Hey all,

Just got the Bold 9900 yesterday after a switch from an iPhone. The first think I did when I bought a touchscreen phone was buy protection. The guy at the store recommended iShieldz. After attempting to put it on last night - which failed due to excessive curling of the sides - I now have white streaks all over my screen and the touch function of the screen is all screwed. Attached is a video that shows what I'm talking about. I'm heading to the store now to see if I can get this all fixed up.

Updates to follow
    08-16-11 09:00 AM
    It looks like when you removed the screen protector, it pulled a portion of the screen off. Your best bet is to exchange it from your purchasor. TO BE HONEST you don't need expensive screen protectors, the cheaper ones are usually better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 09:22 AM
    To be honest, you don't need to smear goo on your screen.
    08-16-11 09:25 AM
    It's the application fluid, you've gotten it under your digitizer and into the LCD screen. I had the same thing happen to my 9800, the water damage indicator was tripped so warranty didn't work (it actually turned white again a week later) and I replaced the screen myself before figuring out what had happened, so didn't think to contact iShieldz.

I talked to the person who sold me the phone to give them a heads up (who is the manager at the Rogers store) and she stated that she had expressed her concerns to iShieldz about spraying fluid onto a screen - iShield's response was that they had never had an issue and the fluid was 100% safe. Obviously it isn't. You're in a tough spot as Rogers might charge you for the phone if they decide it is water damage, and I'm not convinced iShieldz will do the right thing and pay for your damage.

EDIT: I did use quite a bit of application fluid, having previously worked at a sign shop, however it was still only 25% of the total amount provided in their rather large and misleading bottle.
    Last edited by Canada Panda; 08-16-11 at 09:40 AM.
    08-16-11 09:35 AM
    UPDATE

The touch screen is back and working without spazzing out. The phone dealer said that he has yet to see this kind of reaction with iShieldz and recommends contacting them. He said the solution somehow probably worked it's was in between the two screens (one for the sensor? one for the display?) and that's whats causing the shadowing. On their website, iShieldz says:

"What if the solution gets inside my device? The iShieldz Solution is proprietary, developed by an ISO Certified laboratory, contains no water and evaporates at 1000 parts per second, unlike other products on the market. If our solution does get inside your device DON'T PANIC, it will evaporate and will not cause damage to electronic components. Depending on the amount of solution that seeped into the device, dry time could be anywhere between a half hour to one day."

So by 2230 tonight, I should be back to normal right? We'll see.
    08-16-11 09:38 AM
    I've installed similar type protectors (XtremeGuard) and they only say to use water with a drop of dish soap). did it on my 9800 with no problems.
    08-16-11 09:40 AM
    UPDATE

The touch screen is back and working without spazzing out. The phone dealer said that he has yet to see this kind of reaction with iShieldz and recommends contacting them. He said the solution somehow probably worked it's was in between the two screens (one for the sensor? one for the display?) and that's whats causing the shadowing. On their website, iShieldz says:

"What if the solution gets inside my device? The iShieldz Solution is proprietary, developed by an ISO Certified laboratory, contains no water and evaporates at 1000 parts per second, unlike other products on the market. If our solution does get inside your device DON'T PANIC, it will evaporate and will not cause damage to electronic components. Depending on the amount of solution that seeped into the device, dry time could be anywhere between a half hour to one day."

So by 2230 tonight, I should be back to normal right? We'll see.
    Hopefully. Mine actually had the solution seep INTO the LCD, which meant it wouldn't dry due to a lack of contact with air. If you have ever opened an LCD before, there are a series of thin plastic sheets inside and this is where my solution was trapped. Waited a week and it showed no signs of clearing up.
    08-16-11 09:47 AM
    So you had to replace the screen yourself? Did you attempt to contact them at all? What did the replacement cost? Assuming this isn't covered on any warranty?
    08-16-11 09:55 AM
    Replacement screens are about 45.00 OEM from sites in Asia. Not too sure how much they are here yet.
    08-16-11 09:57 AM
    I paid $80 for a replacement screen for a 9800 Torch, I'm not sure what it would cost for a 9900 as it has a higher pixel density but is smaller.

I only contacted Rogers through my local store, they said they could try to send it through but it would likely be rejected at the repair shop for water damage, at which point I would either get it back or pay full retail for a new phone. Instead of waiting to sort that out, I just replaced the screen myself. Only later did I make the connection to the iShieldz fluid but I had already replaced the screen so didn't bother contacting them, I just gave a heads up to my Rogers store about their product.
    08-16-11 10:15 AM
    08-16-11 10:22 AM
    Just get the TruProtection one ... The anti-glare one is amazing and does not affect the touch screen...

Anti-Glare Film Set - Blackberry - Shop
    08-16-11 11:00 AM
    Once I figured this out, I will probably get the TrueProtection or anything doesn't involve you spraying liquid onto your phone. Anyone know where to go to get a new LCD put on the phone?
    08-16-11 11:36 AM
    Just get the TruProtection one ... The anti-glare one is amazing and does not affect the touch screen...

Anti-Glare Film Set - Blackberry - Shop
    That seems like the only ones available in stores. I'm a bit impatient and would rather not wait until Ghost Armor releases it's 9900-version. Do you think that the TruProtection product is comparable/high-end? Or should I just stick it out and hopefully the G.A. is as good as people have testified to in the past?
    08-16-11 12:00 PM
    k first off

1 did you wait a couple hours before using the phone after installing? its recommended you do it before you go to bed and leave the battery out and let it try over night

2. i have never seen this is any of my isheildz... used 2 on the torch, now my atrix and have one that is going to be installed tonight onto the 9900...
    08-16-11 03:43 PM
    I guess I'm kind of old school or stupid I guess but I've never used a screen protector ever...lol
    08-16-11 03:48 PM
    i use them... even tho the screen is glass... i dont like to risk it... its easier to install a cheap screen protector then to replace a glass screen because of a scratch in the middle
    08-16-11 05:56 PM
    UPDATE:

I still have a shadowed area on my screen in the top left hand corner and it will still sporadically do the touch screen tapping (as seen in the video). It has been roughly 3 weeks since attempted installation.

AFter a couple weeks of emails and phone calls, they are taking my Bold back to either fix or replace it. They haven't informed me of the process involved or how long it will take but at least they are taking care of the problem.

The good news as well is that the store that I bought the phone at will continue with my extended warranty no problem whether it is fixed or replaced.

I'll give my final thoughts once I get the phone back (should be shipping it off tomorrow). Overall the experience so far with iShieldz has been a 7/10. They were polite and professional but I had to keep ontop with emails and phone calls.

Anyone know of a good short term replacement phone for cheap? Lol
    09-07-11 12:39 PM
    That seems like the only ones available in stores. I'm a bit impatient and would rather not wait until Ghost Armor releases it's 9900-version. Do you think that the TruProtection product is comparable/high-end? Or should I just stick it out and hopefully the G.A. is as good as people have testified to in the past?
    I have Tru's anti-glare, there protection is solid. I have no worries about that (it also comes with 2 in a pack, so if one happens to scracth you have a backup to replace it out with). What i'm not into is that it really dulls out the screen. I've lost all the sharpness that I was impressed by when I 1st got the phone.

I ended up ordering the Carivue Ultra-Clear. We'll see how that goes.
    09-08-11 10:40 AM
    i just bought a translucent screen today. hope to get it next week
    09-08-11 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD