So I have a Pre-production Blackberry Onyx. Don't ask how I got it, I just know people that know people.

Here are the few problems I ran into so far...

-the 3G for AT&T doesn't work. I can only get EDGE. I haven't tried any other carriers yet.
    -when plugged into the USB, the phone crashes and resets itself. I can plug into the wall charger fine.
    -battery lasts only about 12 hours.

Everything else works fine. the new bbm system is cool.

any blackberry guru's out there know how to fix the USB phone crashing thing get at me. I can give you more info about the phone if you need it.

Please leave any questions, comments, or suggestions as I try to get this thing working before it's out!

(I know, I know.. the reason it crashes is cause its not out yet... but I figured I'd post it.)
    07-07-09 11:01 AM
    Here's a question; can we see pics? Videos?
    07-07-09 11:07 AM
    The 3G is an issue where that band is disabled in pre-production units. It can be changed but not by any tools available right now. Also, your profile is a bit mystifying 8830 on AT&T? The USB issue is know but there are fixes if you got the phone a legit way.
    07-07-09 11:09 AM
    there's a lot of videos/pics out on the web. I can take pictures for you, but what exactly do you want to see? Or do you just need proof that I have it.. haha
    07-07-09 11:10 AM
    As Sith said, 3G is a problem you're not going to fix as you're not really supposed to have the device. The rebooting issue can be fixed with newer software. The sd card issue is hit and miss with some bundles but is later fixed in newer versions as well. Just enjoy the device. EDGE isn't too too bad.
    07-07-09 11:12 AM
    As Sith said, 3G is a problem you're not going to fix as you're not really supposed to have the device. The rebooting issue can be fixed with newer software. The sd card issue is hit and miss with some bundles but is later fixed in newer versions as well. Just enjoy the device. EDGE isn't too too bad.
    Device will be PIN blocked eventually as well.
    07-07-09 11:14 AM
    The 3G is an issue where that band is disabled in pre-production units. It can be changed but not by any tools available right now. Also, your profile is a bit mystifying 8830 on AT&T? The USB issue is know but there are fixes if you got the phone a legit way.
    oops - updated.. I meant 8820. I didn't get it in a legit way, so let's hope there's another way to fix it.
    07-07-09 11:14 AM
    oops - updated.. I meant 8820. I didn't get it in a legit way, so let's hope there's another way to fix it.
    You're not the only one in this boat. Others have them and can't use UMTS. There are units out there with UMTS enabled, but again, it's for people who are testing and who are supposed to have the device. You never know, something may come along that helps, but it's unlikely.
    07-07-09 11:17 AM
    yeah I can deal with the EDGE. but I can't even get it to connect the computer or blackberry desktop manager so I'm not sure how I would even get the software update. haha. I also tried the 5.0 desktop manager.. nothing.

but I am enjoying it.. its a sweet phone. the trackball is a little weird, but I'm starting to like it.
    07-07-09 11:18 AM
    Good luck buddy! I hope you can fix your phone!
    07-07-09 11:38 AM
    there's a lot of videos/pics out on the web. I can take pictures for you, but what exactly do you want to see? Or do you just need proof that I have it.. haha
    Well there ain't many Vids out there as far as I know (about 3 - 4 )
    07-07-09 11:51 AM
    yeah I can deal with the EDGE. but I can't even get it to connect the computer or blackberry desktop manager so I'm not sure how I would even get the software update. haha. I also tried the 5.0 desktop manager.. nothing.

but I am enjoying it.. its a sweet phone. the trackball is a little weird, but I'm starting to like it.
    Im presuming you're running 0.9 software ? That will display the USB symptoms you describe, I never got mine off of 0.9 to see if it got fixed but a few wise people have told me that newer builds fix that issue !

Also don't get too attached to the trackball, the new trackpad versions are coming soon
    07-07-09 07:22 PM
    Im presuming you're running 0.9 software ? That will display the USB symptoms you describe, I never got mine off of 0.9 to see if it got fixed but a few wise people have told me that newer builds fix that issue !

Also don't get too attached to the trackball, the new trackpad versions are coming soon
    The newest Onyx hardware actually has the Trackball back.
    07-07-09 08:06 PM
    I'm glad you said it and I totally agree! I've been saying this for weeks trackpad will not happen this year sorry!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/tr...9/#post2934998
    Last edited by Touchpro247; 07-07-09 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Posted link
    07-07-09 08:16 PM
    I'm glad you said it and I totally agree! I've been saying this for weeks trackpad will not happen this year sorry!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/tr...9/#post2934998
    Gemini will launch with Trackpad
    07-07-09 08:32 PM
    I stand plesantly corrected
    07-07-09 08:33 PM
    Yes it will, but not the ONYX.
    07-07-09 08:34 PM
    Keep in mind there is more than one hardware version being developed simultaneously.
    07-07-09 08:34 PM
    You are right about that hope it will launch with CDMA this year!
    07-07-09 08:38 PM
    You are right about that hope it will launch with CDMA this year!
    Next year sir
    07-08-09 07:38 AM

yes, I am running on the 0.9 software.. hopefully I'll find a way to get the newer build fix.
    07-08-09 08:04 AM
    Sooner or later something will pop up, its just a matter of when, sucks to have to wait though !
    07-09-09 02:07 PM
    Can you post pics? would be nice to see the new OS
    07-09-09 02:24 PM
    i haven't got a working phone buddy, im sure salo will oblige, maybe even some vids if we're lucky
    07-09-09 02:27 PM
    how does the BBM look with threaded SMS????
    07-09-09 02:34 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD