Hey there,

I just got the following SMS from my carrier:

Dear Etisalat BlackBerry Customer,
    Etisalat is always keen to provide you with the best BlackBerry service and ultimate experience, for that we will be sending a performance enhancement batch that you need to install on your device, for more information please call 101

What is this performance enhancement batch?! Would be interesting to know _before_ I install anything...

Cheers
    07-08-09 05:16 AM
    Some of my users received this last week as well. I called 101 today & was advised that its a 'fix' for the network issues they've been having over the last few weeks. It will be sent to you "within 45 days" and you click on a link and the update happens automagically.

In typical Etisalat fashion they couldn't tell me anything useful on a technical level, but my questions led to the fact it's not an OS upgrade, a BES Admin can't roll this out to their clients in a controlled manner. (What a great idea, let's get users used to running software updates themselves sent via SMS!)

I got the email address of the next level support so I'll see if I can get anything useful from them & advise.
    07-08-09 05:41 AM
    Yeahl well.. Etisalat
    07-08-09 05:54 AM
    Btw I just received the "package" which is an app. (You can always uninstall it from the applications menu).
    07-08-09 06:21 AM
    all arabian gulf providers have problems ! why cant they make it perfect ,, with Zain Kuwait .. u cant use ur 3g ! it restarts your blackberry
    07-08-09 06:43 AM
    Etisalat is also not providing 3G. (You can use it but its EDGE speed so it basically just drains your battery)
    07-09-09 01:18 AM
    so i reckon its network problems

not the device itselves
    07-09-09 05:38 AM
    Btw somehow this patch just drains the freaking battery! I cant believe it. Really.
    07-09-09 06:41 AM
    whats this software called in applications?
    And does BB services work, if i uninstall it?

This just drained my Entire Freakin Battery on 8900!!!
    07-10-09 03:29 PM
    lol

The battery drain just plain sucks.
    07-10-09 03:31 PM
    Its called "Registration" but its not in the list which means you cant uninstall it...
    07-10-09 03:55 PM
    Actually I have an uninstall 3rd pparty software and I removed it

I spoke to etisalat helpdesk and thy hv rec many complaints but they told me to do this

1. Install software
    2. After installing charge phone for 3 hours non stop atleast
    3. Then after that remove battery and put it back again (reboot)
    4. Then it should b fine

Just wanted to share with everyone. Even u can try and give feedback

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 04:00 PM
    The Battery drains, browsing becomes woefully slow and the BB just becomes sluggish. More importantly the BB becomes hot and cannot be held to the ear!!! Clearly this batch is not compatible with a 9000. Where do I get the s/w to unintall! HELP!!
    07-11-09 01:36 AM
    i got about 5 messages from etisalat saying i need to install their "performance enhancement patch" but when i finally did so, the freakin' thing just drained out my battery!

is there any way to uninstall this? i tried calling etisalat, but they are just hopeless cases...
    07-11-09 05:17 AM

I spoke to etisalat helpdesk and thy hv rec many complaints but they told me to do this

1. Install software
    4. Then it should b fine

what's that 3rd party software you used to uninstall it and where can i download it?

thanks.
    07-11-09 05:29 AM
    Could you give me the details of the 3rd Party Software you used. I'm having a real issue resolving this

1. Install software
    4. Then it should b fine

07-11-09 06:06 AM
    I noticed the battery drain issue too. I havent managed to uninstall the "registration" application yet, but if you follow these instructions, it will stop the battery from draining.

Options -> Advanced Options -> applications -> scroll to the "Registration" application -> Click the BB Menu button to get options -> Edit Permissions -> set all fields to DENY.

You will then need to reboot and the BB battery should be back to normal.
    07-11-09 03:43 PM
    I am also having this problem. But my application list does not show "Registration". Since this whole thing happened over the weekend, I havent got a chance to raise the issue with my IT team. Will do so today and revert if they find any solution.
    I charged the battery to full last night and this morning its switched off. Earlier it wud show low battery after about 2 days.. but now it just switches off. Etisalat hasd to go a long way. Dont know why they get into things which they cant handle.
    07-11-09 10:38 PM
    i tried my luck at the etisalat office again yesterday, but i did not get any straight answer or any solution from them.

what they basically said was that, if you are having the problem of battery drain and handset heating, you call 101 and report the issues and their engineering department will send you a new patch.

i can't believe they distributed a patch without testing it?! there are probably hundreds of BIS / BES subscribers and a lot are experiencing this problem and don't realize that the issues relate to etisalat's patch. the lady in the counter even told me that in the last few days, a lot of customers are looking for batteries!

once again, etisalat has screwed things up...
    07-12-09 12:28 AM
    that sucks.. after installing the patch.. the phone started to act weird and it was over heating.. i knew that it has to do with this freakin' patch they sent.. i tried looking for it on applications but coudnt find it.. the battery drain is just so bad..
    07-12-09 01:37 AM
    Options -> Advanced Options -> applications -> scroll to the "Registration" application -> Click the BB Menu button to get options -> Edit Permissions -> set all fields to DENY.
    Yeah I wanted to share the same. You can just restict the app permissions to get over it... However this is just ridiculous. Once again.
    07-12-09 06:33 AM
    the problem is i cant find 'Registration' in applications ?!
    07-12-09 06:40 AM
    Click Menu - Modules. There you find "Registration"
    07-12-09 06:41 AM
    Can't find 'registration' in the application list to remove or deny permissions.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party software to remove?
    07-12-09 08:08 AM
    I just wrote it: Look in modules!!
    07-12-09 09:12 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD