Phone freezes up while typing or scrolling through menus.

Is it possibly because I'm going from -107dBm to losing signal completely? So the phone is trying to regain signal and lags up for a couple seconds.

Still using OS .621 from out of the box. Should I try the leaked OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 06:48 PM
    Also noticed it happens more often when I receive a text or email

05-23-10 07:55 PM
    i would close all apps and see if this is still occurring ..
    05-24-10 08:16 AM
    I've seen some lagginess at times too. Usually when scrolling contacts.
    05-24-10 01:15 PM
    I'm religious about keeping apps closed. I don't notice it in decent cell coverage. However at work with bad to no signal and the phone holding onto a weak wifi signal it will lag up from time to time.

05-24-10 08:42 PM
    This is an old problem with CDMA I think. I recall the issue with my dearly beloved I500. Weak signal causes lags and even freezes.
    I still wonder whether I would get overall better reception on Sprint vs my 9700 on TMo. Thoughts?
    B B

05-25-10 03:59 AM
    well, i have been on sprint for 12yrs and dont recall this being a constant repetitive issue.

As far as reception from TMO to Sprint you need to look at the maps for where you live and travel.. as geographically, Sprints 3G footprint is #2 just behind VZ and way way ahead of ATT and TMO.. but that doesnt mean where you live!...

This is an old problem with CDMA I think. I recall the issue with my dearly beloved I500. Weak signal causes lags and even freezes.
    I still wonder whether I would get overall better reception on Sprint vs my 9700 on TMo. Thoughts?
    B B

05-25-10 06:06 AM
    well, i have been on sprint for 12yrs and dont recall this being a constant repetitive issue.

As far as reception from TMO to Sprint you need to look at the maps for where you live and travel.. as geographically, Sprints 3G footprint is #2 just behind VZ and way way ahead of ATT and TMO.. but that doesnt mean where you live!...

Thanks, in re TMo vs Sprint: I know that Sprint roams (for free) on VZ so you get VZ when you need it. My issue is really inside buildings where the TMo signal often is poor or none. Alos while my 9700 frequently shows 3G, the d/l speed on URL pages is not impressive. Those are the areas in which I would like to know whether Sprint would be better. I doubt the maps hold the real answer.

Thanks again.

B B
    05-25-10 08:08 AM
    If you want to see true "download" speeds, download Opera or Bolt or something and don't use the BB Browser. BB Browser has to go through RIM's servers, so yes, while you may be connected to 3G, RIMs servers may be swamped.

It is said that using BOLT or OPERA will not use the BIS/BES and will go directly through the phone carrier's network.
    05-25-10 08:22 AM
    My 8330 Curve iis notorious for being laggy. After a battery pull is the worst. It takes about 4 minutes for the OS to load. I then have to sit through another 5 minutes or so because the data signal continues to run. I'm basically unable to do anything until things clear up. Apps are slow, and I'm unable to move around on the device. I'm constantly clearing my event log and memory. It's very frustrating. If the 9650 does the same thing, I may look into getting something other than a BlackBerry. I was hoping the newer BlackBerry phones wouldn't have this issue. If you all are reporting it as well, this may be the last straw for me.

05-25-10 01:33 PM
    CDMA is a more modern and more complex coding scheme than GSM..which is one of the reasons why GSM phones are typically smaller and have better battery life..CDMA is just harder to do.
    the byproduct of this improved coding is that a CDMA phone will receive and hold a call with far poorer signal strength than a GSM phone.. and this pays huge dividends with the data network.. GSM usually scales back data speeds with poor signal while CDMA phone can run at full speed with a single bar on the meter.

many factors come into play inside buildings, location of the nearest tower..direction, EM fields etc.. however i would hazard a guess that for a co-located tower carrying both GSM and CDMA transmitters the penetration into buildings will be better with the CDMA..

I sugges you simply try sprint for free for 30 days and see if you can get signal to make calls and use the web at your office/whatever..

good luck!

Thanks, in re TMo vs Sprint: I know that Sprint roams (for free) on VZ so you get VZ when you need it. My issue is really inside buildings where the TMo signal often is poor or none. Alos while my 9700 frequently shows 3G, the d/l speed on URL pages is not impressive. Those are the areas in which I would like to know whether Sprint would be better. I doubt the maps hold the real answer.

Thanks again.

B B
    05-25-10 01:34 PM
    my 9650 is running smooth and strong so far... in fact, just upgraded to .699, so hopefully it makes it even a more solid experience... perhaps try this upgrade (it's the official Sprint upgrade released today)... it's NOT a leak...
    05-25-10 03:04 PM
    yeah i just updated phone to .699.

don't work again til wednesday so i won't know if it still lags up until than. been good so far.
    05-25-10 03:15 PM
    so i am waiting for a good reason to bother to upgrade to .699?.. I mean, i dont have anything broken (pleasantly suprised i am) so hopefully someone can identify what .699 offers..free dancing girls app or something?..
    05-25-10 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD