bought a Toshiba 16gb sdhc class2 memory card. Transferred a lot of music on it by connection the Bold to the PC via USB; download went pretty fast (40 min. for 14gb).

When I try to access the songs via the Music mediaplayer, I do see a lot of the Artists/Albums, but NOT all of them. On the bottom of the screen it does display 'scanning' continuously, which dramaitcally slows down the device; and it just remains in this 'status' (several hours so far), nothign changes to the list fo Artists that it shows...

Is this a start-up issue, that will stop after a while, when it has finished going through all the files on the memory card?
    08-14-09 09:43 AM
    It will scan, and will take a while, but not hours.
    08-14-09 09:44 AM
    I kno the class 2 memory card is pretty slow, btu as it is for music it shouldn't really matter.

I'll leave it on and see what it does; may be by this evening it might stop 'scanning'. Strange thing is that i don't see any changes to the list of Artists/Albums it shows (although I migth not ntoice them becasue it is a very large list...)
    08-14-09 09:53 AM
    Maybe reformat and try again. It shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to scan, and really closer to 5 minutes.
    08-14-09 10:07 AM
    I transferred about the same amount of music all at once onto my 16GB card and it did take a remarkably long time to scan. Also, because of a bug with the bbthumbs.dat files, which provide the artist, album, and song info for each artist, I had to scan (by restarting) more than once. That was the only way all of the artists/albums showed up.

To top it all off, if you are using .282, it essentially quintuples the normal scan time for some reason. In other words, every time one does a restart or disconnects a USB connection to the computer, the Bold scans the media card. With a 16GB card close to full, this used to take about 5 minutes. On .282, it takes close to a half an hour.

I should also note that there is no harm in restarting while the card is being scanned.
    08-14-09 10:37 AM
    After a couple of hours the Bold did stop scanning and looks like it now recognizes all the muisc files; everything works perfect.

Out of curiosity, I removed the memory card again; all the music files remain visible in the music player, but of course it won't play any of them. Put the memory card back in; the Bold wiped the list of Artists/Albums and started scanning again, slowing everything down. I do get the impression that it 'build up' the list of Artists much faster now. I'll see how long it takes this time to end the scanning process.

If it only has this slow scanning issue whern the card is removed (may be also when extra files are copied on to the memory card, by USB transferring to the BOLD?) it's not too bad; I probably won't touch the memory card anymore until the Bold goes out...!

Thx for your input gentlemen!
    08-15-09 12:16 AM
    What OS are you running? This can be an unexplained problem some older OS - I have had it and I know it is very frustrating and not nec a matter of DRM, formatting issues or tagging as some members preach like a broken record. Basically all the music that used to be missing started turning up when I upgraded my OS about 6 months ago so try that if you haven't already

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 01:18 AM
    OS is v4.6.0.162; when I check upgrade, it says it is up-to-date. When I get to upgrade in the future, I will definitely cjeck again if it changes anything to this issue.
    08-15-09 11:38 PM
    class 2 is a very slow card. also 4.6.0.162 is a VERY VERY old OS. It might be up to date with your carrier but it's DEFINITELY not up to date. The lasest official OS is 4.6.0.282 and even that is 2 months old
    08-16-09 06:40 AM
    class 2 is a very slow card. also 4.6.0.162 is a VERY VERY old OS. It might be up to date with your carrier but it's DEFINITELY not up to date. The lasest official OS is 4.6.0.282 and even that is 2 months old
    Class 2 has nothing to do with it, the phone only reads at Class 2 speeds. And 282 is slow at scanning media. 247 or 266 would be better.
    08-16-09 07:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD