Well, it seems my iPod is no longer reliable for the pool. Won't hold a charge, clickwheel acting funky, etc. So now my Bold has become my primary pool mp3 player. So now I have some issues/potential problems with this.

I want to protect my Bold from casual water. Was thinking along the lines of Otterbox for this. My Otterbox did a wonderful job for my iPod when it was working properly. Never got water, beach sand, tanning oil, etc on the iPod itself. Was thinking the OB for the Bold would do the same. Correct, or incorrect? I imagine soon if I don't protect it, I will be replacing a trackball or something due to tanning oil.

I want to protect my Bold from casual water. Yes, same point. This time, sweat, not water. Inevitably, I am covered by sweat/oil, listening to music and the phone rings. The screen gets covered in a sunscreen/sweat combo and scares the heck out of me. So I am thinking I might need a BT headset. I posted this in the Bluetooth forum but no one has answered it. I hate to cross-post really. I kind of had to this time.

Cliffs on that link: Need a stereo headset that is sweat proof/sweat resistant to the point it won't break. I've seen the S9 mentioned a lot but the reviews say I would break it rather quickly. I've seen the Jaybird JB200 mentioned a lot and think it would work for my use. The question is, are there any others to consider that might be sweat resistant? Or is the Jaybird the best/only one that will survive for me? And will it work with the Bold?
    06-23-09 08:36 AM
    I would seriously consider getting an old Razr and swapping sim cards while at the pool. An iPod is better sealed than a Blackberry.
    06-23-09 08:40 AM
    I would seriously consider getting an old Razr and swapping sim cards while at the pool. An iPod is better sealed than a Blackberry.
    I see the point in that suggestion. I guess I could do that with an old Pearl I have. The Pearl has a bad trackball and needs a battery cover as well.

The main reason I take the Bold to the pool is because I like access to email due to being a victim of the economy. The secondary reason is to listen to music. I tend to keep it in my bag most of the time. Right now it's pretty naked with only a Clarivue protector on it.
    06-23-09 08:54 AM
    If it were me, I wouldn't be bringing a Bold anywhere near a pool, even with an Otterbox protecting it. I wouldn't even bring my Pearl anywhere close to a pool. I don't care how well an electronic device is "protected", water will still find it's way in somehow.

Buying another iPod is a lot cheaper than having to buy another Bold!
    06-23-09 08:59 AM
    Buying another iPod is a lot cheaper than having to buy another Bold!
    AFAIK, the insurance covers water and is cheaper than an iPod.

It's not just the pool though. I'm not talking saturation. I'm talking about casual moisture. I have found that if I talk on the Bold for any amount of time, my face/ear gets hot enough to sweat on it. I had a scare when trying to put on the BSE enough to make me concerned about moisture intrusion just when talking on it. If I go with the case/BT option, at least I eliminate that.

The problem is finding that combo. OB makes good stuff if the iPod OB is any indication. The S9 looks cool but so many have said they broke after a few workouts. The Jaybird is highly reviewed. I just haven't seen any others that survive the workout/sweat thing.
    06-23-09 09:39 AM
    Thats a good question. So many people have minor water issues and it bricks their phones.

I used to be a supervisor in mostly military electronics manufacturing companies. There was a spray coating that was used on components and builds that were subjected to high humidity and minor water drops.

They'd take it in a spray room and give it a light coating. Was like rubber when dried. Switches still functioned, toggles toggled and lights worked. But it was water proofed or water resistant, not proofed.

Im surprised no ones come up with this for phones. A light spray that wont affect key function or electronics. It's out there, but perhaps its not something just anyone should do. It takes some skill to coat a unit properly.

Interesting....im gonna have to get started on my "Blackberry Water Proofing" company! lol.

EDIT! Here you go..im sure there are more....Golden Shellback | Splash Proof Coatings
    Last edited by berryfit; 06-23-09 at 09:50 AM.
    06-23-09 09:47 AM
    Maybe a sealed baggie with some of these and a BT headset?

You can still manipulate the controls through the baggie, and you can get those desiccant packets anywhere for free.

I know it would look nasty, but would keep everything away from the device for cheap.
    06-23-09 09:50 AM
    Otterbox for life...

I bring my Bold to the pool...keep the BT headset nearby..if a call comes in, I'm good to go.. if I get a text, I dry my hands and reply... so far so good *knock on wood*

As far as the Gym goes, I take the case off and just pop the bugger into my pocket... I don't sweat THROUGH my shorts so I'm good...and the casual moisture stuff doesn't scare me much, I take mine into the bathroom while showering as an mp3 player connected to speakers.... works like a charm
    06-23-09 09:52 AM
    Come to think of it, Innocase makes the Innocase 360 which covers the entire device, including the screen and keyboard.

That should probably be good if you're looking to prevent simple splashes from killing it or just water droplets, but Im not sure. I know the case is thin so it's not too bulky. I have the original Innocase which is always on my phone and doesnt bulk it up.
    06-23-09 10:27 AM
    The S9 is a bad idea if you sweat when you work out - I would be more worried about that then breaking it. I got the S9 for Christmas and 2 weeks later my sweat had ruined the controls - it would forward, pause or even dial out of the blue.

I bought a new one when the upgraded version came out and it wasn't any better!
    06-23-09 08:48 PM
    Come to think of it, Innocase makes the Innocase 360 which covers the entire device, including the screen and keyboard.
    Hmmm, hadn't thought of that one. I should have a look at it.
    The S9 is a bad idea if you sweat when you work out ...I got the S9 for Christmas and 2 weeks later my sweat had ruined the controls - it would forward, pause or even dial out of the blue.

I bought a new one when the upgraded version came out and it wasn't any better!
    That's what I have read about the S9. When I hit the gym, my shirts are usually soaked. The same goes for being outdoors when it's hot. When I said break it I meant sweat gets in it and it no longer works properly. I'd rather spend $120 once than $44 3 times.
    Otterbox for life...

I bring my Bold to the pool...keep the BT headset nearby..if a call comes in, I'm good to go.. if I get a text, I dry my hands and reply... so far so good *knock on wood*

...the casual moisture stuff doesn't scare me much, I take mine into the bathroom while showering as an mp3 player connected to speakers.... works like a charm
    I saw a woman in the pool today and there she was in the shallow end texting on her Pearl. I don't do that silliness. Mine stays below the chair in my bag or in it's OEM case. I do use it for MP3's right now. I was thinking that a case + BT would make it safer to use it for MP3's because then I could put it in the water resistant pocket of my bag and still listen to music, take calls, and not have cords. Only reason I'd have to take it out is to text or email.

The amount of moisture I am looking to stay away from is akin to how much is used for the BSE or other skins. That is why I sometimes see on the screen after a call outside. I'm not talking dunk it in a drink, drop in the pool, sit on top of it with a wet suit. Just the amount that could jack the thing up if it got into the wrong spot.
    06-23-09 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD