Apparently my dad called sprint and they said that we (both my dad and I use the 9650) have to pay the extra premium data charge? is that so? I thought that was only for 4G phones?

any help would be appreciated
    07-29-11 02:44 PM
    What is the $10 Premium Data Add-on?
    -The Premium Data add-on is a way for Sprint to continue to provide smartphone users the value of unlimited pricing on the Sprint network while still giving them the data experience customers have come to expect.
    I thought this charge was just for 4G phones?
    -The $10 Premium Data add-on previously only applied to 3G/4G devices, but it was never simply a charge for 4G. The charge has always been to address the increased costs associated with operating smartphones on the Sprint network.
    If a BlackBerry customer already pays for the BIS/BES add-on, is the Premium Data add-on required, too?
    -Yes, BlackBerry subscribers also pay the Premium Data add-on whether buying BIS or BES level price plans.
    Did you just upgrade recently or did you barely notice that this was showing up on your bill?
    07-29-11 02:48 PM
    My dad and I both just got the phones recently. So does this mean yes, all 9650 users on sprint get charged the extra $10?
    07-29-11 02:53 PM
    My dad and I both just got the phones recently. So does this mean yes, all 9650 users on sprint get charged the extra $10?
    Yes. It does.
    07-29-11 02:56 PM
    jwang217 it is based on the phone that you use. Sprint got into trouble with clearwire (4g provider) who sued them because they were not paying them royalties off of the 4G towers. Sprint decided that anyone who uses a "smartphone" 3G or 4G capable would be charged the $10 fee. It is a smartphone data add on charge. If you had a "dumb" phone you would not be charged this add on.
    07-29-11 02:58 PM
    jwang217 it is based on the phone that you use. Sprint got into trouble with clearwire (4g provider) who sued them because they were not paying them royalties off of the 4G towers. Sprint decided that anyone who uses a "smartphone" 3G or 4G capable would be charged the $10 fee. It is a smartphone data add on charge. If you had a "dumb" phone you would not be charged this add on.
    This is not true because both my mother and I were using android phones with 3G and we were never charged the $10 extra. I'm ticked that nobody at sprint ever mentioned this to us...
    07-29-11 03:00 PM
    If you activated a smartphone before 1/30/11, you didn't have to pay the $10.
    Everyone who activated a smartphone after 1/30/11, is paying the $10 fee.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 07-29-11 at 03:08 PM.
    07-29-11 03:02 PM
    jwan217, the next time that your mother upgrades her phone or changes the plan she will be subject to this charge as well. If you were already in a contract prior to the addition of this charge; they will not charge you until you reup the contract or add a different phone to the line.
    07-29-11 03:03 PM
    I was never charged with it while using my android for the first 6 months of this year. Why is that?

Seriously all sprint 3G users out there: you're all paying an extra $10???
    california summed it up better than i did.
    jwang you have to have changed your phone after January 31st.
    07-29-11 03:04 PM
    jwang you have to have changed your phone after January 31st.
    yes i did. and if you are using you 9630 with 3G still does that mean u are also paying the extra $10? I appreciate you help guys. you have to understand my frustration here...
    07-29-11 03:06 PM
    you guys are correct. wow i feel like i've been living under a rock because i thought i knew about cell phone plans. was there not a huge protest/angry outburst by sprint customers? and ALL smartphones? wow...
    07-29-11 03:09 PM
    california hit it on the head. it's kinda like when sprint changed the plans and if you had one of the older plans you kept it until you upgraded your phone. Because you were"grandfathered" into that plan. Does it make sense to you jwang? We are trying our best to help ya...
    07-29-11 03:09 PM
    oh yea there was a big s h it fit thrown by a bunch of people. Search the Sprint thread and they are sprinkled in their like pepper on your mashed potatos.
    07-29-11 03:10 PM
    yea i understand what u guys are saying and i believe u. i'm just frustrated and i thought being grandfathered in meant that u get to keep your plan forever as long as u stayed with sprint... clearly i was very wrong. and though you guys are probably right, i will still give sprint a call and a piece of my mind however useless that might be
    07-29-11 03:11 PM
    also one more question. there are 3 ppl on my family plan. is this just a one $10 charge per month or is it an extra $30??
    07-29-11 03:12 PM
    depends on the plan that you are on. if my memory serves me right, any everything data plan is 29.99 for lines 3-5 on the plan. if you were on a everything messaging it would be 19.99 for 3-5 but BlackBerries require the data plan.
    07-29-11 03:14 PM
    so much bs...
    07-29-11 03:16 PM
    oh you meant the premium data charge.... yea that's on every line. It Blows i figure they could at least supply us with the complimentary lube for the anal raping we are taking. But they still are the cheapest carrier without going to prepaid.
    07-29-11 03:18 PM
    If a customer with a multi-line account adds a new smartphone, will the $10 Premium Data add-on be applied to all lines?
    - No, the charge would be added only to the line(s) with the smartphone.
    If you want to read more about it go here: What's there to know about the $10 Premium Data Add-on for Smartphones?
    07-29-11 03:18 PM
    i used to love sprint...
    07-29-11 03:21 PM
    california, why haven't the CB gods made you a mod yet?
    07-29-11 03:28 PM
    California, why haven't the CB gods made you a mod yet?
    LOL. Only in my dreams.
    07-29-11 03:38 PM
    I love the reps at the store who lie, claiming it's unlimited (not) data (not) your $10/month gets you bent over, and you still only get 5 gigs... then one other area says 1-2 gigs... 4G is supposedly unlimited data? (probably not)

which is it sprint?
    08-03-11 03:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD