and there is nothing wrong with wanting to pose... dont we all do it, in different ways
    03-15-09 06:24 PM
    So is the answer Yes or NO? Can you get internet access without the Data Plan.
    Baz from Australia
    03-30-09 08:11 PM
    yes, if you have wifi available
    03-30-09 08:15 PM
    I'm fine with people using Blackberries without data plans, I just don't understand paying more for a 3g phone and then never use 3g?

The 8900 would be perfect for wifi only users, no 3g and double the app memory and cheaper.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well I am also a student and have a Blackberry Bold. Considering i have wifi everywhere I would want to use it, I really see no reason to pay for data.

I can't get the monthly student discount someone mentioned b/c I'm not the main account holder (on a family plan)

I got the bold b/c it has an amazing screen, I got a good deal, it has an awesome keyboard, and it's a million times better than my old phone lol.

The wifi is a nice plus. As for blackberry messenger, I don't think I'll miss it in the slightest as none of my friends use it (most of them have iphones actually lol). The keyboard is awesome and is great for texting, which is what I mainly use the phone for.

Why buy a 3g phone? b/c for some odd reason when I go home out to the middle of nowhere, I can get great 3g reception but the older edge is crap signal-wise lol. Plus, it looked cool

I don't understand why people seem so opposed and oppressive to the OP and several others using Bolds without a data plan lol. I think the Bold is a great texting phone, as well as having docs2go, and the ever addictive BrickBreaker game. I can understand why those w/ a data plan who use all the extra features like BBM are happy w/ using a data plan, but I'm happy not using one I don't really _need_ the internet on my phone as I'm usually around computers. I don't really need push email, or email at all on my phone. If it's that important that it can't wait until I check my email then they can just .call. me, remember that? lol That'd be why we're paying for minutes and voicemail after all

Lol, yeah I saw the 8900 and I'm like that's cool.. then I saw the pricetag :P
    03-30-09 09:49 PM
    dude I hear ya. I'm also a college student and I just got a refurbed BB bold last week...When I got it, after a day or so, I decided to get the data plan just to try it. I'm on a family plan too, but my parents are makin me pay, which is only fair. I forked over the cash for the first month, just to see it's all about. So far, it's really impressive. What I plan on doing is canceling it during the summer and then using during the school year since it is pretty useful.

Also it's rad to be able to check facebook and email without having to go to a computer lab on campus. I never bring my laptop with me...But, I guess if you can do that on wifi....see how it works out maybe for the first month, then see how your bill looks? If you're getting charged or if you feel like you want it, just get it. It's worth it, I would say.
    03-30-09 11:48 PM
    I just removed the data plan today. The woman at the ATT store was telling me that when my BB auto-updates, I will be charged like $500 bucks, lol. Can anyone confirm this?
    04-15-09 12:01 AM
    ^ it looks like you can call att and have them block all data connections to your phone.

Also the analogy about how buying a bold without data is tantamount to buying a ferrari and not buying fuel doesnt hold in all cases for example i got the phone for 10 bucks.. why wouldnt i
    04-16-09 08:53 PM
    But like others have said, you will not be able to use blackberry messenger at all.
    I'm surprised so many people are bothered by this. One of the first things I do when pulling down a new OS is remove BB Messenger. Am I really cheating myself that badly? I mean, Instango keeps me linked to all my AIM, YIM, MSN and GTalk buddies, and I have like 4 friends with BBs tops. I've not pulled BBM from OS 5.0 yet, should I be trying it or something?

EDIT: Sometimes I can't believe how long I went before getting my ADD diagnosed. Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
    04-16-09 09:51 PM
    all the people who dont have a data plan who post are not credible in the least bit and should not be given consideration bc they dont know what they are missing.

If you live in the US and have a job that means you must earn at least minimum wage. Which means you have $1 a day for a data plan.

Honestly, getting a blackberry with no data plan is bootleg. If all you want to do is show it off in public you're fine but it's absolutely useless otherwise. Might as well get a dummy phone.

Harsh but true.
    Last edited by wfbold; 04-17-09 at 07:08 AM.
    04-17-09 07:05 AM
    i'm so impressed with the amount of people on this thread who have such an issue with this. High and mighty come to mind.

For one, he's a college student who doesnt need a data plan to get internet. Why spend $30 more a month when you dont have too? Its free!!

For two, he's a college student which most times means he has no money and saving a little bit can help. I've been there. Who hasnt?

For three, this is a good deal on a Bold. Who wouldnt want the best phone avilable?

ok that's enough of those.

For the OP , in case you have not got answered just do a search. You'll find the thread you need to make sure you only use WiFi and not media net for internet. Dont let people convince you to buy something you can get for free.
    04-17-09 11:24 AM
    LOL - you aren't missing anything by not having BB Messenger. I simply PIN Message my friends and family using the 'Send PIN' option.

I do think that you can't really use a BB to it's full potential without a BB Plan - I'm a heavy user of my calendar and email for both work and play - but what do I know, my BB doesn't have WIFI lol!!!

It seems like you've made up your mind, so I say - go for it! If you decide later on that you can/want to change to a data plan you just call AT&T (or your provider) and voila!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Blackberry (Yes I did steal that line from Disney)!

I recommended the Bold to a colleague of mine and he's really enjoying it - he did take the AT&T BB Data Plan!!

I'm surprised so many people are bothered by this. One of the first things I do when pulling down a new OS is remove BB Messenger. Am I really cheating myself that badly? I mean, Instango keeps me linked to all my AIM, YIM, MSN and GTalk buddies, and I have like 4 friends with BBs tops. I've not pulled BBM from OS 5.0 yet, should I be trying it or something?

EDIT: Sometimes I can't believe how long I went before getting my ADD diagnosed. Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
    Last edited by bbsean; 04-17-09 at 02:24 PM.
    04-17-09 02:21 PM
    I have a similar story - student with wi-fi access not wanting to pay for data plan.

My question:
    1) Can I still setup the Bold to download my Yahoo emails without having to browse to Yahoo Mail page each time and login? I have Yahoo Mail Plus with POP feature.
    06-28-09 12:03 PM

If you really have no friends with BBs, then no you are not missing anything. If you do know people with BBs, then yes removing BBM would be silly. I can't live without it. You must realize though that the people I talk to most(Mom,Dad,Sister, and 3 best friends)all have BBs and all use BBM religiously.
    06-28-09 01:06 PM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD