03-21-10 10:10 AM
    I hope you guys are right about 5.x being released on the 30th, but given Verizon's history, I sure have my doubts.
    03-21-10 10:35 AM
    The OS WILL be released on the same day. The Verizon announcement says so itself.... it says "Beginning March 30, 2010 the PTT application will be available for the Blackberry Tour with a software upgrade." Notice it says "WITH A SOFTWARE UPGRADE." Just a little hint that 5.0 will drop the same day.
    Definitely so
    03-21-10 10:44 AM

That could also just be referring to the software that you need for the PTT feature. Doesn't necessarily mean OS update. There probably be an OS update but that little statement isn't enough to know for sure I think.
    03-21-10 10:49 AM
    That could also just be referring to the software that you need for the PTT feature. Doesn't necessarily mean OS update. There probably be an OS update but that little statement isn't enough to know for sure I think.
    I don't see how PTT capability could be provided without an OS update.
    03-21-10 10:56 AM
    I don't see how PTT capability could be provided without an OS update.
    Isn't it just going to be a download from the app center? or their website?
    03-21-10 11:12 AM
    Isn't it just going to be a download from the app center? or their website?
    If it was going to be a downloadable app, I doubt if it would be limited to just the Tour.
    03-21-10 11:21 AM
    I would think all newer BBs would have this PTT capability. How else would VZW make their all mighty $$$?

03-21-10 11:30 AM
    The way I see it, the last few OS leaks included PTT files, so it seems like those files will be needed to run PTT and not just a downloadable app. And if that is so, then there will be an OS update to go along with the PTT launch. We will see!
    03-21-10 01:07 PM
    any chance sprint will rethink their ptt and offer it for their blackberries too?
    03-21-10 06:50 PM
    I doubt it. Sprint stopped making their qchat handsets.

03-21-10 06:58 PM
    i figure you can't have PTT without a new software update so hopefully the announcement of 3/30 means that will be an OS update. If that is the case, does that mean the new BB (whatever name it be) will be soon to follow. According to Sal it would be out after verizon pushed the new OS update for the 9630....or has all that logic gone out the door like everything else
    03-21-10 08:54 PM
    I would think all newer BBs would have this PTT capability. How else would VZW make their all mighty $$$?

verizon is got a getting every penny, out of the customers. but you get what you pay for.
    03-21-10 09:23 PM
    I doubt it. Sprint stopped making their qchat handsets.

even ready link would be fine with me... hoping that would change. ptt is awesome but nextel sux for the most part.
    03-21-10 09:47 PM
    any chance sprint will rethink their ptt and offer it for their blackberries too?
    Ahem..What do you think the 8350i is? Yep..THE PTT Blackberry and the redheaded stepchildren of the BB world. No OS 5.0 update yet and its been out for 15 months, but they say ones in the works and release anyday now....Right!... My heavy equipment company did the Nextel/Sprint vs. Verizon PTT Showdown a couple years ago. In the construction world Nextel/Sprint won hands down with ease of function and reliability and service for PTT. But if your just chatting with your girlfriend while shopping and asking her what size tampons, then Verizon might not be so bad for you. YMMV
    03-21-10 10:06 PM
    >>But if your just chatting with your girlfriend while shopping and asking her what size tampons, then Verizon might not be so bad for you.<<

Speaking from experience, I'd be handling that via text.
    03-21-10 10:18 PM
    Sprint wont put PTT on their blackberries for the CDMA side... and lol @ chatting with your girlfriend while shopping for her tampons
    03-22-10 02:47 PM
    But if your just chatting with your girlfriend while shopping and asking her what size tampons, then Verizon might not be so bad for you. YMMV
    I can hear the whip cracking all the way over here.

It doesn't seem likely that Sprint will add PTT to CDMA devices. Been there, done that, and dumped it when they bought Nextel. iDEN is well proven in the industries it's used. If Sprint really wanted to push PTT on BB devices, they'd get with BB to start adding iDEN to more BB's.

It'd be cool to see BB add a ROIP PTT feature to BB messenger, without it being carrier specific.
    03-25-10 03:27 PM
    ok well thanks for everyone's input. i was hoping somone had some concrete info. To be determined in the future i guess when it actually happens. However, i do think sprint will bring back the ready link/qchat feature to it's cdma handsets in the future especially if other carriers are having success with it. i think it would be an extremely convenient feature to use.

Ahem..What do you think the 8350i is?
    thanks for the reminder but i'm referring to sprint, not nextel... same parent company but 2 different networks. If i wanted to use a network where cellphones are the size of bricks with very limited coverage and phone selection than i would have my answer in the bb i8350 and nextel (not trying to bash nextel here, as nextel is purely for business for the most part).

I'm suprised that at this point, sprint hasn't released phones that are both cdma and iden equipped so that it can take advantage of sprint's network and the best ptt service from nextel ? stop me if i'm wrong but that would be a great phone/idea.
    03-25-10 03:46 PM
    i figure you can't have PTT without a new software update so hopefully the announcement of 3/30 means that will be an OS update. If that is the case, does that mean the new BB (whatever name it be) will be soon to follow. According to Sal it would be out after verizon pushed the new OS update for the 9630....or has all that logic gone out the door like everything else
    Oh, I think that logic has been blown to smithereens by that pistol Sal sometimes has in his profile pic Seriously though, the original delay for the 9650 was thought to be problems with OS 5.0 for either the original Tour, the Essex, or both. But since it appears RIM and/or Verizon decided to recall it for an unknown number of hardware/software tweaks and release it later under a new name, I'd say all bets are off with respect to OS 5.0 for the 9630 and release of the 9650. Unfortunately
    03-25-10 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD