suggesting an iphone to someone who just ordered a bb to get around data is a bit of a stretch don't you think? lol

you can just as easily get charged for data on an iphone. you are supposed to have an iphone data plan and it doesn't matter if you turn data off, att has been sending mass txts to people that don't have the data plan and if they don't add it, they charge fees. there's a huge thread on hofo about it.

they can tell you are using an iphone by the IMEI.

i put my SIM in the gf's iphone 3G for one day and i got about 3 of those msgs.

if you really don't want a data plan, i'd sell the bold and get an original iphone. the iphone is amazing on wifi without a data plan. just jailbreak and download bossprefs and turn off edge internet. little chance of getting charged by at&t.

and most apps use wifi seamlessly, and it's incredibly simple to connect to a school/workplace wifi that uses 802.1x authentication (not the case with blackberry). and plus, no data plan = no mail on a blackberry.

i got both my sister and girlfriend an iphone for their respective birthdays and they've been super happy with them without a data plan.

honestly, seeing how you are a big texter and you aren't getting a data plan, i'd have a hard time recommending a blackberry to you. the iphone has a good threaded texting program and its wifi integration is much better.
    03-09-09 01:59 AM
    suggesting an iphone to someone who just ordered a bb to get around data is a bit of a stretch don't you think? lol

you can just as easily get charged for data on an iphone. you are supposed to have an iphone data plan and it doesn't matter if you turn data off, att has been sending mass txts to people that don't have the data plan and if they don't add it, they charge fees. there's a huge thread on hofo about it.

they can tell you are using an iphone by the IMEI.
    no. not for the original iphone, as i specified. read closer homie.

the original iphone was not subsidized by at&t, the iphone 3g was heavily subsidized by at&t, so they are pushing the data plan much harder with the 3g (since that is where they make the money). so with the original, you don't get the messages and guess what, at&t doesn't care!

then you install bossprefs and it kills the data. how can they charge you for data if it's disabled? it definitely works.

why i say this is because you can sell the bold and get an iphone and probably save money and be happier with your purchase. the bold is an amazing phone....with a data plan. it's a heavily neutered phone without one.

and yes, at&t knows what phone you are using. what's new?
    03-09-09 02:05 AM
    or just a thought, some people may not be happier with an iPhone?

ps: please don't call me homie?

kthanx

no. not for the original iphone, as i specified. read closer homie.

the original iphone was not subsidized by at&t, the iphone 3g was heavily subsidized by at&t, so they are pushing the data plan much harder with the 3g (since that is where they make the money). so with the original, you don't get the messages and guess what, at&t doesn't care!

then you install bossprefs and it kills the data. how can they charge you for data if it's disabled? it definitely works.

why i say this is because you can sell the bold and get an iphone and probably save money and be happier with your purchase. the bold is an amazing phone....with a data plan. it's a heavily neutered phone without one.

and yes, at&t knows what phone you are using. what's new?
    03-09-09 02:08 AM
    or just a thought, some people may not be happier with an iPhone?

ps: please don't call me homie?

kthanx
    k homeslice.

sorry for putting my opinion out there when yours is obviously correct.
    03-09-09 02:11 AM
    k homeslice.

sorry for putting my opinion out there when yours is obviously correct.
    you're forgiven
    03-09-09 02:15 AM
    If your using WiFi only and acrue data charges I would be raising a stink.

And if AT&T sent me text messages just so they could charge me for them I would be throwing my phone through their window. I don't think they can charge you for any contact with them.
    03-09-09 06:07 AM
    You won't reap the full benefits of the Bold without the data plan.
    ok so no data plan= no push email, bbm and if in no area with wifi your not able to use the internet or apps that are not wifi compatible. if im missing anything plz let me know.

I dont need to be notified of every email that hits my in box. I can simply hit the logicmail icon and check myself. i dont need bbm. Im around wifi about 90% of the time. $360 a year to reap the full benefits. no thanks..
    Last edited by _StOrmShAdOw_; 03-09-09 at 01:52 PM.
    03-09-09 01:41 PM
    Enjoy your new Bold! And yes you can enjoy it without a data plan. Take advantage of the wifi and the features of the phone that don't require data. I think it's funny so many people want to tell you don't get a BB without a data plan and make discouraging comments. It's almost like misery loves company with some that are probably paying some pretty hefty cell bills. Obviously you could add data at later time if wanted/needed.
    03-09-09 02:43 PM
    Get a data plan. There is no way you can use the bold to its full potentail without a data plan. There is so much that you can use the bold for and its just not understandable why you would purchase a bold but not use a data plan with it. Its like purchasing a car without an engine. Sure you could use wifi for a little bit however do expect to get the best coverage at ur house with that. Don't use the gps or bbm or anything like that. Be very careful with that though and if you do go over att will not help you out because they will see you have a pda and will only give you a one time credit if you go over your mintues. Just get the data plan. Your a student so att gives you a month discount off your bill

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 03:02 PM
    Enjoy your new Bold! And yes you can enjoy it without a data plan. Take advantage of the wifi and the features of the phone that don't require data. I think it's funny so many people want to tell you don't get a BB without a data plan and make discouraging comments. It's almost like misery loves company with some that are probably paying some pretty hefty cell bills. Obviously you could add data at later time if wanted/needed.
    Thats what it seems like sometimes... It like they are trying to justify to themselves why they are paying $30 a month for the data plan. I think the only people who can fairly answer my question are those who have used the Bold WITHOUT the Data plan for a reasonable amount of time.

People who have only ever had a Data plan can't really answer what it is like to use a Bold without one.

And to the guy who reccomends that I get an Iphone... NO. If someone can reccomend me a phone that has a full keyboard, nice screen, great organizational feature, and the ability to check the internet and email within wifi... be my guest. The Bold was the only one I could find.
    03-09-09 04:53 PM
    I realised before my blackberry activated, I can't even call or sms sometimes. When I subscribed to it, these problems gone !

03-09-09 05:52 PM
    Let me just say, FORGET ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING YOU NEED A DATA PLAN! You've made up your mind, and that's all there is to it. In fact, I'm canceling my data plan when my first mandatory 6 months with it are over--as a fellow college student, I don't require Push e-mail everywhere I go, and I'm sure you won't either!

Trust me, the Bold is a great choice, even if you want to kill all the data features and use it as a texting phone (What I'm doing!)

I would definitely call AT&T and ask them to block all data on your line of the Family Plan (theoretically, they can't charge you for Wi-Fi this way!), and use the Wi-Fi guide here:
    How to browse internet on Blackberry phone using Wi-Fi without data plan with AT & T | eHow.com

I found it at the Wi-Fi forum on Crackberry. Good luck, and PM me if you have accrued any data charges! I still have 4 months of overpaying for data :/ (Now watch me get flamed for saying I'm "overpaying" for a glorious service that I should starve to keep! )
    03-09-09 07:38 PM
    I would say if you're not getting a data plan then why not choose something less expensive than the Bold and with far less features? You can get a pretty cheap Wi-Fi equipped phone these days.

The reason why I am saying this is because to really unleash the full potential of your BlackBerry Bold (or any BlackBerry for that matter) it's recommended to have a data plan (I hate saying this, but think of the iPhone without a data plan? It's useless!)

Anyways, if you end up getting a BlackBerry Bold then welcome to the club man!

03-09-09 08:14 PM
    I would say if you're not getting a data plan then why not choose something less expensive than the Bold and with far less features? You can get a pretty cheap Wi-Fi equipped phone these days.

The reason why I am saying this is because to really unleash the full potential of your BlackBerry Bold (or any BlackBerry for that matter) it's recommended to have a data plan (I hate saying this, but think of the iPhone without a data plan? It's useless!)

Anyways, if you end up getting a BlackBerry Bold then welcome to the club man!

Just to egg it on... It like buying a car and deciding not to put gas in it because you drive down hill everywhere...

If my company did pick up the tab, I would have a bold or data plan. I miss the days when I wasn't addicted and jonesing for an os update...

03-09-09 08:27 PM
    You can get a pretty cheap Wi-Fi equipped phone these days.
    No you can't. There aren't many options at all actually...
    03-09-09 09:23 PM
    Planning on using my Bold WITHOUT a Data Plan... Advice?

Get a Data plan.
    03-09-09 09:24 PM
    HAHAHA, this thread is so funny. You don't need a data plan man.

I don't have a data plan and I find that I can do everything I want with it.
    With the wifi capabilities, I can still surf the web, get the weather, check my mail, listen to music and I text message someone when I have too.

I work form 9-5, so I have access to comp. When I leave work, I'm usually around wifi areas, if I need to look something up, I can always connect through wifi.

No data plan = no push email, bbm, internet browsing w/out wifi = No biggie

03-10-09 09:15 AM
    centerline,can you please tell how you configured your wifi ,i did try to connect to wifi (home network)by using hotspot browser ,now im charged for using data
    03-10-09 09:51 AM
    maggy003:
    mobile network is checked (green check mark)
    wifi is checked (white line)
    mobile network options; data services is on

open up the browser
    options
    browser configuration
    browser: hotspot browser

take it 1 step further
    go to options
    advanced options
    applications
    browser
    edit default permissions
    internet -> deny
    wifi -> allow

or you can do what some others do, when you want to use wifi, uncheck mobile network, and only check wifi, data services has to be on to use wifi

I've tested this both with and without a sim card in.
    When I open my brower now, it gives me a message: "this is a wifi service. please ensure your device has an active wifi connection and try again".
    Turn on the wifi and it works, no message.

LMK, if this works out for you.
    03-10-09 10:06 AM
    centerline, i did do all the steps,when i went to advanced options,to edit my browser settings,did not see any wifi options,had only media net and hotspotbrowser,i did check on the hotspotbrowser and my home page showed that im connected to wifi....but when i checked my data usage,i did notice that im being charged...
    03-10-09 10:25 AM
    maggy003:
    did you go to options
    advanced options
    --> applications <--
    browser 4.6.0
    edit default permissions
    internet -> deny
    wifi -> allow
    03-10-09 10:31 AM
    centerline,when i went to advanced options,application,browser 4.6,edit permission,i hd these three
    connections......custom

interactions.......custom

user data....allow
    03-10-09 10:42 AM
    under connections you have to choose expand
    hope this helps
    03-10-09 11:03 AM
    Thank you very much centerline.....
    03-10-09 11:25 AM
    Thanks for all your help!

There is a lot of great advice in this thread...
    03-10-09 11:38 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD