Please don't shoot the messenger, but it is looking as if there could be a delay in the release of unlocked SIM free Bolds in the U.K.

Major (expensive!) on-line reseller Expansys is not now expecting to receive stocks until Friday 19th September, although some other outlets appear to be slightly more hopeful.

Devicewire currently say 8th September, Totalpda - earlySeptember, and although Play.com's website still shows 4th September I have a nasty feeling this might change very shortly.

No one seems 100% sure yet whether or not Vodafone will release on Monday 1st, followed by O2 a week later, but I am sure a very large number of ears are being kept very close to the ground.

Please update only if you have any firm news though... we all want our Bolds ASAP!
    08-28-08 06:13 AM
    nope, voda def on target for 1st sept
    08-28-08 06:26 AM
    Does anyone know as a definite what the reasons for the delays are ?

Software or Hardware ?
    08-28-08 03:04 PM
    I spoke to a Vodafone agent a couple of days ago and he said they were getting the Bold on 3rd Sept!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 03:13 PM
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but O2 will not now launch the Bold until early October, due to issues on the network. Not sure exactly what the issues are , but will endeavour to find out over the next few days.
    Last edited by kjdaco; 08-28-08 at 04:01 PM.
    08-28-08 03:55 PM
    Thanks kjdaco... but this is not now sounding at all good. I wonder if it the same sort of thing which AT&T have been trying to sort out, or something completely different.

I was hoping to use O2 as my provider too!

Despite the assurances from Nick & gritmaster above I am now starting to have serious doubts as to whether or not the Bold will actually be released on Monday also.

This is all starting to get beyond a joke, I reckon, and although I am sure everything will be fine eventually, I can't help thinking that all these sort of problems should have been sorted out well before now... it has been in 'testing' for long enough surely!
    08-28-08 04:09 PM
    Its prob because o2 hasn't sold enough i-phones as yet being slightly cynical!

08-28-08 04:14 PM
    This is NOT good but is it confirmed?
    08-28-08 04:14 PM
    i genuinely think that the O2 delay is linked to the iphone!

and I have two good contacts at Voda who swear that all screens are showing go.
    08-28-08 04:24 PM
    Another slightly encouraging sign (for prospective Vodafone customers anyway) is that RIM have recently added Vodafone to their official 'Places to buy a Bold in the UK' list, which previously just included Orange, and then Carphone Warehouse.
    08-28-08 04:28 PM
    NOW.... I just popped out for a moment to have a look elsewhere and found something posted within the last hour. Apparently o2 will be holding launch events for the Bold in the UK starting on monday..... but that they were still finalizing the nuts and bolts of the product.
    08-28-08 04:31 PM
    I've just got off the phone to CS @ Misco and their system show's 16th September!!!

I've got an 8gb Memory Card, Screen Protector, Rubber Case, Hands Free Kit & Car Mount...

CAN I HAVE MY PHONE NOW!!!! LOL!!!

Oh well
    08-29-08 04:40 AM
    come to the darkside and join orange. loving my bold :P
    08-29-08 04:50 AM
    The delay until October on o2 was mentioned on the o2 customer forum something about a stocksheet listing.

Whether it was posted by an insider or another impatient potential Bold owner I don't know.

08-29-08 04:52 AM
    I think (hope!) that it is an 'old' date which they still have showing on their system, as they were definately hoping to receive supplies before than.

Mind you, the way things are going it doesn't look as if anyone in the uK (apart from Orange, who haven't had that many anyway) will be offering any Bolds in the immediate future!

Even Carphone Warehouse appear to have taken it off their website this morning, which doesn't bode at all well!
    08-29-08 05:03 AM
    C/W Site is odd, it says Bold now in stock but when you click on it all that comes up is Pearls & Curves no Bold.

The Bold has also been moved from the "coming soon" section into the "Just released" section but again when you click on it you only get the other BB devices. odd indeed !

The whole Bold release seems to be a bit of a shambles all over (although not sure if its a Rim or Carrier thing) Hope things get sorted for other BB devices.
    08-29-08 05:26 AM
    it's now showing as available at Voda
    08-29-08 05:36 AM
    GCSCOT, 'other devices' = Javelin?

I would not expect any issues with the launch of this device at all because it is kind of 'proven' 2.5g technology and unlikely to have any network issues.

08-29-08 05:41 AM
    it's now showing as available at Voda
    So it is... well spotted that man!

I haven't looked into all the various price plans yet, but the summary just says "From Free to �187.23".

Looks as if they are on for a 1st September launch after all!
    08-29-08 05:56 AM
    Going back to CPW, I think they must actually been updating their site this morning, as the Bold area now shows a selection of price palns as well.
    08-29-08 05:58 AM
    GCSCOT, 'other devices' = Javelin?

I would not expect any issues with the launch of this device at all because it is kind of 'proven' 2.5g technology and unlikely to have any network issues.

Ah so its the 3G ability thats causing the problems with carrier releases...so yeah the Javelin etc should be ok then.

Stupid question : if O2 are currently selling the 3G iphone then that must be working ok ? so whats the problem with the 3G Bold then ?
    08-29-08 06:08 AM
    Not a stupid question at all, and one to which I would also love to know the answer.

Of course, as some synical people have already suggested, it couldn't be that O2 are still milking all the profit they can from the iPhone could it?... no, of course not!
    08-29-08 06:17 AM
    3G and OS problems I would say rather than 1 single issue.

The iphone certainly doesn't help!

BTW o2 are due to launch the pay and go iphone around the same time as the Javelin is rumoured to be released! Don't shoot me

08-29-08 06:23 AM
    Quite a few of the networks, not just in the UK, have reported problems with the Bold losing the 3G signal. Orange in the UK, are recommending that people update the firmware straight away to sort this issue out. So the problem appears to be firmware based rather than network.
    08-29-08 11:29 AM
    Have Orange themselves (or at least through their website) now issued an "official" OS firmware update to version 4.6.0.126... or higher?

I am sure there are still quite a few more to come though!
    08-29-08 12:07 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD