I recently upgraded my BB 9670 to the 9930. I just got my bill from Sprint and there is a $10 charge for the Premium Data package. I contacted Sprint and was told it was required for the data to work and in fact was required by BlackBerry. Is this correct or am I being screwed out of $10 a month.

I have been off contract for almost two years. I was not told of this charge nor was it authorized.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    01-01-14 09:48 AM
    Hi there, probably that is what they call their BlackBerry Internet Service which is required by BBOS devices to run optimally
    01-01-14 10:15 AM
    Sprint charges $10 extra on any contract that requires a data plan (premium data is actually just "data" since they have nothing but "premium data" on their menu). So unless you are going to go for a phone-texting only plan, they charge an extra $10 per month. It has nothing to do with using a BlackBerry device. They charge the same if you use Android, iPhone or Windows.
    01-01-14 12:22 PM
    My plan always included unlimited data. It was one of Sprint's unlimited everything plans. Now I am being told by Sprint that the change from my previous phone (BBOS 6) to my new phone (BBOS 7) is why the Premium Data plan is needed. My prior BB 9760 did not have the Premium Data plan and worked just fine. I just changed phones, not plans.

Something just doesn't feel right here. Sprint offers unlimited data at a set price and then charges a ten dollars service charge for the unlimited data that I am already paying for. It is ironic that Sprint CS cannot explain what is different about their "Premium Data" vs the regular data. It is all 3G and is not any faster nor do I get better coverage.
    01-01-14 12:38 PM
    I had that same plan for many years. Come to find out that when you switch phones on Sprint, you start out with a new plan no matter what. It may be that the plan you had with your 9760 does not exist anymore. They now charge an extra $10 for any data service. So if your plan is a $60 a month data plan, there is a $10 added fee without any real or legit reason. It's one of the craziest and most idiotic things that Sprint has done. I think they may have recently changed everything once again, dropping the $10 while raising the price of their plans. It's no wonder everyone leaves Sprint in droves. One of the worst companies when it comes to anything.
    01-01-14 01:00 PM
    I would agree with your description of Sprint. Since my phone is unlocked, I might check out prices at AT&T. T-mobile will have to wait since there is talk of a merger with Sprint.
    01-01-14 01:21 PM