How do I configure the bold to prevent the display from fading to black after about 20 seconds of inactivity? I've tried changing the "Backlight Timeout" to the max and also setting "Automattically Dim Backlight" to off, but still after about 20 seconds of inactivity the display goes black.

This is extremely annoying, it renders applications like Nav4All completely useless for example.

Cheers,
    Steven
    06-30-09 10:18 PM
    For forcing the screen to be lit at my command, I love the free app, BilbyLight. Simple. Effective.
    06-30-09 11:03 PM
    OK, so I installed this, and when it's running the screen still fades to black as before, but some time, 5-10s later it suddenly re-illuminates. Better than before, but still not perfect.

Surely this can be done, how do people use GPS navigation apps otherwise?
    07-01-09 01:28 AM
    Sounds like it might be an issue with your phone. If auto dim backlight is off and you set the backlight timeout to 2 mins and have the backlight set to 100 seems like it's the phone. Also while using an app that is constantly updating like nav for example it should stay lit up while it is working. Try a battery pull and if that fails maybe a wipe and fresh OS install.
    07-01-09 01:42 AM
    OK, so I installed this, and when it's running the screen still fades to black as before, but some time, 5-10s later it suddenly re-illuminates. Better than before, but still not perfect.

Surely this can be done, how do people use GPS navigation apps otherwise?
    I use Google Maps for my GPS nav whenever I need to and it automatically detects that I'm moving and never dims the screen. Don't know what the deal is with Nav4All or whatever that other program is.
    07-01-09 02:11 AM
    Thanks for the comments.

I don't think it's a specific issue with my device, as a bunch of us all got them at the same time and everybody is complaining about this. Could still be a dodgy batch I guess, but it seems unlikely.

I've switched from Nav4All to AmAze and this seems to have resolved the issue for this application at least (strange that it should be an application level issue, rather than a phone settings capability, but there you go)

Anyway, AmAze seems a superior product to Nav4All, for my purposes, so I guess the immediate issue is resolved. I'm still surprised that there is not some general setting though, even with no apps running, on the home screen, I can't configure the device to not power down the display after a few moments, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Has this really not bothered anybody else before? It's driving me up the wall!
    07-01-09 02:22 AM
    If bilbylight doesn't work for you, something is up. Is the display dimming or does it go completely black? Perhaps you have 'automatically dim' turned on in your screen settings?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD