I've had battery issues for awhile now and am just theorizing as to possible causes...

For the first two years, my BB 9000 was fantastic. Battery life was great (with moderate to intense use). Ran OS 4.6.

After about two years, I began noticing significant decreases in battery life- from 1-2 days to 4-6 hours. Most noticeable: when the battery life dropped below 50%, the phone was quite prone to the "white screen of death".

I purchased a new battery. This helped somewhat, improving battery time to 6-8 hours and less frequent WSODs, but still not ideal.

Upgraded the OS to 5.0.0.1067. No noticeable improvement.

Checked and double checked to ensure that there are no apps causing battery drain. The only app that I run in the background (besides the proprietary apps) is UberSocial.

I do have Google Maps installed but I do NOT run it unless I absolutely need to find a location- which for me is fairly infrequently. I always exit out of it when I'm done. Also btw I do not use the Facebook app or any other social media app besides UberSocial.

I virtually never use wifi or BT and those are turned off. Also I live in a fairly metropolitan area and virtually always have strong 3G coverage so I doubt the battery is draining from searching for a signal.

I have done periodic battery pulls with no noticeable affect.

Tonight I plan to uninstall several rarely used apps and see if that helps. Meantime I would love any ideas/theories that any of you might be able to contribute!
    06-01-11 09:57 PM
    Strange issue I would have thought buying a new battery would have fixed (any chance you got a used one?) Now I'm curious to know what's going on too :S

Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 11:03 PM
    EXACT same problem here. Purchased TWO new batteries, to no avail. New batteries act normal for about 3 days. Did a factory reset, OS upgrade, deleted all apps not in use... It will last around 12 hour idle, or 4 hours normal call usage. One long call and she's gone.

My Storm is long in the tooth for a phone, at 2.5 years old now. Just tying to hold out for a new release... hopefully.

9530 on Verizon.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by MountainLion; 06-01-11 at 11:20 PM.
    06-01-11 11:17 PM
    MountainLion- I've continued researching this issue. Possibilities I've found from sorting through oodles of forum pages:
    1)Some chargers (i.e. car chargers) are "speed" chargers whereas the one that comes with the phone is a "trickle" charger. Speed chargers work but are harder on the battery than trickle chargers, and when used frequently, can shorten the battery's lifespan.
    2)In the same vein- fully draining the battery (into the red) is hard on the battery and shortens its lifespan. Obviously with the battery not lasting a full day, the battery is drained to red far more often than I'd like. Of course this is a downward cycle once I can't get a full day from the battery.
    3)It is possible that there can be some kind of short in the radio that's really hard on the battery life. Still trying to figure out the details of this one.

Let me know if you get any other ideas. I'm in the same boat as you- I just want it to last a few months longer so I can get the new release. Sigh.
    06-06-11 09:11 PM
    How is your battery life on the 9000 if you turn off 3G and use 2G (EDGE) only? The 9000 uses the same battery as the 9700, but when I used a 9000 I usually needed to turn off 3G to get the battery to last all day. The 9700 does not have that issue.

To the poster with the 9530, there is no option to switch from 3G to 2G, since those are GSM signals. You could try updating your PRL and switching from Global to 1XEV. This applies only to CDMA networks, so it is not applicable to 9000 users.
    06-06-11 09:17 PM
    lak611- I am going to try using the 2G and will let you know how it goes. Do you know if there is any kind of "shortcut" to switch it between 3G and 2G? 3G is still faster and is good when I'm out and happen to need to use the web browser, but there's no reason why I can't leave it on 2G the rest of the time. Surely that will at least help, even if it doesn't solve the problem completely!
    06-06-11 09:28 PM
    lak611- I am going to try using the 2G and will let you know how it goes. Do you know if there is any kind of "shortcut" to switch it between 3G and 2G? 3G is still faster and is good when I'm out and happen to need to use the web browser, but there's no reason why I can't leave it on 2G the rest of the time. Surely that will at least help, even if it doesn't solve the problem completely!
    That is what I did. I left 2G on except when I needed the browser or simultaneous voice/data when not using Wi-Fi.

I just used Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>Network Mode and changed from "3G & 2G" to "2G". If I wanted 3G, I used Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>Network Mode and changed from "2G" to "3G & 2G".

Some 3rd party themes will automatically open Manage Connections if you click on the signal icon. It is also possible to add "Manage Connections" as a QuickLaunch function if you have the QuickLaunch app, which I did when I used the 9000.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-06-11 at 10:59 PM.
    06-06-11 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD