Okay so when i installed my new keyboard and black bezel my left convenience button stopped working. Yesterday i was bored and browsing the web, went to gsm4world.com and thought to my self i need to change out my trackball to the 8900 one. I add that to my card and also new screws cuz i sorta broke one, and their cheap so why not. Anyways so then i found the mid-plate for 11 bucks.

Does CB think that buying a new mid-plate will solve me left convenience key not working?

Thanks in advanced!!
    06-04-09 12:06 AM
    have you attempted to diagnose why the key stopped working or just went ahead and ordered new parts. because theres no way for us to know if your problem will be solved, if you havent troubleshooted it in the first place.

if the chassis is defective or not installed properly, replacing it may help. if the problem lies with the button or hardware connecting it to the main board, then no it wont fix the issue.

it also may be software related. simple logic will yield you more answers than asking here IMO.
    06-04-09 01:22 AM
    I am not sure on how i should go about trouble shooting this. What i have done was taken the phone apart when i realized it stopped working.

The button itself clicks, but i havent tested to see why it just stopped working.

If its software related, what are some things i can do to check that?

In the engineering screen, do you know if there is a diagnose menu to have the bb run tests on it self to make sure everything is working correctly?
    06-04-09 02:22 AM
    go to options > status. type TEST.

click the BB menu button, select "start"

checkmark the first box labeled "Keyboard and Trackball" and scroll down to Run.

the screen will now tell you to push any key. it will output that keystroke on the screen. push your left convenience key and the screen should say "{convenience_2}". if it doesnt, then yes, the key is malfunctioning. close the testing menu.

you may want to try disassembling the phone again to see it the key is stuck or not sitting correctly, causing the main board not to register the keystroke.
    06-04-09 02:46 AM
    it would be very funny if you found out that your left convenience key stopped working because its set to no action. haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i would hope he wouldve checked that first.
    06-04-09 03:41 AM
    go to options > status. type TEST.

click the BB menu button, select "start"

checkmark the first box labeled "Keyboard and Trackball" and scroll down to Run.

the screen will now tell you to push any key. it will output that keystroke on the screen. push your left convenience key and the screen should say "{convenience_2}". if it doesnt, then yes, the key is malfunctioning. close the testing menu.

you may want to try disassembling the phone again to see it the key is stuck or not sitting correctly, causing the main board not to register the keystroke.
    Ran the Test, {convenience_2} did not show.. Will try and dissemble phone again. Any idea why it would not read it?
    06-04-09 04:15 AM
    it would be very funny if you found out that your left convenience key stopped working because its set to no action. haha

i would hope he wouldve checked that first.
    I made sure that the Left convenience key was set to sms, thats how i set it to begin with. Sucks but im sure i'll be able to fix it.
    06-04-09 04:16 AM
    ive never had the phone apart so i dont know what it looks like in there. i assume its like any other cell phone buttons that has a hard outer button with a soft rubbery touch button inside where it registers with the main board. just make sure the little rubber button isnt stuck or something.
    06-04-09 04:43 AM
    ive never had the phone apart so i dont know what it looks like in there. i assume its like any other cell phone buttons that has a hard outer button with a soft rubbery touch button inside where it registers with the main board. just make sure the little rubber button isnt stuck or something.
    What im going to try is take the phone apart, plug in the charger with the battery out and see if i can have it power up and test that button again.

thanks for your help so far dictoresno!!
    06-04-09 04:59 AM
    no problem. if the problem isnt something physical, you may need to try to reinstall the OS. if that doesnt help, live without the key working or try to get it exchanged if possible.
    06-04-09 05:05 AM
    Now a question about that. If I reinstall the OS will I be able to restore from a back up and have everything back to the way it was? As in contacts apps and bbm contacts?

06-04-09 05:23 AM
    yes, do a backup first. then reinstall the OS. when done, just reload the backup file and everything will be just as it is now.
    06-04-09 05:46 AM
    Awesomeness. Thanks will try when I get off work.

06-04-09 06:22 AM
    there are directions posted around here on the proper upgrading procedure which includes how to backup. but its pretty easy to do in DM.
    06-04-09 06:33 AM
    there are directions posted around here on the proper upgrading procedure which includes how to backup. but its pretty easy to do in DM.
    ah okay cool thanks!

Will update thread when all is completed.
    06-04-09 07:14 AM
    Check to make sure the button is in secure and aligned properly.

Reloading a OS is not a fix here. That's like reinstalling Windows when your "L" key stops working.

06-04-09 02:36 PM
    Check to make sure the button is in secure and aligned properly.

Reloading a OS is not a fix here. That's like reinstalling Windows when your "L" key stops working.

you never know, its possible this could be a software issue. but more than likely its a hardware one. he might as well try it to see what happens.
    06-04-09 04:18 PM
    Took apart the phone today and noticed that the contacts were not meeting with each other.

Tried to make the contacts touch and run the test but it doesnt seem to be working as it should.

Also broke another screw, gah!! I'm gonna need to find a way to take those out, when i ordered a new mid plate i made sure to get more screws.
    06-05-09 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD