So the question is.
    Should I get one?

LOL!
    08-17-11 09:29 AM
    I'm not a photographer, but I like to just take pictures of my surroundings, wherever I go. All the 9900 shots in this thread look OK when taken outside and from not too close objects, until you compare them to pictures taken by another smartphone. All the other BlackBerrys take better pictures and the competition is far ahead. This is a step back in a very competitive race that moves forward.
    Just like on the PlayBook, the pictures look like stills from a video. It's obvious in non-sunny conditions or when there is some chrome on the picture.
    They're OK for some to capture the moment (but why should we settle for OK when we had good with the previous gen) or to keep a reference to a document, but I'm sure you'll be told off if you're sending the pic of a receipt above to your accountant. He'll probably ask you if you couldn't make an effort and you'll end up using a camera or another phone.
    RIM made compromises (and bad choices) and forces us to compromise where we should just be happy to upgrade to the new generation. I didn't expect that, having always upgraded to the latest 'flagship' device.
    morrsn likes this.
    08-17-11 09:43 AM
    Here's a close up pic using the stand back and zoom in technique, both pics from the same distance.

I'm happy enough considering the huge benefit it brings for taking beautiful candid photos.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-17-11 09:45 AM
    OP owes me breakfast and a keyboard.
    08-17-11 10:10 AM
    Breakfast and a keyboard? how so?
    08-17-11 10:16 AM
    That looks good.

Here's a close up pic using the stand back and zoom in technique, both pics from the same distance.

I'm happy enough considering the huge benefit it brings for taking beautiful candid photos.
    08-17-11 10:17 AM
    It seems that many people are missing the point. It's not that people want a professional camera out of this cell phone, but that people don't understand why the quality of the images has degraded with the latest model when compared with the previous generations.

Yeah, the 9900's camera is fine. It works. But why is it only fine and not better than the cameras found in the previous generations of phones? That's the issue.
    Pretty much right. We don't want, or need a pro camera, just with features for biz we have depended on for a while now. I got into the game with a Tour and now Bolds. Making clean closeups of contracts, dataplates, BOL's, etc, has been important to me and my associates.

If you mainly take kid, dog, and vacation pictures, almost any brand will suffice. When it becomes time to replace my phone soon, it's sort of a big deal when a tool in your day to day operation is taken away from you. It's not complaining if you need and have been relying on the function.
    08-17-11 10:22 AM

Last and most importantly - lol...keep those cute kids smothered in sun-block! The sun is VERY damaging and we don't realize it until it's too late.

No worries... He is in the shade or greased in 60 SPF.

I have the same fair skin and had sunburns a few times as a kid so i'm extra careful with him.

He just started walking yesterday lol.
    08-17-11 10:25 AM
    Pretty much right. We don't want, or need a pro camera, just with features for biz we have depended on for a while now. I got into the game with a Tour and now Bolds. Making clean closeups of contracts, dataplates, BOL's, etc, has been important to me and my associates.

If you mainly take kid, dog, and vacation pictures, almost any brand will suffice. When it becomes time to replace my phone soon, it's sort of a big deal when a tool in your day to day operation is taken away from you. It's not complaining if you need and have been relying on the function.
    Is zooming down to 3-4 or even less, readable words really not enough? I's not like you're making certified copies with it.
    08-17-11 10:29 AM
    Awesome pics of very cute kids. Camera looks more than good enough. I've also heard and seen on videos of it that the camera is much snappier and therefore captures moments better (since kids don't stand still very long).
    Thanks for these.
    08-17-11 10:31 AM
    Awesome pics of very cute kids. Camera looks more than good enough. I've also heard and seen on videos of it that the camera is much snappier and therefore captures moments better (since kids don't stand still very long).
    Thanks for these.
    On sports mode it is incredibly fast, you can actually shake the phone and pics come out clear anyway.
    08-17-11 10:40 AM
    Is zooming down to 3-4 or even less, readable words really not enough? I's not like you're making certified copies with it.
    Thanks for the pics post. You have a creative workaround and the technique may be acceptable for some docs.
    08-17-11 10:44 AM
    Bold 9900 owners will be easily spotted in restaurants, stepping on chairs to take pictures of their meal or the menu
    08-17-11 10:46 AM
    Bold 9900 owners will be easily spotted in restaurants, stepping on chairs to take pictures of their meal or the menu
    HAhahaha thats a good one.
    08-17-11 10:57 AM
    Lol, unless it's a menu for ants or you're trying to take a picture of the small print disclaimer, I don't think so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 11:10 AM
    On the other hand, if you have a bad back it's a winner, you don't need to bend down lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    08-17-11 11:11 AM
    ...But I am a firm believer that you pick the device that's right for you. I think many loyal BB users have been waiting for this device for so long they can deal with the camera....
    Yes and no. After the Curve (1 day) and Storm (1 also, ugh) I've had the Tour then Bold for the past 2 years. I've used their cameras very regularly on the job to photo various parts and documents to send to my partner. It has become an invaluable tool.

To those who say use a camera, well, if my camera could instantly email or text that pic to someone, point me to it.

But the past 1,000 months of anticipating the 9930, and calling it a "Bold Touch" (even think I heard it called the 9650 on steroids), gave the impression that no current Bold features would be lost or compromised.

Being stuck on VZW with 9 lines between business and family (who I'm for the most part very happy with) there are not a lot of BB options WITH REAL KEYS at the moment to choose from. So while being able to pick the device that's right theoretically sounds good, it's just not always possible. And very understandable to be extremely disappointed.

BTW, I had come to this topic to post the same trick of stepping back and zooming in. Definitely an improvement, but not always practical - sometimes I'm taking pics of a part in a tight dark place where the flash would never reach if done that way. Could always carry a spotlight now....

(CX, always wanted to ask...it's you I'd seen years ago on HowardForums, right??!)
    08-17-11 11:15 AM
    Yes and no. After the Curve (1 day) and Storm (1 also, ugh) I've had the Tour then Bold for the past 2 years. I've used their cameras very regularly on the job to photo various parts and documents to send to my partner. It has become an invaluable tool.

To those who say use a camera, well, if my camera could instantly email or text that pic to someone, point me to it.

But the past 1,000 months of anticipating the 9930, and calling it a "Bold Touch" (even think I heard it called the 9650 on steroids), gave the impression that no current Bold features would be lost or compromised.

Being stuck on VZW with 9 lines between business and family (who I'm for the most part very happy with) there are not a lot of BB options WITH REAL KEYS at the moment to choose from. So while being able to pick the device that's right theoretically sounds good, it's just not always possible. And very understandable to be extremely disappointed.

BTW, I had come to this topic to post the same trick of stepping back and zooming in. Definitely an improvement, but not always practical - sometimes I'm taking pics of a part in a tight dark place where the flash would never reach if done that way. Could always carry a spotlight now....

(CX, always wanted to ask...it's you I'd seen years ago on HowardForums, right??!)
    Yes it was. Haven't been there in what seems like ages. I hate that you've been waiting on this device only to bet let down. People can try and minimize the camera issue if they want, but I've never seen any of these people sticking up for it say the camera in their 9700/80, 9650 or 9800 saying it's too slow and they wished they had one much faster. In fact most people raved about how good the auto focus camera was, and now it's just not a big deal there isn't one. Furthermore if the EDoF camera was so darned good, why isn't RIM using it in all of it's new OS 7 devices? Especially if it's truly that good. It's quite amusing.
    Anyhow it's not so bad that people can't make it work, but the Bold isn't the undisputed Flagship device anymore. I think that now lies with the 9850/60 with has an AF camera and a higher res screen. Either way the 9900 is a good device. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.
    08-17-11 11:23 AM
    Crap, I can't find the review which actually showed a picture of food. I could definitely tell by the picture it was a soup-ish substance. Didn't look like he was standing on a table, maybe it was a big ad lol
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    08-17-11 11:27 AM
    I've just noticed if you pull back and zoom in but this time in close up mode works even better, judge for yourselves.
    08-17-11 11:35 AM
    I've just noticed if you pull back and zoom in but this time in close up mode works even better, judge for yourselves.
    Interesting work around.
    08-17-11 11:39 AM
    Nice, thanks for that tip!
    08-17-11 11:48 AM
    WOW, those pictures look good. You sure thats not a high tech "camera" .....oh wait a minute its a BLACKBERRY . Good Job
    08-17-11 11:51 AM
    what do you mean by this?

increase the distance from the camera to the picture? and use the digital zoom on the phone to take the picture?
    08-17-11 12:05 PM
    what do you mean by this?

increase the distance from the camera to the picture? and use the digital zoom on the phone to take the picture?
    That's exactly right, and here's one using the flash, which seems to help a lot. That paper strip is tiny, other 9900 users can confirm.
    08-17-11 12:13 PM
793 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD