Okay, so I ordered a full pink housing from here. I received it yesterday and I couldn't wait for hubby to get home from work. I am one of those people that if you tell me I can't do something, it just makes me want to do that something even more ( I know, that is not always a great quality because there have been many times I failed!LOL!) Nevertheless, I knew changing the actual housing would be a piece of cake, it was the lens we were skeptical about. After researching crackberry and other sites it was determined that we could seriously ruin my lcd if we attempted to change the lens----but I REALLY wanted the lens to be pink. I know, I am spoiled. Plus I think my husband can do everything and I figured worse case scenario is I have to get a new lcd. So hubby carefully removed the original lens, it took at least 15 minutes to get it off, he didn't just yank it off.LOL! After successfully removing the lens there was a ton of glue residue left behind which we knew we needed to remove to apply the new lens. So off to the internet to search for a remedy for removing glue residue. Solution? Peanut Butter! Yep, we applied peanut butter to lcd with a q-tip and it worked perfectly. We did have to allow it to sit for a little while and we actually used two applications of peanut butter, but it removed all the gunk. SUCCESS! So after this was done, we put on the new lens and reassembled the phone. You would think I would be elated, right?

Well, after turning on the phone there was black spots---OH NO!! Two very tiny ones in the dead center of the screen and a small blob about the size of a pencil eraser in the lower right corner. I was mortified and thinking I should have listened to the experienced crackberry posters who warned me. In hindsight, I would not have applied any pressure at all to the lcd while cleaning off the gunk because I think this is what caused the spots. So, I found a pixel fixer (sorry best way I know to describe it) on you tube and ran it on my phone for a while last night. I woke up this morning and guess what?! No black spots in the center anymore and the blob on the lower right corner was almost gone. So I am hoping it will go away completely, if not I will be getting a new lcd. I can say though that it is not annoying enough that I will be replacing the lcd anytime soon if I do have to end up replacing it. UPDATE- All spots cleared up so no need to purchase a new lcd!YAY!!

In conclusion, I would not recommend replacing the lens. If you can live with the black lens and just change the rest of the housing then that is what I would do. However, if you are like me and want what you want when you want it, then it is POSSIBLE to change the lens. I just seriously would not recommend it!LOL! I was lucky, VERY LUCKY! There may be some experienced techs out there who can do it for you, but the price they would charge to do it would probably be a deal breaker when you consider the cost of the housing. So again, we did what everyone said was impossible by replacing the lens with a lot of patience, research, praying, and peanut butter. Was it worth it? My honest answer is..........ABSOLUTELY!! My blackberry bold is now officially---PINKILICIOUS.

*Now here are some pics, sorry for the looonng post, but hey, I don't post often so when I do I am making up for lost time.

Pic of lcd screen sans the lens

Side view pic of my new pinkilicious baby!

Pinkiliciousness at its finest!

I am pinkilicious...hear me roar!

Pic of custom vinyl applique and back of phone (I custom design and make all of my cell phone appliques and yes I sell them if interested, send me a pm)

Thanks for humoring me and thanks for everyone on this forum, my berry and I would be lost without you guys!

*Theme is the boldhearted theme by Nancy Drew*

Also, the quality of the paint job on this housing is flawless! The housing itself is lightweight and obviously the original housing seems to be of better quality, but for the price and color, it is all in all a good housing and I will keep a clear hardcase cover over the phone most of the time anyway and of course, a lens protector Overall, I wouldn't call it cheap, but not top of the line either, but it is certainly an acceptable replacement if you need color in your life.
    Last edited by momtocj7mea; 06-01-09 at 09:49 AM. Reason: info about quality and finish/pic
    05-30-09 07:45 AM
    Wow! That's awesome! Good job in the "coversion". I hope my wife doesn't see this thread! Lol...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 08:10 AM
    Very hot. You should think about getting the pink trackball from cnn.cn That would completely set it off.
    05-30-09 08:23 AM
    Very hot. You should think about getting the pink trackball from cnn.cn That would completely set it off.
    I am seriously contemplating it!
    05-30-09 09:17 AM
    Great job on the conversion. I agree that pink trackball would complete the transformation...
    05-30-09 10:02 AM
    I am seriously contemplating it!
    Theres a few of the pink ones, and personally if it was me i'd go for the lighter one. I can see it 'blending' with the current shades of pink much better.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could get a pink keyboard?
    05-30-09 10:05 AM
    great job!

way to go on the Lens. I wouldn't even attempt it. great work!
    05-30-09 12:19 PM
    Wow, talk about dedication! Great job!
    05-30-09 01:04 PM
    That's a nice looking phone. Great job.
    05-30-09 01:09 PM
    I really like that!
    05-30-09 01:31 PM
    Good job
    05-30-09 01:42 PM
    Looks good

05-30-09 02:26 PM
    That's sweet.

05-30-09 02:41 PM
    that's very nice. good job!
    05-30-09 04:34 PM
    Very brave! I want to do this peanut butter lens trick cause my lens is scratched
    05-30-09 08:45 PM
    I am one of those people that if you tell me I can't do something, it just makes me want to do that something even more ( I know, that is not always a great quality because there have been many times I failed!LOL!)

Plus I think my husband can do everything and I figured worse case scenario is I have to get a new lcd. So hubby carefully removed the original lens
    Anyone else find this funny?
    05-31-09 12:45 AM
    Looks cool. Something looks a bit off with the all black keypad though.
    05-31-09 12:48 AM
    Wow that looks great! Definite girls phone.
    05-31-09 01:47 AM
    Anyone else find this funny?
    I definitely do, but hey, me and hubby are ONE!LOL! But I was right there the whole time and helped remove the screen and I did the second peanut butter application, I just give my hubby all the credit since technically he did most of the work.
    05-31-09 06:31 AM
    Looks cool. Something looks a bit off with the all black keypad though.
    If I could find a pink keypad, I would be all over it. The housing came with a keypad with the red numbers, but I preferred the original keypad with the white numbers.
    05-31-09 08:24 AM
    Great job on the hard work, but I have so say that I think it looks awful! The pink and black clash real bad. Hopefully they'll release more pink parts!

05-31-09 06:48 PM
    Great job on the hard work, but I have so say that I think it looks awful! The pink and black clash real bad. Hopefully they'll release more pink parts!

Definitely respect your opionion, but I felt the all black looked awful!LOL! Besides pink and black are signature girly colors(at least they are mine anyway). Besides I am not aware of any blackberry that has a colored keypad other than black, white or silver. If I am mistaken, my bad I know on the curves since the keypad keys are not all connected you can get the housings that have the color between the keys which was sweet (I also had a custom pink curve before I upgraded to the bold ) But the bolds design kinda limits the customization in the keyboard area unless you can find a different color keyboard. But I would take my bold over my old curve anyday!LOL! But I can see how some would think the black keyboard does kinda glare out at ya! Oh well, you can't please everyone and good thing it's MY phone since I am the one who has to live with it

Also, quick update, all of the spots on the screen have cleared up and it looks as good as new so luckily I won't have to buy a new lcd screen!YAY!
    06-01-09 09:47 AM
    An idea, if you can make vinyls of the QWERTY layout for the bold, and the buttons, just take the keyboard off and use some plastic paint (I think theres Krylon or something which doesn't even need a primer or Plastikote (Something like that) which needs a primer), paint it, let it dry, put the vinyls on. Hey presto.
    06-01-09 10:01 AM
    An idea, if you can make vinyls of the QWERTY layout for the bold, and the buttons, just take the keyboard off and use some plastic paint (I think theres Krylon or something which doesn't even need a primer or Plastikote (Something like that) which needs a primer), paint it, let it dry, put the vinyls on. Hey presto.
    OOOOOO, idea! Not sure how well it would hold up--- paint,plastic and moving parts usually doesn't work out too well. The vinyls for the keys could work if I use the permanent vinyl.I do have two extra keyboards so it couldn't hurt to try, right? HMMMM.... but this is definitely a good brainstorm!
    06-01-09 10:08 AM
    Why thankyou
    Yeah, I did quite a big customization of a Guitar Hero guitar for a friend, I used that Krylon for all of it and it still looks good as new, even the buttons.

I think the Krylon actually binds with the plastic.
    06-01-09 10:11 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD