So i when I read the review on playbook charger being used with the phones I decided to go and buy one. Guess what?

Holy crap using meterberry I was at 23% at 9:38pm and at 9:52pm I was at 60% so in 14mins my phone has charged almost 40% more. Unbelievable! Anyone who has had any thoughts on purchasing one I recommend it highly to do so! This thing is awesome!
    09-11-11 09:12 PM
    Can we be sure this won't cause the battery to wear prematurely and suffer from a reduced life span / charge cycle count?
    09-11-11 10:39 PM
    Well to be honest on that, I really don't know, but I don't believe it should hurt the battery to be honest. The charger stops charging once the battery has reached full capacity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 11:10 PM
    It doesn't hurt the battery. Its the same thing as a BB "quick" charger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-11-11 11:22 PM
    Yep, works great. If you look at modern power tools that use lithium batteries they also use rapid chargers that take a fraction of the time to charge vs a nicad battery. It does no harm to the batteries.
    09-11-11 11:40 PM
    Hope you guys are right. Just make sure the voltage output of the Playbook charger is the same as what comes with the phone - 5V.

Not to be pessimistic but to expand a little, the charger that comes with the 9900 outputs 5v / 750 mA. My basic understanding of these things is that it's okay to have more amps than whats rated or required (but not less), and that more amps in this case won't be harmful, and would indeed produce a more rapid charge of the battery. If the voltage isn't matched however, there could be problems...
    09-11-11 11:54 PM
    Hope you guys are right. Just make sure the voltage output of the Playbook charger is the same as what comes with the phone - 5V.

Not to be pessimistic but to expand a little, the charger that comes with the 9900 outputs 5v / 750 mA. My basic understanding of these things is that it's okay to have more amps than whats rated or required (but not less), and that more amps in this case won't be harmful, and would indeed produce a more rapid charge of the battery. If the voltage isn't matched however, there could be problems...
    So what your saying is that there is no problem if the amp is cranked up as long as the voltage remains balanced?

09-12-11 12:30 AM
    Basically all of the usb port chargers output 5v....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 12:35 AM
    So what your saying is that there is no problem if the amp is cranked up as long as the voltage remains balanced?

That is my understanding yes, and I've followed this logic in my A/V career when it comes to DC adapters for various electronics without issue. Any device that uses a 5V / 750 mA charger, will function perfectly fine with a 5V / 1000 mA (or 1Amp) charger.

Change it to a 9V and it could be a problem if the device can't handle the extra voltage, use a device with less than 5V and you have problems as well.

Also, Never go backwards with the amps. i.e. a 5V / 750 mA device should not be used with a 5v / 500 mA device or it may function intermittently. Though when it comes to charging batteries, it probably just means a slower charge...
    Tinyk and enzozenuni like this.
    09-12-11 01:04 AM
    One thing which I noticed was that when I use the Playbook charger to charge my BB 9900, the battery performs much than when I use the stock charger.
    I think I would reset the call timers and then charge and compare performance.
    09-12-11 04:25 AM
    One thing which I noticed was that when I use the Playbook charger to charge my BB 9900, the battery performs much than when I use the stock charger.
    I think I would reset the call timers and then charge and compare performance.
    09-12-11 04:27 AM
    I've noticed that too! When I charged it with the playbook charger it seems to get a fuller charge, When i charge it with usb through computer it gets charged but it gets drained faster.
    09-12-11 09:23 AM
    i got my hands on the playbook rapid charger to try with my BB 9900 . Did not have micro USB connection so i could not use it. So WHICH playbook charger can you actually use to give a fast charge on the 9900 ? Thanks for anyone clarifying
    09-24-11 05:05 AM
    I use my PB charger on mine too. Love it.

May buy another so I can have one at home and one at work. At work I currently have a Nokia micro USB charger and it takes twice the amount of time to charge up my 9900.
    09-24-11 05:27 AM
    I too have noticed the added benefits of using the PB rapid charger to charge my Bold 9930, in fact, that's the only charger I use now.
    09-24-11 06:30 AM
    Can we be sure this won't cause the battery to wear prematurely and suffer from a reduced life span / charge cycle count?
    The capacity of the charger has nothing to do with the cycle count.

The PB charger is just much greater in capacity than the little under powered cube charger that it come with. The small charger work for most as it has all night to charge the device. In the end there is not difference except in the time it takes to reach 100%. At 100% the device turns off the charging circuit and it does not even trickle charge. Until the battery drops from 100%, the charger is doing nothing.
    09-24-11 06:57 AM
    i got my hands on the playbook rapid charger to try with my BB 9900 . Did not have micro USB connection so i could not use it. So WHICH playbook charger can you actually use to give a fast charge on the 9900 ? Thanks for anyone clarifying
    Alas I did the same....what's the story?

11-08-11 12:39 PM
    +1 for the awesomeness of the Playbook charger. I was away last weekend and only had about a half hour or so where I could actually charge the phone. I knew beforehand that would be the case so I brought along my PB stock charger and let it do its thing.

It's a good thing I did too. The night before I shut the phone off to conserve the last 30% of my battery, but when I awoke the battery was dead and wouldn't turn on. Almost 40min on the PB charger and I was at 80%, easily lasting the rest of my trip. Unfortunately the ongoing issue of the 9900 dying while powered off is still...well...ongoing
    11-08-11 12:54 PM
    I might be the only one who had an issue with this charger on my 9900....

Charged it last night and 1 hour later after 5 in talk and a couple emails my battery was completely dead.

Charged it at my desk at lunch time I had full battery and 1 call about 6 min and 2 emails laters and my battery is in the orange again.. charging it for a 3rd time today as we speak to see what is going on..

Might have pooched my battery!

FYI -

Everything is off, wifi, BT, GPS etc... backlight is 10% and standby is 10sec after use.
    01-05-12 12:00 PM
    I have one Nokia charger it charges %1 per minute, twice as fast as the original blackberry smartphone charger. But of course it can't beat the Playbook charger
    01-05-12 12:46 PM
    I read on Crackberry that this may cause problems for the battery later down the road and some users suggested that using the Playbook charger may have contributed to bricking their devices.

With all the issues that Bold 99xx have now days, I would just use the original charger just to be safe.
    01-05-12 12:49 PM
    You're not the only one. I have destroyed 4 batteries on two separate 9900 phones using the playbook charger.
    02-17-13 05:24 AM
    calibrate ur battery !!!!!!!
    02-17-13 06:14 AM
    I use my playbook charger most of the time since I have two playbooks and the 9930. Since my 9930 lasts more than a day, it surprises me when it runs out so I have to quickly charge it to keep the stellar battery life going!
    nappp likes this.
    02-17-13 08:47 PM
    FWIW, I charged my 9900 for a year and a half on the PlayBook charged. Never had battery trouble.

Posted via CB10
    nappp and CerveloJohn like this.
    02-17-13 09:20 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD