My cousin gave me his Bold. I went the the desktop manager (v.4.6), and used the Device switch Wizard to move my address book and all my apps over. Everything went fine untill I went to actually use the phone.

1. It's saying "Insert SIM" even though my sim is in there

2. I went to settings>options>mobile network and it's showing t-mobile for some reason (this i can't figure out for the life of me)

3. It shows SOS where the signal is (which i guess it should since it won't let me use the sim card)

I know this is not a T-mobile phone, and it is not hacked in any way.
    Should I just take it to a AT&T store and see what they can do, or is there a way aroudn this

thanks
    Krishna

EDIT* - I put my sim into my 8110 and it's showing tat it reads my number, however where the swignal bar is, it shows OFF
    and when I put the sim back in the bold, it shows unknown number
    Last edited by thekrishna; 06-27-09 at 01:16 PM.
    06-27-09 01:02 PM
    Sounds like the phone is locked to T-Mobile so it doesn't accept your SIM.
    06-27-09 01:29 PM
    i had a customer who had almost the same problem. but his phone was a bbpearl. we tried his sim on other phones as well as my bb bold. and with other phones it said sim inactive.
    on my bold it had no reception.
    tried a battery pull even cleaned his simcard using a pencil eraser. didnt work.
    checked for water damage, there was none.
    i put my sim on his bbpearl but just got stuck on the loading screen with the hourglass.
    he ended up buying a prepaid phone for AT&t until he could upgrade to another blackberry.

and by the way his simcard was the old sim that cingular had (32k sim). he also did a previous update on his pearl before it got messed up.
    dont know if that plays a role in messing things up for him.

i just had to share this.sorry if i had no solution.
    06-27-09 01:32 PM
    You can try getting a new SIM. AT&T replaces them for free.
    06-27-09 01:33 PM
    Sounds like the phone is locked to T-Mobile so it doesn't accept your SIM.
    i dont think tmobile sells the BOLD. so how could be locked with tmobile?
    06-27-09 01:33 PM
    You can try getting a new SIM. AT&T replaces them for free.
    not all the time.
    06-27-09 01:34 PM
    The whole t-mobile thing went away and the phone is back on the AT&T service, however nothing is working

I called AT&T customer service and they swtiched the IMEI number and that didn't work. Went the AT&T store, got a new sim card and that didn't work at all.
    I'm gonna try putting the OS back on.
    06-27-09 05:40 PM
    updated to os .282 and the same thing, "insert sim card"
    06-27-09 07:20 PM
    did your cousin have any issues with the phone?
    06-27-09 07:26 PM
    my cousin had no issues what so ever with the phone
    06-28-09 02:03 AM
    ok tried wiping my pearl clean and same thing

then tried restoring it from the back up i originally did before i did the device switch wizard, and nothing again

Please if anyone has any info, I am out of a phone now and do not have the money to go get a new phone (even cheap)
    06-28-09 02:26 AM
    you will have to reload the service books from AT&T and also changing the network settings in your ADVANCE OPTIONS > TCP/IP configurations. You can get the settings from AT&T who will supply you with a password for your APN settings through the TCP/IP configurations menu.

Also, you will have to manualy register the phone with AT&T's BIS website.
    Last edited by fabuloso; 06-28-09 at 02:42 AM.
    06-28-09 02:35 AM
    I can't reload the service books because the phone isn't receiving or sending data. The whole T Mobile thing is back (the CSR i just spoke to said the phone for some stupid reason is hitting on a t-mobile tower)

I did however get signal for all of 1 second before the phone went to SOS!

this is killing me
    06-28-09 05:10 AM
    anyone else got anything?
    06-28-09 03:47 PM
    You might as well take it to att store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 04:05 PM
    Seems like something isn't right with your SIM card. As if it wasn't provisioned correctly? Just go back to an AT&T corporate store and explain in detail the problems you're having.
    06-28-09 04:11 PM
    fianally a AT&T rep was able to help me. He explained to me that even though I didn't buy the phone, since I could verify the original owner (my cousin) that it shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced. Sure enough I did and a new one is coming hopefully on tuesday.

thanks for all the help guys
    06-28-09 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD