hello, its been my second day now trying to upgrade on my own almost without asking help with any forums.. but i give up.
    im frustrated, i tried everything..
    first, im using a blackberry bold 9000 with v4.6
    im trying to make it version 5.00 something.

i downloaded it, installed it but it wont even appear on the application loader.
    then i try to use desktop manager as a way to upgrade.. i tried updating, it says there's no new version, so i clicked the "other versions" options in the bottom left of the small window, and there i can select the v5. OS that i downloaded but this message keeps on coming up

"This BlackBerry� Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry� solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry� service, please visit w w w blackberry com service"

so i got a data plan from my service provider, but that message still comes up.
    i have no idea what to do now.. please help.
    why is this so complicated?
    09-01-11 08:39 AM
    Well, the good thing is that it is showing up in Desktop Manager. First, I would suggest reading the articles under BlackBerry Help for full instructions on how to upgrade with Desktop Manager and Loader. Since it appears that Desktop Manager does not recognize that your device is registered, I would suggest a couple steps.
    1. Try making sure your device is registered with the BlackBerry network. In Options, go to Advanced Options and Host Routing Table. Hit the BlackBerry button (the button on your keyboard with the little dots) and select Register Now. Pull out the battery, wait about thirty seconds, put it back in. Once it is in, you should be registered with the network.
    2. Make sure you have set up email. In the set up application, go through the process of setting up an email account.
    3. If you cannot register your device or do not know how to set up email, contact your carrier for assistance. They should be able to get BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) up and running, and then you should be able to update the OS. Good luck!
    Frighty likes this.
    09-01-11 09:19 AM
    Well, the good thing is that it is showing up in Desktop Manager. First, I would suggest reading the articles under BlackBerry Help for full instructions on how to upgrade with Desktop Manager and Loader. Since it appears that Desktop Manager does not recognize that your device is registered, I would suggest a couple steps.
    1. Try making sure your device is registered with the BlackBerry network. In Options, go to Advanced Options and Host Routing Table. Hit the BlackBerry button (the button on your keyboard with the little dots) and select Register Now. Pull out the battery, wait about thirty seconds, put it back in. Once it is in, you should be registered with the network.
    2. Make sure you have set up email. In the set up application, go through the process of setting up an email account.
    3. If you cannot register your device or do not know how to set up email, contact your carrier for assistance. They should be able to get BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) up and running, and then you should be able to update the OS. Good luck!
    thank you so much miss laurah. i will try these steps and let you know what happens
    09-01-11 01:28 PM
    laurah you're such a life siver. thank you for the detailed instructions.
    i've not only upgraded my OS but i also am able to use browser now, email etc a lot of features. god thank you
    09-01-11 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD