06-28-09 02:06 PM
88 1234
tools
    I have a number of horror stories regarding people who were pretty much in your situation.

They opted not to get a data plan and chose to use their wifi equipped phone (in the instance I'm going to explain, she has an HTC that is 3G and wifi enabled). She used her interent almost everyday with the wifi ON and the icon illuminated, clearly anyone would think that their wifi in the one supporting the connection.

WRONG.

apparently the wifi connection dips in and out on ALL phones and networks. everytime the wifi connection dipped out, her carrier (in this case Rogers) interent service would kick in, and stay on. little did she know she was paying about $5/74kb web page. in the end..and brace yourself, her phone bill turned out to be almost $5000! and with her being a student and all, you can imagine the horror. in her case her father has deep roots with rogers and was able to get her bill down to $80. others I have heard of have not been so lucky...

the best advice I can give, pay for the minimal amount of data you can, so that can cover you when your wifi connection choses to abandon you.

PS. my friend has the iphone and she opted not to get data, and just uses the wifi connection when she can, BUT she called rogers almost immediatly after she received the phone and blocked the data connection. but then again, in my experience with her phone and my bold, the iphone is much more proficient than the bold with a wifi connection. if you're going to chose not to shell out the bucks every month to get BIS or whatever, I would DEFINETLY call your carrier and get them to block data.
    Last edited by nh.bbold; 03-10-09 at 02:28 PM.
    03-10-09 02:12 PM
    I tried downloading and installing facebook and windows live messenger from Blackberry website with no SIM card on the phone using only wi-fi connection. It doesn't let me do that. Apparently you must be using Blackberry data plan to download applications from Blackberry website.

Also, without data plan, you will not get email push and BB Messenger. I'm pretty sure you won't get Facebook notification as well since those are linked to your email account, which you won't have on your Blackberry if you don't have data plan.
    03-10-09 04:13 PM
    blackberries are pretty crippled without data in terms of push email and portable internet access. otherwise, most programs should be able to run with wifi. you'll also lose out on bbm.
    03-10-09 04:37 PM
    oh yeah, you'll need the service books for some programs, such as weather and facebook which you cannot get without a data plan.
    03-10-09 04:38 PM
    you can do what you want. i was bashed earlier and my homeslice was right that you aren't happy with the idea of an iphone.

but like these past couple of posters have said.. not many things work on the bold on wifi with no data plan. no facebook, no aim, no msn, no weather, i haven't even gotten slacker to work on wifi with a data plan. and then you have to check your mail within the browser on wifi.. and then surfing using wifi may or may not charge you pay-as-you-go data. it's painful just thinking about what i had to go through for a couple of months.

i'm not saying go with the iphone anymore, since a virtual keyboard is not for everyone.

but i would reconsider your choice of a bold w/o a data plan. you'll probably buckle one day in the near future and splurge for the data plan anyway because you will feel so restricted.. (maybe that's not such a bad thing after all since the bold with a data plan is great!)

the only other phone i'd recommend is maybe nokia e71? sleek little phone. it looks great, solidly built, decent keyboard, good screen, browser, 3g, wifi, better browser, good media player, threaded text messaging (with nokia conversation) and most of all it isn't 80% crippled with no data plan. lots of free apps on symbian too. if you ever decide to get the data plan.. it's only $15 for unlimited on at&t so you have room to grow.

i'm not talking out of my **** as some here may think. i've gone through what you are going to go through.. a blackberry without a data plan. i hacked the blackberry browser to work sorta but it was a hack and it didn't work that well. i ended up just using the hotspot browser which sucks equally.
    plus.. i couldn't get any apps because most of the good stuff is OTA (and paid) and need cellular data to work anyway.

anyway, it's up to you. if you decide to stay with the bold, i can help you out. i know some tricks to make it slightly more livable so just pm me if you ever need any help.
    Last edited by ImGeorgeous; 03-10-09 at 05:10 PM.
    03-10-09 05:07 PM
    Let me just add my 2 cents, its simply ridiculous to have a Blackberry without a data plan. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 06:16 PM
    but like these past couple of posters have said.. not many things work on the bold on wifi with no data plan. no facebook, no aim, no msn, no weather, i haven't even gotten slacker to work on wifi with a data plan. and then you have to check your mail within the browser on wifi.. and then surfing using wifi may or may not charge you pay-as-you-go data. it's painful just thinking about what i had to go through for a couple of months.

but i would reconsider your choice of a bold w/o a data plan. you'll probably buckle one day in the near future and splurge for the data plan anyway because you will feel so restricted.. (maybe that's not such a bad thing after all since the bold with a data plan is great!)

i'm not talking out of my **** as some here may think. i've gone through what you are going to go through.. a blackberry without a data plan. i hacked the blackberry browser to work sorta but it was a hack and it didn't work that well. i ended up just using the hotspot browser which sucks equally.
    plus.. i couldn't get any apps because most of the good stuff is OTA (and paid) and need cellular data to work anyway.

just lol..... SLACKER works with wifi, you can also get weather. there is a list of apps that work with wifi. the list that hasn't been updated since july. someone has posted it already, im sure no one with a data plan even looked at it.. so many sheep

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/

Ok, I need some help from the CrackBerry Community here. I did a search but didn't see a thread that consolidates this topic, so thought we could get one going.

So I just got my BlackBerry 8320, running unlocked on Rogers in Canada, and am pumped to have Wi-Fi so I can save on some of my ridiculous data bills. But as I start to load up my favorite apps and use them, it seems to me that some are taking advantage of my established WiFi connection while others are not.

So, what's the verdict? Can we get a list going here of which apps currently are compatible with WiFi and which are not. Viigo, Opera Mini, JiveTalk, etc. etc. etc., let's make a list. Will help me out (and I'm sure others too).

Update - Here's a condensed list! (as of July 13th, 2008):

Working
    ~~~~~

Web broswers
    Black Berry Browser
    Opera mini [works for many]

Email
    Tiggit mail [email]
    LogicMail (Pop Imap Mail) - FREEWARE

IM
    JiveTalk 1.05 [MSN/IM] - TRYAL
    Mundu 4.0.4 (The app is $11 for lifetime use and they have a 5 day trial available) [
    http:// messenger. mundu. com/blackberry/]

Searching
    Google Search (google on the desktop) - FREEWARE
    Microsoft Live Search Utility - FREEWARE
    Beyond411 [will work, but you need to change the connection to Basic setting, otherwise you get a Bad DNS address]
    Microsoft Live Search: (THE BEST-weather-maps-cinema-web-gps-direction)[http:// wls. live. com]

VOIP
    EQO 1.6.0 [like skype][uses wifi/local calling minutes to hop onto VOIP network, very cheap]

Other
    Google apps [web versions only]
    FreeRange RSS reader [RSS]
    Rove Mobile File Manager (ftp-smb-WebDav Utility) - FREEWARE
    Audible beta - FREEWARE
    BBtran (dictionary) - FREEWARE

Needs confirmation:
    BB today? [one user says yes, one says no]
    bbweather? [one user says yes, one says no]
    facebook? [one user says yes, one says no]
    Google Maps? [one user says yes, one says no]

Not working
    ~~~~~~

viigo
    IM+ apps (Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk)
    All built in Google apps [Web versions work] (Gmail, GMaps)
    BB Maps
    Yahoo Go

@ Compiled by andy0
    so do feel so restricted?
    Last edited by _StOrmShAdOw_; 03-10-09 at 06:47 PM.
    03-10-09 06:43 PM
    i have the data plan so i can't give a fair opinion. but i do know some apps don't work with wifi. my friend had an 8320 without a data plan and with wifi she could barely do anything. no sure about the bold though
    03-10-09 07:39 PM
    just lol..... SLACKER works with wifi, you can also get weather. there is a list of apps that work with wifi. the list that hasn't been updated since july. someone has posted it already, im sure no one with a data plan even looked at it.. so many sheep

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/

so do feel so restricted?
    Yes do.

That stuff works on the cellular network too. Good luck with the charges.. For example, BeeJive is great on WiFi. It also costs 30 bucks and may revert back to the cellular network if needed. if he's going to keep it, I'd turn off data or have the wrong tcp settings so it can't access regular internet. Whatever floats your boat.

03-10-09 09:39 PM
    Hey, don't let everyone tell you that you need a big ole expensive data plan, I got my Bold last friday and I'm in the exact same boat as you, I'm on campus 24/7 (residence) so I've got wifi all the time.
    I've been using:
    -Logicmail for email, it does IMAP and POP3,
    -bbweather for weather,
    -EQO for IM (works MOST of the time, I think it's the security on my Uni's network that's the problem though)
    -Trekbuddy for GPS (if you want advice on how to make the maps I can tell you what I've found so far)
    -MGMaps for GPS too but I've been having problems making the maps zoom in past level 10 or so on device
    -the built in browser for browsing

that's all the usefull ones I've found that work well with wifi ONLY. some apps that say they work with wifi need a data connection to start the program or install the program THEN they work, I have a data block on my account with Rogers though so I'm not even going to try
    03-10-09 09:57 PM
    Oh, and I'm on pay-as-you-go too, since I never use my phone during the day and get 1 cent/min nights and weekends.

This also means you don't need a texting plan like someone earlier said, it just goes onto my phone card.

Unless you work somewhere where EVERYONE had a blackberry then you don't need blackberry messenger (PIN messenger).

EQO runs MSN for me, also AIM and Yahoo and all those other popular ones too.
    03-10-09 10:13 PM
    this is a pretty long thread so here's my opinion. i'm on a rogers data plan. i have wifi at home but never really tried utilizing it, so I dunno. lol but i'd prefer to stick with a data plan, mainly for traveling. so i could use it on the bus and stuffs like that and I don't wanna keep on searching for wifi hot spots. But lately I've only been using my blackberry for music. lol and occasional instant messaging and checking of e-mails. so i guess if you think yar better off without the plan then stick with that. after all you know what's best for you.

p.s.
    if you really wanna make full use of your Blackberry then it should be with a data plan.
    Last edited by blackberrybold_newbie; 03-10-09 at 10:27 PM.
    03-10-09 10:22 PM
    I seriously don't understand why anyone would get a Bold without a data plan. Why pay the extra for a 3g handset if you are never going to use 3g on it?

I really would love an answer, because it makes no sense to me.

Oh well, I guess it goes to show just how desirable the 9000 is.

03-11-09 08:21 AM
    I seriously don't understand why anyone would get a Bold without a data plan. Why pay the extra for a 3g handset if you are never going to use 3g on it?

I really would love an answer, because it makes no sense to me.

Oh well, I guess it goes to show just how desirable the 9000 is.

There are plenty of reasons. A lot of people use blackberries without data plans. That's nothing new. I agree you should get a data plan, but not everyone will utilize that. Why does it matter?
    03-11-09 12:02 PM
    I'm fine with people using Blackberries without data plans, I just don't understand paying more for a 3g phone and then never use 3g?

The 8900 would be perfect for wifi only users, no 3g and double the app memory and cheaper.

03-11-09 12:34 PM
    I think ATT requires a data plan to use wifi. I'd call and ask about this.
    03-11-09 12:56 PM
    Yes do.

That stuff works on the cellular network too. Good luck with the charges.. For example, BeeJive is great on WiFi. It also costs 30 bucks and may revert back to the cellular network if needed. if he's going to keep it, I'd turn off data or have the wrong tcp settings so it can't access regular internet. Whatever floats your boat.

Good luck with what charges? so big deal call your service provider and have them block data. BeeJive works great on wifi for 30 bucks. thats one months data plan payment.

$360 a year for push email. bbm and some apps like facebook... LOL

I think ATT requires a data plan to use wifi. I'd call and ask about this.
    no
    03-11-09 01:05 PM
    Please understand that you CANNOT send texts without a texting plan. I pay 4.99 for 200.

If I were you I would be looking for every dollar you can cut out of your monthly budget so you can swing a data plan.

And be carefull about leaving hotspot whilst using data or else they'll be charging you out the wazoo.
    After reading many threads on here, I have come to the conclusion that US carriers charge the earth for every service.

You have to have a texting Plan too? Thats weird.
    03-11-09 01:16 PM
    Oh, and I'm on pay-as-you-go too, since I never use my phone during the day and get 1 cent/min nights and weekends.

This also means you don't need a texting plan like someone earlier said, it just goes onto my phone card.

Unless you work somewhere where EVERYONE had a blackberry then you don't need blackberry messenger (PIN messenger).

EQO runs MSN for me, also AIM and Yahoo and all those other popular ones too.
    Actually most of my bbm contacts are not people from work... I don't know where u get your "facts" from...

03-11-09 01:48 PM
    At this point I seriously hope that no one considers the advice in here unbiased or objective (on both sides) :P

It's like buying a Ferrari and commuting with it for an hour everyday.. and nothing else. Sure, it's a nice car and everyone knows why you bought it (for flash) but you're not using the car for what it was designed for. The reason BB's are so interesting is because they offer something, like ferrari, that most other manufacturers can't duplicate (a business device that gets you access to everything you need, everywhere for RIM, a real enthusiast and driver's car for Ferrari).

Go ahead, buy the ferrari for your commute. I bought mine because I like the way she drives
    03-11-09 01:50 PM
    At this point I seriously hope that no one considers the advice in here unbiased or objective (on both sides) :P

It's like buying a Ferrari and commuting with it for an hour everyday.. and nothing else. Sure, it's a nice car and everyone knows why you bought it (for flash) but you're not using the car for what it was designed for. The reason BB's are so interesting is because they offer something, like ferrari, that most other manufacturers can't duplicate (a business device that gets you access to everything you need, everywhere for RIM, a real enthusiast and driver's car for Ferrari).

Go ahead, buy the ferrari for your commute. I bought mine because I like the way she drives
    Adding to this analogy, its like buying a ferrari then not wanting to pay for the fuel.
    03-11-09 01:58 PM
    Or like buying one of the most expensive hdtvs and not wanting to pay additional for hd channels, and sticking to the local hd channels. Lol

03-11-09 02:14 PM
    Thats what it seems like sometimes... It like they are trying to justify to themselves why they are paying $30 a month for the data plan. I think the only people who can fairly answer my question are those who have used the Bold WITHOUT the Data plan for a reasonable amount of time.

People who have only ever had a Data plan can't really answer what it is like to use a Bold without one.

And to the guy who reccomends that I get an Iphone... NO. If someone can reccomend me a phone that has a full keyboard, nice screen, great organizational feature, and the ability to check the internet and email within wifi... be my guest. The Bold was the only one I could find.
    Adding to this analogy, its like buying a ferrari then not wanting to pay for the fuel.
    that too.. I suggest just buying a hybrid and stop posing
    03-11-09 02:25 PM
    I use mine without data plan at the moment, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Using it just for sms, calls and some media (especially Music) works great, but I'd love to use google maps, sometimes msn/icq and viigo is a must! My new contract will arrive this week with fresh gigs for internet usage, can't wait to use it

Hopefully everything works fine, because it's 3G Hutchison and they just annouced contracts with the BB Bold for next month or so...

greets
    03-11-09 02:39 PM
    I was in ur exact position a year ago, except i was buying the 8320 from tmobile. I loved my BB without a data plan. Go for it.. its the best....
    03-15-09 07:22 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD