Then don't buy this phone. Get one of the others. Its really that simple. :-). Yea the 9780 takes better pics up close and maybe period but the 9900 takes them faster for quick shots. Also the video is way better. Flagship better :-).
    You do realize that you can switch from single shot to continuous mode within Auto Focus on the the 9810 for faster shots, or even turn off auto focus altogether for the same "take them faster for quick shots" experience you're hyping (not to mention getting the same "way better" video), don't you? Perhaps it's the real "flagship," then.

Stop being so defensive about the freakin' camera. It's a subpar camera on an otherwise excellent device. Nobody and nothing is perfect.
    kirson likes this.
    08-17-11 06:36 AM
    You do realize that you can switch from single shot to continuous mode within Auto Focus on the the 9810 for faster shots, or even turn off auto focus altogether for the same "take them faster for quick shots" experience you're hyping (not to mention getting the same "way better" video), don't you? Perhaps it's the real "flagship," then.

Stop being so defensive about the freakin' camera. It's a subpar camera on an otherwise excellent device. Nobody and nothing is perfect.
    Yep sure do had one of them too (9800). As far as being defensive...nope not at all. Just stating facts. I could honestly care less if you or him buys the phone. I like mine. Really like it and that's what's important to me. Some people without the state "facts". Just giving my "opinions" from owning it. Take it for what its worth about .02. :-)
    08-17-11 06:41 AM

I disagree, I find the camera amazing coming from a 9700. As I said, the pics get uploaded at around 500kb, the real size is 1.4 mb
    Sure, you can adjust settings on autofocus devices but the camera still pauses slightly to focus, it's not eliminated completely and when you think you have a clear focus, after the shot you are presented with a blurry version.

I am 100% happy with this camera

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 06:53 AM
    Here's a classic example of the autofocus fail, taken with my 9700 in auto mode. This will never happen with the 9900 camera.
    08-17-11 07:00 AM

Agreed. The last few BB's I owned have taken great pictures, and they had only a 3.2mp camera. The difference is auto focus, the Bold 9650 had it, the original Storm had it but sadly the new 9930 doesn't. Makes no sense.

All of you that keep saying the 9930's camera takes great shots are right, it does! It takes great shots as long as you don't try to take an up close picture, that is where auto focus is really used and needed and that is where the 9930's camera fails.
    reddoorway likes this.
    08-17-11 07:07 AM
    Comparison shots: the first is without auto focus and the second is with AF.

ysss likes this.
    08-17-11 07:14 AM
    Comparison shots: the first is without auto focus and the second is with AF.

My thing is nobody or at least I am not saying otherwise. Its a no brainer the auto focus takes better macro shots. For every day shots I like this one just as much.

This is really pointless seems the same thing is said over and over different ways. I am enjoying this phone more than any other at the moment and that's what counts
    08-17-11 07:21 AM
    Mine is due to arrive today, will check the camera out. Not expecting much since there is no room for real optics or the required mechanisms.
    I don't expect my phone to be an awesome camera, I have dedicated hardware for that.
    Physics...
    johnmarki likes this.
    08-17-11 07:21 AM
    My phone's better than.....your phone.......I'm thinking we all just survive in Crackberry Nation.
    Some like the 9900, some the 9810. Heck, my daughter has my old 9K and she loves that!!!
    Personally....I've owned the 8300, 8310, 9000, 9700, 9800 and most likely the 9900. The 9900 seems to have everything I NEED and I'm certainly not simple minded and/or arrogant enough to tell a 9810 lover why the 9900 is better for THEM
    This whole 9900 vs. 9810 auto focus vs always focus is starting to sound like Droid/iBone smack.
    Maybe we should all just be "Crackheads" and "prefer" one device over another because of what we, as an individuals, like in a device.
    I'm out
    ratchetjaw#AC and johnmarki like this.
    08-17-11 07:22 AM
    My phone's better than.....your phone.......I'm thinking we all just survive in Crackberry Nation.
    Some like the 9900, some the 9810. Heck, my daughter has my old 9K and she loves that!!!
    Personally....I've owned the 8300, 8310, 9000, 9700, 9800 and most likely the 9900. The 9900 seems to have everything I NEED and I'm certainly not simple minded and/or arrogant enough to tell a 9810 lover why the 9900 is better for THEM
    This whole 9900 vs. 9810 auto focus vs always focus is starting to sound like Droid/iBone smack.
    Maybe we should all just be "Crackheads" and "prefer" one device over another because of what we, as an individuals, like in a device.
    I'm out
    You're asking people on here to behave in a mature manner? Unfortunately, I don't think people on here are capable of that. The amount of "no autofocus" threads on this forum and the amount of crying over Kevin's "biased" 9860 review is evidence of that.

In fact, most members on here are more annoying than a lot of die-hard iPhone/Android users I know. Sad.

08-17-11 07:28 AM
    My thing is nobody or at least I am not saying otherwise. Its a no brainer the auto focus takes better macro shots. For every day shots I like this one just as much.

This is really pointless seems the same thing is said over and over different ways. I am enjoying this phone more than any other at the moment and that's what counts
    I agree, if the device suits your needs then that is all that matters. What bugs me is people who keep trying to pass off the lack of AF as no biggie, it is in fact a huge omission by RIM. It's because of this omission that my wife and I will not be buying this device, which sucks.

The other thing ive noticed is that RIM fanboys are eerily similar to iPhone fanboys. For the record I have an iPhone 4 as my main device, but by no means am I a fanboy. I could easily switch to a new and better device tomorrow if there was a device worth switching to. But just like iPhone fanboys, I am witnessing RIM fanboys defending RIM to the death over the omission of an important feature. . I reminds me of when apple left out mms on their first iPhone.
    reddoorway and vrs626 like this.
    08-17-11 07:33 AM
    Okay, I hate to beat this more, but can I just say I was playing around with my 9930 and there's a "text" scene mode (description: ideal for capturing text on white backgrounds; enhances detail and sharpness of text). It's honestly not that bad. I think the pictures are clearer overall (low light and especially outdoors) than my Tour. No autofocus may suck for a while, but this camera has some pretty good shots.

Plus the text I took a shot of for fun on the "text" scene mode came out way better than the one on "auto" or "close up" scene modes. It's pretty clear. Maybe not as clear as shots with autofocus, but they were pretty darn good considering the expectations everyone has of this camera.
    Hi, would u (or anyone else with Bold Touch) mind showing us a pic of a document taken with "text" scene mode? Perhaps, the front page of a newspaper? Just to see how it looks like.
    Thanks.
    08-17-11 07:44 AM
    You're asking people on here to behave in a mature manner? Unfortunately, I don't think people on here are capable of that. The amount of "no autofocus" threads on this forum and the amount of crying over Kevin's "biased" 9860 review is evidence of that.

In fact, most members on here are more annoying than a lot of die-hard iPhone/Android users I know. Sad.

I concur......sad, but true. I'll probably do something I've never done before: WAIT.....until they are both out and compare. I've already told my salesman I'll use the 9810 for a cpl weeks then the 9900. I'll decide for myself and be happy w/my decision.
    08-17-11 07:50 AM
    I agree, if the device suits your needs then that is all that matters. What bugs me is people who keep trying to pass off the lack of AF as no biggie, it is in fact a huge omission by RIM. It's because of this omission that my wife and I will not be buying this device, which sucks.

The other thing ive noticed is that RIM fanboys are eerily similar to iPhone fanboys. For the record I have an iPhone 4 as my main device, but by no means am I a fanboy. I could easily switch to a new and better device tomorrow if there was a device worth switching to. But just like iPhone fanboys, I am witnessing RIM fanboys defending RIM to the death over the omission of an important feature. . I reminds me of when apple left out mms on their first iPhone.
    Its called an opinion. It may not be a big deal for "THEM". If it really grind your gears then get the phone that works for you and your wife. Me and my wife have different phone. See likes android right now and I'm blackberry to the death. It all about what works for you. No need to bash or disagree with someone else. Just do you!

08-17-11 07:54 AM
    I talked a lot of **** about the camera at first. But its basically the same as my playbook and I love it.
    Last edited by ericlc2; 08-17-11 at 08:04 AM.
    smileymickey likes this.
    08-17-11 07:59 AM
    What are you on about sir. I honestly don't know why you spend so much time here bashing this device yet it is glaringly evident from your carrier, that you have not seen/tested it first hand. I am all for constructive criticism and try my hardest to ignore your posts, but you my friend get on my nerves. This thread is talking about the camera which you have bashed in every thread it is even mentioned in, now you are going on about a PDF scanner.

Sorry, I will ban myself now. At least from responding to your never-ending rants.

It's pointless for you to argue against both the validity and popularity of the blackberry scanner APP, Sir...
    ...Convince an individual with a 9900 to simply produce one from their phone.
    ...Next, study the pdf and attempt to discover why you can't read it.

You can't argue that one of the most popular apps created for the blackberry isn't important to the majority of bb users any more than you can tell the guy who has been using that app for years to record and turn-in receipts to his admin office that he has never had that ability on his smartphone OR that if needs to have that ability why can't he just go buy a scanner.

As I've said numerous times, that's exactly the attitude which has RIM swimming with the turds right now. We need to break this habbit and think more logically - such as what do we want to do TODAY so that we can re-claim almost 70 % of our business customers we have ALREADY lost to Apple and Droid over exactly the type of logic many here have shown. I.E. go buy a real camera, go buy a scanner, etc.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-17-11 at 08:13 AM.
    08-17-11 08:09 AM
    I've been thinking of buying this phone, but after I heard that the photo quality sucks during close-ups, I decided to move on and look for an alternative qwerty phone.

Thought about the new Nokia E6, but the specs are a bit low range to me. The pinch zoom also lags, which is a no for me.

After seeing this thread, it makes me want it, after seeing reasonable quality photo shots. The close-up shots really do suck though, but I think I can live with it.

Thanks
    08-17-11 08:17 AM
    I'm not going to be using this phone as a "professional camera".. like some of you are expecting it to be. Hey, it's a new BB.. it's fast.. it's got a nice new keyboard. Takes decent pics, decent video. That's good enough for me. It's not all about the camera. Heck, from the sample photos, they look a lot better than my 9650. Just my two cents.
    08-17-11 08:57 AM
    Not only amazing camera but soooo cute kids!

Thank you!
    08-17-11 09:07 AM
    I'm not going to be using this phone as a "professional camera".. like some of you are expecting it to be.
    It seems that many people are missing the point. It's not that people want a professional camera out of this cell phone, but that people don't understand why the quality of the images has degraded with the latest model when compared with the previous generations.

Yeah, the 9900's camera is fine. It works. But why is it only fine and not better than the cameras found in the previous generations of phones? That's the issue.
    08-17-11 09:14 AM

You are in low light-just like when using a normal camera, you need to use a flash, or image stabilization. Shoot the same thing using your flash this time.
    guerllamo7 likes this.
    08-17-11 09:21 AM
    Yes I agree with ifarlow.

I mean its not a cheap phone, so I at least expect it to be better than the previous phones. Why can Nokia E6 do it and not BB 9900?

E6 has amazing pictures at 8MP, and almost half the price of a 9900.

If they had A-F on the 9900, it would own every phone on the market. But now, I see many ppl being disapointed because it lacks.
    It seems that many people are missing the point. It's not that people want a professional camera out of this cell phone, but that people don't understand why the quality of the images has degraded with the latest model when compared with the previous generations.

Yeah, the 9900's camera is fine. It works. But why is it only fine and not better than the cameras found in the previous generations of phones? That's the issue.
    It's you that's missing the point, yes, we know the close up quality is not as good but the camera takes beautiful shots, and you could take pics off the back of a rodeo bull and the pics will be as clear as if you had the camera on a tripod.
    It's very fast and very good.

I just showed a mate how I could hold the camera in front of me and shake it while pressing the button and the pic came out with no blur whatsoever.

I'm glad you're liking it rachet!! As you said it works for you & that's all that really matters, whether we disagree about the camera or not. BlackBerry users have waited what seems like an eternity for some good hardware and finally received it. Enjoy it. It's only the beginning.

@cenloe I agree about the fanboy thing and if it was the iPhone 5 that had lack of AF, OMG it would be the end of the world. But I am a firm believer that you pick the device that's right for you. I think many loyal BB users have been waiting for this device for so long they can deal with the camera. It's def not AF, but good for anything up close so I think that makes it usable for most. )
    ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    08-17-11 09:23 AM
    I'm "patiently" waiting for this phone to be available on Sprint, otherwise I'd post a pic here myself to stay relevant to what this thread was created for... Wanted to thank the OP and the posters who actually posted a pic, as well as give a big F U to all the ninnies and complainers about the lack of AF. TFB, keep crying!
    08-17-11 09:29 AM
793 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD