I've got used BB 9700 Bold, and it works preety good. I don't have BIS/BES service (becouse in my country is too expencive).
    I've connected it to BB Desktop Manager and in Application section it offers me to update some stuff and install some programs. This is list:
    BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software - Update
    BlackBerry 6.0.0 Core Application - Update
    BB Messenger 5.0.2.12 - Downgrade
    Facebook 1.9 - Install
    Google Talk - Install
    Youtube - Install

For now everything works fine, I can use Internet (gprs and wifi) send and receive MMS. I don't use BBM. I am afraid that after all that upgrade it will stop working unless I get BIS.
    I have done complete backup of phone, so maybe after that I will be able to restore the way it was?
    I don't want to install FB 1.9 because I've heard that only versions up to 1.6 work without BIS.

What should I do?

Also, there is one other thing. I've created BlackBerry ID, and so did the previous owner. Problem is, when I try to login to App World with my ID and Pass it says "wrong password" (I even tried to change it. For now I can download with acc from previous owner, but I would like to start using my own account. I can login with that same account on my computer, but not from my phone.
    05-18-13 09:00 PM
    If you are happy with the way your phone is working then there is no reason to update the software. I think with BB6 OS you probably need to go into Setup > BlackBerry ID and change it there first before you can log into App World with your own ID.
    05-18-13 10:02 PM
    Yes, but problem is that there is ID of previous owner, and I cannot change it to my informations. I guess that I will must ask him to give mi his password so I can register that phone to my name. Or maybe just use it with his ID?
    05-18-13 10:23 PM
    I've got used BB 9700 Bold, and it works preety good. I don't have BIS/BES service (becouse in my country is too expencive).
    I've connected it to BB Desktop Manager and in Application section it offers me to update some stuff and install some programs. This is list:
    BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software - Update
    BlackBerry 6.0.0 Core Application - Update
    BB Messenger 5.0.2.12 - Downgrade
    Facebook 1.9 - Install
    Google Talk - Install
    Youtube - Install

For now everything works fine, I can use Internet (gprs and wifi) send and receive MMS. I don't use BBM. I am afraid that after all that upgrade it will stop working unless I get BIS.
    I have done complete backup of phone, so maybe after that I will be able to restore the way it was?
    I don't want to install FB 1.9 because I've heard that only versions up to 1.6 work without BIS.

What should I do?

Also, there is one other thing. I've created BlackBerry ID, and so did the previous owner. Problem is, when I try to login to App World with my ID and Pass it says "wrong password" (I even tried to change it. For now I can download with acc from previous owner, but I would like to start using my own account. I can login with that same account on my computer, but not from my phone.
    05-19-13 12:12 PM
    I've solved problem with BB ID, I called ex owner of phone, he gave me his password and I changed it with mine. Now all that works fine. Still there is question to update or not to update?
    05-19-13 12:24 PM
    I give a detailed inspection of updates BDM wanted to install, and it was mostly some language packs, IDK why... I also had problems with stuttering keyboard, and now I installed new .668 and all that problems are GONE! And everything works as it was minus problems. I relly tought that stuttering keyboard was hardware issue, but for now it has been few hours of typing and not a single double letter.
    05-26-13 10:31 PM