I could be way off base here but I have a cynical mind when stuff like this happens. Could it be that RIM has delayed the 9900 because they are having more difficulties with it and due to the hue & cry from a lot of us they have cobbled together the stuff that does work into a Bold 9790??

You know, to just pacify the masses .......
    07-22-11 11:51 AM
    Ya thats it, considering the phone is not delayed
    07-22-11 12:56 PM
    I don't think so. I do think the size of the 9700 and 8900 was very popular for many consumers so they might be offering something that fills that interest.
    07-22-11 01:06 PM
    They're just trying to appeal to the people who might not like the Torch form factor or the size of the 99xx series.
    07-23-11 12:28 PM
    I'm thinking it's more likely the same reason why they created the 8910, it's destined for Asia.
    07-23-11 04:43 PM
    Maybe they have a pile of 97xx housings and keyboards that they have to do something with.

I agree with K Bear. Probably headed to asia or one of their new and developing markets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-11 05:51 PM
    I think it's because of Apple...
    I am really not sure about it... well.. i am not a working in RIM..
    but it looks like apple want HTC, SAMSUNG, BLACKBERRY and LG to show their best phones to 2011 first... only then release their iPhone like its a very special and newer device that breaks the market..

The same as was with the iPhone 4 & started with the iPhone 3gs...
    Any way.. It looks like BlackBerry don't want it to happen...
    All the Asian makers are now considered as the best phones in the world:
    SAMSUNG Galaxy s II - 1st place in the world.
    HTC - with their new HTC SENSATION that is also a very powerful device with the latest technology..

Motorola are trying to bite RIM's *** with their DROID PRO that comes now to the market as a "solutions for blackberry" (Moto are ridiculous... )

Any way... RIM and APPLE are now waiting with their new phones.. those strings are related and when some side changes something the other side is also flowing.

I think that RIM will bring the 9900 when they have something that they build now "under the sleeve" ... so the point is that until 2012 starts it will be a new phone that used all over and has a breaking power on the market... iPhone will get a bite from former BB users, same about Android... i think iPhone will win because.. well.. most people are love those stupid toys..
    But the impotent thing is that RIM will have new devices when 2012 start after the iphone 5 will be used all over..

This is what is think is going on.. i know not everyone thinks that it's correct but this is my problem.
    07-24-11 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD