Hi, new to Blackberry and this forum so please bear with me!

I've had the 9700 for about a month now without problems. However this morning the screen went black as I sent a text message and now it won't work. I've taken the battery out, when I put it back in the red light appears for a few seconds, then the Blackberry screen with the status bar - status gets about 66% of the way and then freezes. I've spoken to my service provider who say it is faulty and they will replace it tomorrow.

My question is, is there any way I can backup the information on the phone before it is replaced? I'm guessing probably not, and I'm kicking myself for not backing up since I had it.

Also, what exactly will I lose that's not stored on the SIM or memory card?

TIA x
    02-09-10 02:06 PM
    you can follow this to fix the phone http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry if you want
    02-09-10 02:08 PM
    Try and connect it to Desktop Manager and see if the computer recognizes your device. You wont lose anything on the memory card as long as you keep that same memory card. As for the sim any contacts that werent stored you will most likely lose. But if you arent able to back up the device you will lose all the apps you have downloaded except the ones that are pushed to the device by the carrier.
    02-09-10 02:13 PM
    Thanks, I'm giving it a try now!
    02-09-10 02:24 PM
    All of your contacts are kept on the phone and not the SIM card so it is worth trying to get it back up for a backup
    02-09-10 02:30 PM
    Managed to get the phone working again, by following noaim's link, as the Desktop manager wouldn't recognise the phone.
    Unfortunately I read the bit on the instructions that said 3rd party applications would be lost and I didn't realise this would wipe everything from the phone so there's no contacts, messages etc on there now to be backed up....
    I think most of my contacts are on my sim card, and probably still on my old phone, so I should be ok with those. It was just some of my messages I wanted to try and recover
    When I get the new phone I will be regularly backing up!!

Will I have a new PIN with the new phone?

Thanks for all the help and advice
    02-09-10 02:46 PM
    Yes, you will have a new PIN with the new phone.

I just had the same thing happen to me and after recovering using the same process, I decided to keep it and sent back my replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-10 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD