snapped me one. Its business worthy
    OniBerry, Nickerz, sivan and 2 others like this.
    08-16-11 02:26 PM
    First, THANK YOU FOR POSTING PICS!!! It made me nervous when most here were defending the 9900's ability of taking good pics and then they wouldn't post pics! ??? How hard was it to put the argument to rest? Seemed like the answer was obvious at that point, but then these pics look great.

Second, I am one that is not happy about some close-up pics that were posted and again, the concern is with close-up pics of text. The ones I saw didn't look good at all. Just 2 days ago, I had to snap pics of a vitamin bottle label and send it to my wife to see if this had the right amount of vitamins she was looking for (it was small print but my 9700 got it perfectly and clearly). So now I'm wondering if I could have done this with a 9900. I know it's not the end of the world but this was what I needed just 2 days ago and I'm sure I can come up with other examples as to why I want these type of pics to be legible on my 9900 if I get one.

Last and most importantly - lol...keep those cute kids smothered in sun-block! The sun is VERY damaging and we don't realize it until it's too late.

Again, thanks for posting pics! I look forward to seeing others pics but this along with recent reviews has me still considering the 9900. However, I have created a list of other cons, aside from the pics that I'm not sure I can live with. I'm still sitting on the fence.
    08-16-11 02:53 PM

snapped me one. Its business worthy
    This pic doesn't look that great but I feel if a 9700 or 9780 took the pic, would it look any different?

Here are the pics I snapped with my 9700 just to compare.

Again, I've got nothing to hide here...I'm willing to admit if my 9700 pics are worse, equal or better than the 9900. So here they are...
    08-16-11 03:08 PM
    There is an obvious difference between the 9700 pics and the 9900 pics (talking about the latest close-up pictures). While the 9900 pics are ok, the 9700 pics are amazingly clear.

Yeah, the 9900 will work in a pinch, but why oh why can't it perform at least as well as the 9700?

*sigh*
    08-16-11 03:13 PM
    Pictures look great (for a Blackberry).
    Thinking of picking one up real soon.
    jason18 likes this.
    08-16-11 03:17 PM
    No, not even close. Here's a blog post comparing the camera on the 9900 to the 9780.

BlackBerry Bold 9900 Camera Comparison | CrackBerry.com

Wow! After looking at this comparison between a 9780 and 9900, some of the 9900 pics look good but the 9780 pics put it in perspective of how inferior the 9900 pics seem to look. Just my opinion.
    MKDS likes this.
    08-16-11 03:40 PM
    We're still talking about a smartphone camera right? For goodness sakes... I checked out the 9780 9900 camera comparison link posted earlier - In my opinion both phones take reasonable photos - yes the 9780 is better, especially up close. But let's keep things in perspective... This is a smartphone... And it takes wonderful photos. When I spend 5k+ on a vacation.... I bring a real camera. In almost all other occasions (in my life) the 5mp edof is plenty fine. Let's keep things in perspective.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 07:04 PM
    Q : does 9900 can zoom in video recording ? During recording i mean because with my tourch 9800 i have to zoom before i start recording !
    08-16-11 07:46 PM
    Q : does 9900 can zoom in video recording ? During recording i mean because with my tourch 9800 i have to zoom before i start recording !
    I would also like to know this as the same goes with my Curve 3G - And I am too going to upgrade to a Bold 9900 and this feature would be really helpful for me! It bugs me that I cant zoom in or out while recording
    08-16-11 07:54 PM
    If you want to see a comparison between the three cameras check the photo section of the reviews on engadget - you can clearly see the 9900 is inferior in every way.. all pics look washed out in comparison with the torches which sucks big time for me because as countless people here have said.. I don't always carry a dedicated camera with me wherever I go but I know I can trust my 9800's camera to take excellent quality pics whenever I need it to.

I won't go as far as saying it is a deal-breaker but it's a mayor bummer for sure .
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    08-16-11 07:56 PM
    KrizM23 --- can you post a link to that engadget site???

I purchased my bold through Verizon last night but if these pictures are that bad i'm really considering canceling my order... this would be a deal breaker to me and i've been waiting on this release of this phone for almost a year and am so sick of not having a keyboard on this iphone 4....... i completely stopped texting and writing long emails, feel completely out of touch with this toy.... fingers crossed the camera is at least up to PAR

PLEASE KEEP POSTING PHOTO SAMPLES AND MORE COMPARISONS IT'S EXTREMELY HELPFUL
    Last edited by edhgreatone; 08-16-11 at 08:28 PM.
    08-16-11 08:25 PM
    I just googled the engagdet website to look at myself;
    Engadget
    jason18 likes this.
    08-16-11 08:33 PM
    KrizM23 --- can you post a link to that engadget site???

I purchased my bold through Verizon last night but if these pictures are that bad i'm really considering canceling my order... this would be a deal breaker to me and i've been waiting on this release of this phone for almost a year and am so sick of not having a keyboard on this iphone 4....... i completely stopped texting and writing long emails, feel completely out of touch with this toy.... fingers crossed the camera is at least up to PAR

PLEASE KEEP POSTING PHOTO SAMPLES AND MORE COMPARISONS IT'S EXTREMELY HELPFUL
    Here you go. Check the camera section of each review

BlackBerry Torch 9850 review -- Engadget

BlackBerry Bold 9930 review -- Engadget

BlackBerry Torch 9810 review -- Engadget

It's so frustrating because I've been dying to get the 9900 since it was announced and it looks so damn good.. Plus there is nothing like a Bold keyboard.. not even the Torch comes close :@
    Last edited by KrizM23; 08-16-11 at 08:57 PM.
    edhgreatone likes this.
    08-16-11 08:51 PM
    appreciate it...

well I mean, is it noticeable... yes. --- but at the same time is it that bad... no.

i'd consider myself pretty decent with photoshop and you could make some minor adjustments to bring out the clarity... leads me to believe that there maybe an opportunity for some software tweaks to help this issue... I don't think it'll ever be as clear without the acgtual hardware but photo tweaks can be pretty impressive, some of the latest cameras don't have a flash but it can enlighten the photo when completely dark... i'm just trying to justify spending +$500 .... whats the return policy 14 days it is?

and I couldn't agree with you more... my fiance has a torch and I like it but the keyboard but i don't love it... its just too flat and doesn't have the keys petruding as much
    Last edited by edhgreatone; 08-16-11 at 09:24 PM.
    08-16-11 09:19 PM
    After reading many posts/reviews regarding the camera, it is not all that bad (close-ups) as long as you can hold a steady hand. Very satisfied with the picture qualities after picking up my 9900 this morning!

08-16-11 09:49 PM
    Okay, I hate to beat this more, but can I just say I was playing around with my 9930 and there's a "text" scene mode (description: ideal for capturing text on white backgrounds; enhances detail and sharpness of text). It's honestly not that bad. I think the pictures are clearer overall (low light and especially outdoors) than my Tour. No autofocus may suck for a while, but this camera has some pretty good shots.

Plus the text I took a shot of for fun on the "text" scene mode came out way better than the one on "auto" or "close up" scene modes. It's pretty clear. Maybe not as clear as shots with autofocus, but they were pretty darn good considering the expectations everyone has of this camera.
    08-16-11 11:21 PM
    I think this will work. I rarely take pictures with my 9780 because it's a hassle. If I can just pull the phone out of my pocket, snap a photo and put it back in a couple of seconds, well that's kinda what a Blackberry is good at, no?
    08-17-11 02:12 AM
    We're still talking about a smartphone camera right? For goodness sakes... I checked out the 9780 9900 camera comparison link posted earlier - In my opinion both phones take reasonable photos - yes the 9780 is better, especially up close. But let's keep things in perspective... This is a smartphone... And it takes wonderful photos. When I spend 5k+ on a vacation.... I bring a real camera. In almost all other occasions (in my life) the 5mp edof is plenty fine. Let's keep things in perspective.

We are keeping it in perspective, the camera is sub-par compared to previous offerings and that's a fact. It may not matter to you or many others but there are those that do care about that aspect and it won't cut the mustard. And nobody stated they wanted to use it to take their vacation photos but I did take my 9700 on my last trip lol... Must say my 9700 has been stellar in that department, work and all.

Yes I'm beating a dead horse and everyone has heard it umteen times before but the same goes for the positive comments praising RIM for for such a �sleek�, �dreamy�, �awesome�, �state-of-the-art�, �best thing since sliced bread� phone... Everyone has a right to their opinion and in this case the camera �sucks� and RIM short changed those requiring that aspect of it.

The camera is one of the very reasons I chose not to purchase the �flagship� model, there were other shortcomings but this was my main concern... 2011 my ars!
    anon(2729369) and reddoorway like this.
    08-17-11 02:48 AM
    We are keeping it in perspective, the camera is sub-par compared to previous offerings and that's a fact. It may not matter to you or many others but there are those that do care about that aspect and it won't cut the mustard. And nobody stated they wanted to use it to take their vacation photos but I did take my 9700 on my last trip lol... Must say my 9700 has been stellar in that department, work and all.

Yes I'm beating a dead horse and everyone has heard it umteen times before but the same goes for the positive comments praising RIM for for such a �sleek�, �dreamy�, �awesome�, �state-of-the-art�, �best thing since sliced bread� phone... Everyone has a right to their opinion and in this case the camera �sucks� and RIM short changed those requiring that aspect of it.

The camera is one of the very reasons I chose not to purchase the �flagship� model, there were other shortcomings but this was my main concern... 2011 my ars!
    Then don't buy this phone. Get one of the others. Its really that simple. :-). Yea the 9780 takes better pics up close and maybe period but the 9900 takes them faster for quick shots. Also the video is way better. Flagship better :-).
    08-17-11 02:53 AM
    Then don't buy this phone. Get one of the others. Its really that simple. :-). Yea the 9780 takes better pics up close and maybe period but the 9900 takes them faster for quick shots. Also the video is way better. Flagship better :-).

Don't plan on getting it like I said.

So we give up "macro� for �quicker�... Have to say that with the thousands, that's right thousands of photos I've taken with my 9700 that hasn't been much of an issue, rarely have the need to delete a �bad� photo... Guess I must be doing something right or am just lucky. My other (non BB) phone takes them quick w/good quality and also does HD better than the reviews I've seen so far using the 9900 �and� can do macro shots.

The big deal is that their predecessors incorporated this feature yet they chose to omit it not to mention downsizing the battery, outdated software etc. For that matter RIM chose at a late stage to up the processor and ram which makes one wonder.

Yes I'm whining again on a forum that is only for help/praise of RIM's devices but couldn't resist... And to boot I don't even plan on purchasing any of their new offerings.
    08-17-11 03:42 AM
    Don't plan on getting it like I said.

So we give up "macro” for “quicker”... Have to say that with the thousands, that's right thousands of photos I've taken with my 9700 that hasn't been much of an issue, rarely have the need to delete a “bad” photo... Guess I must be doing something right or am just lucky. My other (non BB) phone takes them quick w/good quality and also does HD better than the reviews I've seen so far using the 9900 “and” can do macro shots.

The big deal is that their predecessors incorporated this feature yet they chose to omit it not to mention downsizing the battery, outdated software etc. For that matter RIM chose at a late stage to up the processor and ram which makes one wonder.

Yes I'm whining again on a forum that is only for help/praise of RIM's devices but couldn't resist... And to boot I don't even plan on purchasing any of their new offerings.
    I have a 9700 also had a 9780. The 9780 took fantastic pics and good video(not as good as the 9900) but good. I have an iphone 4 also and it takes good ones also. I am no OS fanboy( although i am becoming a big fan of the 9900 ).

My battery got me through today which was the first full day. No its not as good as prior BB but as a complete phone its better than all i mentioned.

Oh and what is it with all the macro shots lol. I took some they look okay.Functional for work and/or good enough for facebook.
    Last edited by ratchetjaw; 08-17-11 at 03:57 AM.
    08-17-11 03:54 AM
    I have a 9700 also had a 9780. The 9780 took fantastic pics and good video(not as good as the 9900) but good. I have an iphone 4 also and it takes good ones also. I am no OS fanboy( although i am becoming a big fan of the 9900 ).

My battery got me through today which was the first full day. No its not as good as prior BB but as a complete phone its better than all i mentioned.

Oh and what is it with all the macro shots lol. I took some they look okay.Functional for work and/or good enough for facebook.

Preferably for me I think the phone should be capable of taking photos under a variety of conditions, by eliminating the closeups they have dictated it's intended uses for many... Now �FAST� snapshots that are good is something that I think should be left up to a DSLR and not a smartphone, think more business people using their BB's for work would have to agree as I doubt they are trying to capture that once in a life time shot... BB's were business oriented first were they not?

Being one who owns about 35 devices that are able to take photos/video I have a pretty good idea how it all works and what to expect from each, my 9700 takes more usable photos than some of my dedicated digital's on a shot-per-shot basis. Used my 9700 at the Abbatsford airshow this past weekend just for those �quick� Facebook shots (had my DSLR for the real important stuff) and I can't say one photo was unusable, not all perfect but that happens with my other cameras too.

And no I do not take lots of macro shots (only 5-8 percent) but it's nice when I do need it and can accomplish that feat without a hassle. A few have mentioned editing the photo on ones PC or other device but then it no longer becomes a smartphone or even doing it on the phone itself suddenly slows down the whole process (pain)... Just don't want mediocre photos either but decent will suffice... We all have our own differentiation on words and that's mine.

The battery longevity debate is still up in the air for me as it will take a bit longer for that to unfold, so far though it's not looking great but we will wait and see what the final consensus is.

Oh... My intent was to get the 9900 until I read the reviews/comments posted so far, will keep reading and may see if I can try one first hand which just might alter my decision but at this point it's a no-go.
    08-17-11 05:02 AM
    Preferably for me I think the phone should be capable of taking photos under a variety of conditions, by eliminating the closeups they have dictated it's intended uses for many... Now �FAST� snapshots that are good is something that I think should be left up to a DSLR and not a smartphone, think more business people using their BB's for work would have to agree as I doubt they are trying to capture that once in a life time shot... BB's were business oriented first were they not?

Being one who owns about 35 devices that are able to take photos/video I have a pretty good idea how it all works and what to expect from each, my 9700 takes more usable photos than some of my dedicated digital's on a shot-per-shot basis. Used my 9700 at the Abbatsford airshow this past weekend just for those �quick� Facebook shots (had my DSLR for the real important stuff) and I can't say one photo was unusable, not all perfect but that happens with my other cameras too.

And no I do not take lots of macro shots (only 5-8 percent) but it's nice when I do need it and can accomplish that feat without a hassle. A few have mentioned editing the photo on ones PC or other device but then it no longer becomes a smartphone or even doing it on the phone itself suddenly slows down the whole process (pain)... Just don't want mediocre photos either but decent will suffice... We all have our own differentiation on words and that's mine.

The battery longevity debate is still up in the air for me as it will take a bit longer for that to unfold, so far though it's not looking great but we will wait and see what the final consensus is.

Oh... My intent was to get the 9900 until I read the reviews/comments posted so far, will keep reading and may see if I can try one first hand which just might alter my decision but at this point it's a no-go.
    You see, I don't think you realize how FAST the camera really is, practically impossible to get a blurry shot.

First pic was taken in sports mode while I was violently shaking the phone left to right in front of me, the second in auto mode while I was moving my extended hand from left to right and the last one in sports mode with the truck passing at around 20mph right in front of me.

Bare in mind the photos upload at a third of the full size and quality.
    08-17-11 05:35 AM
    You see, I don't think you realize how FAST the camera really is, practically impossible to get a blurry shot.

First pic was taken in sports mode while I was violently shaking the phone left to right in front of me, the second in auto mode while I was moving my extended hand from left to right and the last one in sports mode with the truck passing at around 20mph right in front of me.

Impressive!! Who needs auto focus?!
    08-17-11 06:29 AM

That's all I need in a phone camera. Thanks for posting. Have you tried doing a screen capture during video playback? I'm curious how the images would compare.
    08-17-11 06:31 AM
793 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD